ATTN STTers : Q and A with lessthanthreee video!

• lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

A little introduction about me:
      For those of you who do not read my blog, I have been an active member of ps.com since 2009 (and a hand evaluator/coach since mid 2010). From the $50 starting capital I have moved up through the STT ranks where I a have been playing professionally for 1 year.
      For more info you can read through my blog (its very long).

I want to do a Q and A video aimed at sharing my experiences and advice for those wanting to climb the SnG ranks.

But, I need your help! I want you guys to ask me ANYTHING about poker, and I will choose the best questions to make a Q and A video. Hopefully my experiences can help you with the ups and downs of this crazy game we love. Questions can be general, specific, strategy, meta-game, schedule etc... anything!

I will attempt to answer any other Qns that dont make the video in this thread.

Please post all questions in this thread.

Cheers!
  • 31 replies
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      Is a positive ROI (long term) before RB/bonuses still achievable long term at the highest stakes STTs in your opinion?

If not, what it is the highest limi tyou believe a postive ROI (before RB/bonuses) is achievable at STTs?
    • antstruk
      antstruk
      Bronze
      At what BI level do you believe a Software (PT3, HUD) is absolutely necessary?

Biggest mistakes micro sng players make <$15

Really good of you to do this and great blog
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      wow! what a super thread.

looooove it :heart:

cmon guys, what are you waiting for? take advantage of lessthanthreeeeeeeee

most common beginner mistakes?
      how many hours/day do u need to spend playing/stuying to properly advance in the game?
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      (This continues with Wasy's question) Do you think the games are becoming too tough? Especially for those just starting out?

Do you review your sessions? How?

How did you learn ICM?

If you could go back to when you were a beginner, what advice would you give yourself?

How do you get over the frustrations of downswings? This month I've found I've made mistakes simply because I had a few ugly situations, so how do you manage to keep playing an A game?

How did you get to multitable so much so soon? How would you encourage someone else to learn that?
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Do you agree with the general sentiment "The solution to profiting in STTs is pure volume" ?

And indeed that "Quantity over exceptional quality" is more profitable in the end? (As in, you only need to be good and not strive to become the absolute best, and playing enough games will eventually lead to you profiting more as you play more players weaker than yourself, to compensate for when you're faced with opponents tougher/better than you are.)
    • kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      When do you recommend a good time to get 1 on 1 coaching ?

What tools do you recommend to work on ICM ? I have heard that SNGWiz is not the be all and end all. What are your thoughts ?

For beginners, what do you recommend is best way to work on your game away from the tables ? Posting HH ? Watching/analysing video (what format - live, session review) ?

How do you deal with the mental side of the game ? Not tilting, but starting a session ?
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      At which limit can one start to think about real money?
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      With so little time in a SnG, how do you manage to differentiate between the different styles/moves of recreational players?
    • deathult
      deathult
      Bronze
      Do you think, lets say in 5-10 years, playing poker proffesionaly will become harder and not profitable, because a lot of peple are starting to get some knowledge about the game?
    • MilanBurdych
      MilanBurdych
      Bronze
      I like this idea for video!

I have little bit similar question as above. I believe you were thinking about playing high stakes sngs at PokerStars and did some calculations and so on, so do you think it is more profitable to play 100+ stakes (obv with some 60s to have enough volume) thn playing low/mid stakes with solid volume? I didnt try it on my own but I did some observations and there are almost no 100+ turbo 9mans running, so I would have to play 6max, 18mans, probably 45mans, both turbo and normal and select and select and select. With enormous swings that I would most definitely have because of very low ROI, do u think it is more profitable? TO be concrete - I can make about 4k$ at 15$ ABI a month (last 5 months). I have roll and backer, but I am still not sure I would make much more at higher stakes and consistantly. It would make sense only if I had positive ROI and I made Supernova Elite, so the profit would mostly come from rakeback. What is your opinion, did you think about movin up there and whats your observations, calculations...
      Hope it makes sense what am askin ;)

Gl and thank you.
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      have similar concerns to wasy8. since full tilt 's demise (no more fixed % rakeback), has volume goals become much more important that you will sacrifice on table selection often? This is in relation to the fact that all the rakeback deals now are vip program based where hitting certain monthly volume targets greatly improves your rakeback / roi.

How in general has it changed your approach to grinding on stars vs full tilt before this?
    • Gentari
      Gentari
      Global
      I have just started taking SnGs seriously and have always been a standard speed player.

At the micro $7s & $15s which would be best to play?

Turbo payers get crazy earlier, perhaps I just need to man up and get in there :)
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      I figure I must be crap at sng's... I've played about 5k in different formats (STT, DON, MTT, HU) and basically, I lose apart from the odd upswing even though I feel that I'm playing better than my opponents... we're talking micro stakes here lol. What gets me though, is at micro limits I'm a winning CG player and it seemed that more often than not these losing sng sessions were mostly me shoving and being called by worse and being knocked out over and over again.

So my question... Just how big do the swings get for a winning player and what is the best approach to learning ICM? ICM is the thing I never fully understood but I still hit 95%+ in the ICM trainer over hundreds of hands... ? I guess I'm wondering whether I am indeed crap at sng's or if I've just run really badly lol
    • inlovewithamsterdam
      inlovewithamsterdam
      Bronze
      Awesome questions so far people! Great thread lessthanthree. I always enjoy your videos. Looking forward to this one. I've got several questions. Some of them are in line with what was asked already.

1. I'm wondering if you consider Stars a Reg-Infested site? At what point (in terms of BI - $15, 30$ etc) you think Regs start to affect one's winrate considerably on this poker room? Would you recommend PS SNG griding over any other bankroll-building method?

2. What does one need to proceed through Reg-infested stakes with a good ROI?

3. What stats do you recommend a player to have on their hud in SNGs? Does your advice differ much across stakes?

4. I'd also like to hear about common SNG beginners' mistakes.

Thanks a lot.
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      thanks guys, some good Qns so far. would like a few more replies before I start producing :)

cheers!
    • Flashman1849
      Flashman1849
      Bronze
      How do achievable ROIs compare between turbo and non-turbo 9-man STTs? Are 6-man STTss more or less profitable than the 9-mans, at both turbo and non-turbo? Can you give your own ROIs at these different structures?

How many tables do you play at once, and how do you manage this - in sets, continuously, a mix of both? How many sets (if applicable) and how many hours a day, and how many days a week, do you play? How many weeks per year do you allow yourself to take off as holidays?

When are the best times of day and days of the week to play?

What skills are needed at, say, the $30 STTs that are unnecessary for the $15s? And similarly, for progressing from the $30s to the $60s?
    • dydukas
      dydukas
      Platinum
      Hi, I play short handed SNGs. Let's consider SNG skill consists of: early game postflop skills; mid game steal/resteal ranges; late game ICM and FGS appliance; 12-40 bb HU game. Which part do you think is the most important and gives the biggest boost to ROI? Or do you think they're all equally important?
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      You're playing against a table of unknowns. Its still early and someone 4Bets your QQ. What do you do? Would different limits alter your decision?
    • inlovewithamsterdam
      inlovewithamsterdam
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MattDenness
      You're playing against a table of unknowns. Its still early and someone 4Bets your QQ. What do you do? Would different limits alter your decision?
      Great question. Could we please add AK to that? Cheers.

edit: I misread it, I actually wanted the question to be about an unknown 3 BETTING us Early stage when we hold AK/QQ.

Apologize.