[NL2-NL10] NL4 SH: AKo versus shove at flop

• michel2311
      Villain had 50/7 over a small sample. Calls the PFR as expected. I hit a TPTK on the flop villain checks and I cbet (protection and value) and then comes the shove...........I prefer a call here due the facts he is loose I range him at Ax or a draw and most times I will take the pot in this spot. Is this correct???

OnGame - $0.04 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

BB: $1.74
      UTG: $1.12
      CO: $2.14
      Hero (BTN): $3.70
      SB: $3.88

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.04

Pre Flop: ($0.06) Hero has A:club: K:diamond:

UTG calls $0.04, CO calls $0.04, Hero raises to $0.20, SB calls $0.18, fold, fold, CO calls $0.16

Flop: ($0.68, 3 players) 9:spade: 7:spade: A:heart:
      SB checks, CO checks, Hero bets $0.58, SB raises to $3.68 and is all-in, fold, Hero ??????
  • 2 replies
    • luizsilveira
      Hi, michel2311!

So far the player indicates he is very passive. Then all the sudden he check/goes all in, which is a weird but strong play.

Yes, he might think AT or AJ are strong enough. And he might also have a draw (of which you are ahead).

However, if a thus far passive player does it for the first time I'd usually respect it and make the tough fold as he will often show two pairs+ here. The price for you to call and "see" is pretty high here.

With a bit of reads (if he has done it before, or if he is tilted or annoyed you are raising him too often etc.) it's a very easy call as you say.

He might even be bluffing with pure air of course. The thing is: I don't mind if he does that once. And he won't be able to do that often and profitably, considering the price he's putting to it. So I'd observe the player a bit more to know if he is capable of bluffing like that first.

(finally, even if he does not realize that properly, he is shoving vs. two opponents. It's usually much less likely he is shoving random cards if there are two players who might actually call him).

So sorry to say, but I think it boils down a lot to your observations on the player. If he is too passive, easy fold; if he is too aggro/tilty, you can call. If you don't know yet, considering he's shown to be VERY passive pre flop, I'd fold.
    • veriz
      Hello michel2311,

The opponent is playing really loose here and where we could include even weaker Ax hands there. Of course we could say that he mainly plays passively with them but he also must see that there a draw which he needs to protect or might even have himself a strong draw. Even if we don't add all the Ax hands into his range and rather maybe 2pair type of hands/sets/strong Ax hands:

Board: 9:spade: 7:spade: A:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    45.65%  40.51%   5.14% { 99, 77, A7s+, JsTs, Ts8s, A7o+ }
      UTG+1  54.35%  49.21%   5.14% { AcKd }

Our equity will be still good enough here, so for that given reason and for the given opponent I wouldn't be folding it here and calling it down.

Of course if you are rather sure that he is passive player and wouldn't be shipping with worse or want to avoid rather not the biggest ++++EV spot then folding is also an option.

Best Regards.