Uber-Tilt!!

• theloniousbones
      theloniousbones
      Bronze
      Full Tilt Poker, NL Hold'em Tournament, 200/400 Blinds, 50 Ante, 9 Players
      LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

SB: 18,699
      BB: 8,937
      UTG: 7,072
      UTG+1: 14,898
      UTG+2: 20,259
      MP1: 12,275
      MP2: 15,120
      CO: 6,630
      Hero (BTN): 19,599

Pre-Flop: (1,050) A:heart: 3:heart: dealt to Hero (BTN)
      6 folds, Hero raises to 1,200, SB raises to 3,200, BB folds, Hero calls 2,000

Flop: (7,250) J:diamond: 7:heart: 2:diamond: (2 Players)
      SB bets 4,800, Hero calls 4,800

Turn: (16,850) J:spade: (2 Players)
      SB bets 10,649 and is All-In, Hero folds

Results: 16,850 Pot (16,850 Rake)
      SB showed T:spade: 6:spade: (a pair of Jacks) and LOST (-8,050 NET)

I just hate this kind of crap.... I had such a strong feeling he was bluffing too, but just couldn't convince myself to call.....

Lesson learned.
  • 8 replies
    • tzveti
      tzveti
      Bronze
      Actualy, i cant see how anyone can call that bet.
      In fact I dont see how you can call even the reraise and the bet on the flop.
      Clearly you're playing for the flush, you dont get it or a draw to it on the flop, so fold to a bet, else even if an ace came, you cant know that you're ahead (without additional info the villain played like a high ace, AJ-AK possibly or a PP like 9's or 10's.You couldnt be ahead except if you put him on a complete bluff - then just continue to the end with calling him down

But in the end, calling preflop and on the flop are the two mistakes you should be focusing about, and not the folding on the turn - which was actually the right decision...
    • theloniousbones
      theloniousbones
      Bronze
      Very true, but I had a good read on this guy, having played him a few times before (had notes) and we were at that table for a while.

Quick synopsis is that he recently rebounded when he hit a set of Kings, but only a few hands before this he nearly went broke when he bluffed down T7 of diamonds on a K59AQ board with no diamonds, and showed a few other bluffs before.

My summary of this hand:

-Typical blind steal, though I could've raised more. I was quite sure my Ace put me ahead, but I didn't want to r/r his re-steal and commit to the hand PF.
      -Smooth-called his flop bet as I was going to r/r the turn as long as there was no diamond and the board didn't pair. At this point I'm putting him on a suited connector like 45 or 56, outside chance he has A7+ or a small pocket pair like 22-66, though I doubt it I still prefer to see a heart and/or an Ace/3/4/5 come on the turn.
      -Turn comes J:spade: and he insta-pushed, showing a lot of aggression. My read there is that in the past he's opted to slow-play big hands, so I think his push is BS. He just bet too quickly to have a J.
      -At this point I know he's bluffing, but a little voice kept me thinking he had 44-55 or the like at which point I'm down to 3 outs, at which point I have to fold against all my instincts.

Then showed me, which really puts me into tilt. I was right and went against my intuition= Major Tilt.

But really I just posted this to vent. :D
    • tzveti
      tzveti
      Bronze
      Well actually, its a tournament play, and you have like 40 BB's...
      You tried to steal, and got reraised.With your hand, I see like two options
      1) You put him on a complete bluff - you push all in and let him deal with it
      2)You give him respect for some hand - there you have two suboptions
      a)fold -weak ace, even suited, isnt the exact hand to commit a large portion of your stack with .
      b) decide to see a flop and play for the flush -
      And when you do see it,you see that you have only a backdoor flush and 3 outs which are not so sure - after all even a maniac can pick up good hands from time to time.If he actually checked on the flop, its OK to bet.But he did bet and you have to think again -
      a)total bluff etc- reraise all in if you think its worth it
      b) even if he was bluffing preflop, he could easily raise you with a JX or to get funky, a 72?In that case, you're in the worst shape - just fold , no need to risk your tournament life..
      Here goes the turn - here actually, betting speed cant mean anything - maybe he wants you to think he bet too fast, mb your internet spiked two seconds before the turn and you got it too fast(afterlag), mb he's just playing more tables and now has only one active etc etc...
      Like i said, it would be much help if you put him in the worst possible hand for you, instead of taking out possibilites - its 9 handed, very possible he has an ace, and every ace is higher than yours or already made a pair.As I said, hands like JX (even J2 IMO) are highly possible even if you put him on a bluff. So fold is rly correct, no matter tells or intuition.
      We see such tells in big live poker tournaments, but online, we're rly limited.Just play safe, and fold on the flop after it doesnt bring you anything good.
      His final cards didnt actually matter, as played , your final desicion was correct. And that's all that matters!
    • theloniousbones
      theloniousbones
      Bronze
      Correct on all points, Tz...

I guess I should've noted that this entire hand is based upon the fact that I have a read on the villain. I knew his style, I knew he would bluff re-steal and I knew he was beat and I still folded.... then he shows me I was right....

T.I.L.T.

But like I say, lesson learned :D

I'm vented now
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      if he's bluffy A2s is good enough to put him all-in pre this far from the real money in a multi-table tournament, IMO.
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Yup, the one thing you shouldnt do is play as passively as you did play, giving him chance to draw up on you while paying him off if he has the goods.
      If you're sure he's bluffing, put him all in preflop and see if its true.
    • finchybg
      finchybg
      Bronze
      If you're sure he's bluffing, put him all in preflop and see if its true.
      actually i have found concretely in such situations that this easier said than done.

you need much of a poker heart I guess :)
    • RMB
      RMB
      Bronze
      Originally posted by chenny8888
      if he's bluffy A2s is good enough to put him all-in pre this far from the real money in a multi-table tournament, IMO.
      I 2nd that.