Ideal PLO stats for TAG/LAG in Micros?

• acerbikas
      acerbikas
      Silver
      Hi.

I was wondering what could be considered -ideal- stats for PLO, say, 25 or 50 playing lag or tag style? I know it all depends on the table, on the players, but overall, what should one aim for?
  • 6 replies
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Don't aim to anything, as it won't do you any good. I will make a wild guess, you are holdem player? Holdem players have this fixation to aim for certain stats, and in that game it might be a good thing. But in PLO it's not that simple. As most of the big decisions are made postflop, you won't be making many even with perfect preflop stats if you don't know how to play.

And you preflop ranges are defined by your postflop play. What you can do, what you can't do, what you like to do etc. When you know how you play postflop (concidering your abilities, villains, table dynamics etc) that will give you answer how to play preflop.

And it is highly dependable on position. If your overall stats are like 25/18/8 preflop, but you open that 18 from every position, it's not good.

I have seen players with solid predlop stats, but they are losing a ton of money. Their 10% UTG raises include hands like 3356r. In PLO you can't define exact ranges from the stats, like in holdem.

So stop hunting the stats, but learn the game and make good decisions in all situations.
    • TurnitAce
      TurnitAce
      Bronze
      You are right about learning the postflop play. Probably the only big decision that you can make preflop is to 4bet shove AAxx with no more than 150BB, the rest you can take it postflop and if you know how to play there, you make profit in the long run. But as you say and evrybody should know that is more difficult to learn postflop play in PLO than NLH.
    • bigdwong
      bigdwong
      Bronze
      I don't use a HUD but if I did, I'd probably use VPIP and then maybe PFR and 3bet.

VPIP is nice just to know how loose of a range you are playing against postflop.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Originally posted by bigdwong
      I don't use a HUD but if I did, I'd probably use VPIP and then maybe PFR and 3bet.

VPIP is nice just to know how loose of a range you are playing against postflop.
      Overall VPIP and PFR really don't tell you anything. You can have 2 guys playing 23/19 in NL holdem and one of them opens 10% of hand UTG and 50% of hand on the BU while the other guy with same stats opens up 19% of hands from all positions.
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      But this isn't no limit holdem. This is PLO where VPIP and PFR tell you an awful lot about the player. :f_biggrin:
    • bigdwong
      bigdwong
      Bronze
      I think some players play a lot of hands in PLO, and like Ribbo said, it's more relevant to identify these players through seeing a high VPIP probably