lztom

• 6 replies
    • lztom
      lztom
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

To earn some additional income and to enjoy myself.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)

Not much knowledge of poker mathematics to wager most effectively and take advantage of probabilities. Little experience of hand and situation analysis to put my opponents on the correct range of hands etc.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)

To be selective with what hands to play but to play aggressively when I do enter the game. This works by avoiding entering the game with non-optimum starting hands and when I am in the game allowing me to play aggressively and in position to pressure my opponent into mistakes.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

We will concentrate on the math part in this course as well and in the end you will have an exam where you have a lot math to do. Prepare for it. :)

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • lztom
      lztom
      Bronze
      Homework #2

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why? (Are there any hands you would play differently? Do you have a problem or question about how a specific hand or hands should be played?)

Extending the range of starting hands you either limp with or raise with instead of limping with the aim of maximising the expected value in any particular situation. Doing so based on the following criteria: the type of opponents I'm facing, the history at the table. The best way to start doing this would be to look at possibilities for blind stealing (e.g. from On The Button against 2 tight aggressive players on the blinds) and isolation situations.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. ( Post your hand in the Hand evaluation forums and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

I posted this thread on the evaluation thread about going all in preflop:

Kk preflop, noob

Not strictly about preflop, but I posted this one too so I'll link to it here too :)

Tt noob

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 46.32% 37.92% 8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1 53.68% 45.27% 8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some tight opponents who give up their blinds either preflop or postflop, why not to adjust? Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • lztom
      lztom
      Bronze
      Homework 3

Question 0: Download and install the Equilab. (You can download the Equilab for free here: PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)

Done :)

Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53? (Tip: you can use the Equilab to help you with this task.)

Preflop:
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 51.25% 50.86% 0.39% { 33 }
      MP3 48.75% 48.36% 0.39% { KQs, KQo }

Post flop:

Board: Jd5h3c
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 96.28% 96.28% 0.00% { 33 }
      MP3 3.72% 3.72% 0.00% { KQs, KQo }

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)

There is 91c in the pot and it is costing me 22c to call. This represents just over 4:1 pot odds. I am drawing at the nut flush (a 4:1 shot) so it is just about a value call, although the rake could affect this. However, I feel that is possible that I could get the villain to call a small bet on the river, particularly if he holds a pocket pair and hits trips or if a club is drawn that makes a straight for him; this improves my implied odds. There is a small chance that he already hit trips on the flop and could conceivably hit quads on the river; however, why did he not bet earlier to try and get value on his trips? I would suggest that mid to high pocket pair, say between 77 and 1010 is a very feasible holding for him here. All things considered, this is a call for me.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the hand evaluation forum and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

66, fold on flop
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!