[NL2-NL10] NL 2 AKs UTG2

• VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      In this one, although I actually had the best hand pre, I saw nothing in the flop that made me want to continue, and there are a lot of pocket pairs hitting sets that could account for the betting, as well as made flushes and flush draws.

I know that "by the book" has this a fold to the re-raise pre-flop, but by then the pot odds were too good, and a decent flop would make this a great hand to play post flop. Didn't get the flop though...

Party, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players

BB: $2 (100 bb)
      Hero (UTG+2): $2 (100 bb)
      SB: $2 (100 bb)
      BTN: $2 (100 bb)
      CO: $0.60 (30 bb)
      MP3: $3.21 (160.5 bb)
      UTG+1: $2 (100 bb)
      MP1: $2.31 (115.5 bb)
      MP2: $2.82 (141 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K A
      CO posts BB OOP, UTG+1 folds, Hero raises to $0.10, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.10, MP3 calls $0.10, CO raises to $0.30, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.20, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.20

Flop: ($1.03) 7 9 2 (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $0.49, CO calls $0.30, Hero folds

Turn: ($1.63) J (2 players)
      River: ($1.63) J (2 players)

Results: $1.63 pot ($0.08 rake)
      Final Board: 7 9 2 J J
      Hero mucked K A and lost (-$0.30 net)
      CO mucked T A and lost (-$0.60 net)
      MP3 showed K J and won $1.55 ($0.95 net)
  • 4 replies
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, VorpalF2F.

I don't like the call at all.

Among other reasons:

1. You'll be out of position, making the hand a LOT tougher to play.

2. The CO has too short a stack! He already put 1/2 of his stack, so postflop you are actually only playing for the 0.30 remaining. Considering you only hit the flop 1/3 of the time, you will lose money even if you get his remaining stack every time you hit.

So, against his stack size it's an easy re-raise against him preflop. I wouldn't worry to much about the MP3 as he probably won't have a hand to call with - and even if he does call we're likely ahead or 50/50 against a small or medium pair.

But EVEN if he had a nice stack, I don't like the call. If he has QQ/JJ and you hit, he will be less willing to continue on a board with A or K and you will win a small pot. If he has AA or KK and you hit, you lose all your stack. So you win the small ones and lose the big ones, exactly opposite of what we should strive for.
    • HansTheGreat
      HansTheGreat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by luizsilveira
      But EVEN if he had a nice stack, I don't like the call. If he has QQ/JJ and you hit, he will be less willing to continue on a board with A or K and you will win a small pot. If he has AA or KK and you hit, you lose all your stack. So you win the small ones and lose the big ones, exactly opposite of what we should strive for.
      God damn AK really hard to play hand. So tell if you are facing here a squeeze by this player but he has 100BB stack? So you would either go for a 4bet/broke(I doubt that you would turn your hand into a bluff) or direct fold? It depends really on the opponent right?
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Sikac
      Originally posted by luizsilveira
      God damn AK really hard to play hand. So tell if you are facing here a squeeze by this player but he has 100BB stack? So you would either go for a 4bet/broke(I doubt that you would turn your hand into a bluff) or direct fold? It depends really on the opponent right?
      Yup, exatly.

But it's not only AK, any hand is hard to play out of position. AK and QQ are pretty much the same there.

edit: what I mean is, even with QQ if you call and an A or K comes you have no idea where you're at, if the flop comes low you're going broke vs. AA/KK anyway but you're not making money out of AK/AQ... so again you win the small and lose the big ones.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello VorpalF2F,

There is no way you going to play like that profitable in long run. You should rather just 4bet against CO and play for the stacks there. ;)

Calling is practically one of the worst line you could pick, giving others behind you good odds and at the same time you are going to play the hand OOP.

Best Regards.