Never played tourny's

• Roya1flush
      Roya1flush
      Bronze
      hi guys

I have never played tourny's and thinking of giving it a try, which poker room would you suggest (Party or Mansion) and how different is it to cash games (Like starting hands, playing tight etc)

Also what limit should i start with and also how profitable is it?

Cheers
  • 9 replies
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      (i'm assuming SNG here)

i think mansion is better for the lower limits, as the rake is not so crippling. play very very tight at the start, and loosen up progressively as the blinds increase. then once you get to around 14BB effective stack, use the ICM and push/fold only :) . we have a lot of nice articles and quizzes regarding this.

limit to start at = around 50x buy-in for single tables, and 100x for multitables.

profitability is pretty good. at the lower limits i'd probably expect decent players to earn around 15% ROI per tournament, which works out to be a pretty nice hourly rate :D .
    • Roya1flush
      Roya1flush
      Bronze
      Yup SnG's

I have only half day work tomorow so i might give it ago.. ill start off at the very low limits as i have never played a SnG so need to get use to it..

I am a decent cash game player but SnG is different to cash...

also i have never played heads up before so it will be a challenge if i get to heads up...
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      You mean One table Sit and Go's or Big Multitable tournaments?
      Actually the strategy articles are rly well written, they apply even for big tournaments.
      The key factor is to change gears - being tight while entering some with marginal/speculative hands, waiting for premuim to raise/reraise. As the blinds increase, so does your aggression - but remember, your aggression must be a wisely selected one, according to stack/positions.
      You need to know that you dont have to win a lot of pots. I did win a SnG seeing only three flops - two all ins which made me up second in the heads up, then i stole some until i had him covered, then he called me on the worse moment.
      SO selective aggression is the key as the blinds increase.
      And when they increase even more, we enter the so-called push-or-fold mode.This is very nicely explained, and PS.com built a software ( ICM) which you can download for free and practice. In the last mode , its all about calculations - especially in big tournaments ( I had an amazing experience - was 64th , In the money zone was from 65th, 68 players remaining.I had three and a half bb's, looked to the other three guys below me and saw them having less than a BB and being forced to go all in in 2-3 hands. My turn to post the BB, seen the miracle KK's, but a raise from the button who had me covered made me fold, he showed A9, and i didnt want to take that chance. SO survival is rly important here, and sometimes you have to make your decisions accordingly.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      ok, as a general rule, in heads up:

if you have 8 big blinds or less, you can profitably push any two cards first to act.

if you have 12 big blinds or less, start pushing any king etc.

if you have 13 or more use normal steal/resteal type play. and don't be afraid to get it in for 16 or so big blinds with A2o :) .

also, make sure you don't play any 20% rake tournaments (ie like the partypoker $2.4+$0.6). they are very difficult to play profitably!

@darkonebg... not good man! the money at MTT is for the top 5 positions or so. you should always be aiming to get there! survival is very very very unimportant, you want to take any +EV decision at the "early" stages of a tournament. do not be afraid of busting out of the so-called "money" bubble for MTT! it pays far less proportionately to the first couple places.
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Well, it was a pretty big tournament with a higher entry fee than i should afford - a long shot in general. I was struggling to get ITM, and I prefered taking 3x my buyin rather than playing 3 hours for nothing.And i was extremely shortstacked, the last five of us being outchipped by 62th by 10:1 or worse.Actually, i was ITM in two hands, picked AQ in four hands and tripled-up, then finishing 2-3 places short of the final table - So i believe that in the particular case, my desision was correct. OFC its an instant push in every SnG,but a 1000+ players tournament ITM zone is juicy!

about the head's up, you summed it up.The nice thing about SnG's (especially turbo ones) is that by the time your heads-up you are already in push-or-fold mode.
      Ace high is 80% of the time the best hand,and any pocket pair is the nuts preflop :P . In late tournament play, with very big blinds, you shouldnt rly be passive and give the blinds away.
      On the other hand, its a very simplified aspect of the heads up. Im still waiting for a heads-up article, a guy from the diamonds promised he'll write one :)
    • Roya1flush
      Roya1flush
      Bronze
      cheers for the information guys, i think i have to start reading all the articles on SnG and MTTs..

I think ill stay away from MTTs, let me get use to SnG first :)

Just looking at the Mansion SnGs and most low limits are turbos and top 2 paid..

All the $2 ones are turbos and blinds increase at 3mins.. and top two paid...

which should i try?
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      that's fine. start on those.

but remember that third doesn't get paid, so abuse the 3rd->2nd bubble by pushing slightly wider when you get 3-handed.

@darkone: ah, but that's why you don't play with scared money :P !!

as a good player once mentioned (something like this):

"it's a big live tournament, 25/50 blinds with 20000 stacks, folded around to the SB who pushes. he flips up AKo by accident, and i look down at 22. i'm always calling this"
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Well actually, the tournament fee is to be wathed closely here
      the 1$ are 1$+0.2$ or even 1$+0.3$ , while the 2$ are 2$+0.2$, thus making it a lot better investition if you have the bankroll to afford it.
      I dont like that top 2 paid, in most sites its top 3 ( in FTP its top 3 with 1 seat less), but in mansion its fishier.
      Also, turbos are increasing your hourly profit if you win them as much as normal ones, but being dealt less hands, the variance factor increases over the skill/strategy one.

You might also consider playing freerolls ever once and then - they are much like
      the lower buyins MTTs, with the ITM zone being shorter ofc..

@chenny I agree, scared money it was, but it ended boosting my BR not badly at all(+90%).Being told that i used around 10% of it to enter the tournament in the first place ( which is waay too much , but tilt does wonders), Im happy the way it went.
    • Roya1flush
      Roya1flush
      Bronze
      Just starting my 1st SnG, Wish me luck lol..