How many BI are lost to coolers/bad beats?

• 3 replies
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well that really depends on what you consider a cooler. Bad beats are seen in HEM all in EV.
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      HEM will tell you what your standard deviation is... Reports > Click the green cross at the bottom of the stats window > under default stats select std dev bb > save and then refresh the report.

eg. My standard deviation over 10k hands at nl2 fr is 60 and winrate 12bb\100 so that means that over any 100 hand sample I can expect to be 60bb's either side of 12bb I believe. Essentially that means that over 1000 hands I could be 600bb's down but over 10k hands my winrate should come back to 12bb\100. The larger your sample size the more accurate this will be... Obviously over 10k hands you can't really tell anything but this is just an example for you.

From personal experience though I can tell you, swings can be baaad. I was coached by an nl50 reg on here last year and I was running something like 16 stacks below ev at nl5 SH over 42k hands whilst apparently crushing the limit lol. I've dabbled with sng's too and admittedly I'm shite at sng's but even at micro's you have cooler after bad beat after cooler - it can be relentless. I was winning over a decent sample of $1.75 18man sng's a good while back, something like 30% roi then boom, doomswitch... 40 buy ins down in no time.

All depends what you play and how you play but HEM will tell you your true standard deviation over whatever sample you have.
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Cool thanks so much!! Mine is 65.32