UTG+1: $4.77 - VPIP: 16, PFR: 12, 3B: 2, AF: 4.5, Hands: 138
      UTG+2: $3.09 - VPIP: 11, PFR: 8, 3B: 5, AF: 0.8, Hands: 102
      MP1: $9.25 - VPIP: 13, PFR: 9, 3B: 1, AF: 2.5, Hands: 213
      MP2: $12.12 - VPIP: 16, PFR: 11, 3B: 23, AF: 1.5, Hands: 37
      CO: $2.00 - VPIP: 8, PFR: 6, 3B: 4, AF: 0.0, Hands: 266
      BTN: $1.78 - VPIP: 14, PFR: 10, 3B: 2, AF: 3.8, Hands: 404

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is SB with J :diamond: A :spade:
      7 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, BB calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.40) T :diamond: J :club: 7 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, BB calls $0.30

Turn: ($1.00) 5 :club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.80, BB calls $0.80

River: ($2.60) K :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, BB folds

Wondering if I should put a smallish bet on the river?
  • 5 replies
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi Sikac,

Considering your opponent stats, what do you expect him to call your river bet with?
    • HansTheGreat
      HansTheGreat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by luizsilveira
      Hi Sikac,

Considering your opponent stats, what do you expect him to call your river bet with?
      Hey Luiz,

Always nice to see you from time to time. Well actually this is more like a block bet. Because I dont beat much but I can t also stand a big bet on the river so this should hopefully stop him from bluffing me and ata the same time hope since he is extremly loose that he capable of calling with weaker Jx and maybe some AT.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Sikac,

I like the idea of block-bet there, especially against so loose opponent. Nice hand!

Best Regards.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Sikac
      Hi Sikac,

Hey Luiz,

Always nice to see you from time to time. Well actually this is more like a block bet. Because I dont beat much but I can t also stand a big bet on the river so this should hopefully stop him from bluffing me and ata the same time hope since he is extremly loose that he capable of calling with weaker Jx and maybe some AT.
      Thanks for the greeting =) .

I agree with the calling range there but why do you think a small blockbet would prevent him from bluffing? In some cases it might actually induce a raise, especially on boards like that when your opponent is aggressive and have no showdown value.

To be honest, I have my doubts about "stopping him from bluffing", even though indeed his bluffing range is narrow and might be just some 87 (pair+GS).

All in all, I do think we might have some value vs. QJ and T9/AT hands but that's about it. I don't think against a slightly more aggressive opponent I like such a small bet though as it's so face up - I'd bet more like $1.05 to $1.5 myself.

It's tricky... I'd like more your betsize against a more passive opponent who would snap with T9, T8 or AT. But if he will fold whose I think you can either bet bigger (so you also represent bluffs, go figure) or even check/call if he will stab wide (if he is loose and bad aggressive he doesn't necessarily realize there is no value in betting most Tx and Jx there - some players will bet if you check regardless of anything else).
    • HansTheGreat
      HansTheGreat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Sikac
      Hi Sikac,

Hey Luiz,

Thanks for the greeting =) .

I agree with the calling range there but why do you think a small blockbet would prevent him from bluffing? In some cases it might actually induce a raise, especially on boards like that when your opponent is aggressive and have no showdown value.

To be honest, I have my doubts about "stopping him from bluffing", even though indeed his bluffing range is narrow and might be just some 87 (pair+GS).

All in all, I do think we might have some value vs. QJ and T9/AT hands but that's about it. I don't think against a slightly more aggressive opponent I like such a small bet though as it's so face up - I'd bet more like $1.05 to $1.5 myself.

It's tricky... I'd like more your betsize against a more passive opponent who would snap with T9, T8 or AT. But if he will fold whose I think you can either bet bigger (so you also represent bluffs, go figure) or even check/call if he will stab wide (if he is loose and bad aggressive he doesn't necessarily realize there is no value in betting most Tx and Jx there - some players will bet if you check regardless of anything else).
      It is really a tricky spot I agree. But overall I made my opinion about how this stakes react to block bets. Against a maniac I wouldnt do it but against this guy how s AF is quite moderate(even sample size is small) I don t mind that much.. I have to say that from such opponents on this limits you will hardly induce bluffs with block bets. I reviewed it from time to time how they react (always looking to extract value) and they rarely reraise it. The only people to do that are mostly maniacs or TAG. This above is only mentioned to FR since in SH play I don t have that much of experience. Also have to add that his also capable of defending his blinds very wide which includes even weaker Jx (as you mentioned just one Jxhand), GS + Pair plus draw. So against such I really dont mind if they are not that aggressive. But you also have a point and I m very happy that you find interesting my bet. Love to see more opinion especially if you and Veriz have different ones. Love poker discusions .