What do you guys play on Betfair?

• SnowmenDK
      SnowmenDK
      Bronze
      Just got the 30$ starter capital yesterday, which was actually more like 26 something. Read an article on BRM and decided to play the SNG's with the lowest buy-in 0.11$, but im having a hard time playing them, because people make plays that makes absolutely no sense to me. So now im trying to figure out if I should move up to the 1.20$ SNG's, I do think 20% is an awful lot of rake, is it profitable to play these on the long run? I have tried a bit of micro stake cash game but found it to be extremely tedious.

So the question is, what did you guys play on betfair when you started out?
  • 8 replies
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi SnowmenDK,

It's many (oh far too many) years since I started out online. I do however remember starting out on the micro stt's similar to yourself.

20% rake does have an impact on your profitability of course but it is still possible to make a profit (over the long term), more so on poker platforms like Betfair because of the incredibly fishy nature of it's players.

You will often get people who use Betfairs sports/betting site trying out poker for something different to do. Their lack of poker knowledge does lead to poor play as you've described, but you can obviously take advantage of this over the longer term and some would say this actually outweighs the higher rake than some other platforms.

Of course I emphasise "long term" because as you will no doubt already appreciate there is a lot of variance in sng's, especially turbo format ones.

I think I eventually deposited some of my own funds and then moved up a level or two using that within BRM still ofc. It is however important that you use the opportunity that the free starting capital offers you to learn as much as you can initially on the micro buyins. This experience will be invaluable when you do finally more up the levels and any short term variance will be easier and cheaper to manage.

Good luck & don't forget to let us know how you get on or post a few hands in the sample hands forum to get an experienced second opinion from one of our coaches/hand judges and other members ;)

Best regards,

Bart
    • happyrichyyy
      happyrichyyy
      Global
      Sorry I'm a newbie in poker, and currently playing in betfair... I am wondering if SNG you mentioned means sit and go tournament? will it still generate points for our pokerstrategy account? Thanks
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by happyrichyyy
      Sorry I'm a newbie in poker, and currently playing in betfair... I am wondering if SNG you mentioned means sit and go tournament? will it still generate points for our pokerstrategy account? Thanks
      Hi happyrichyyy,

Yes, SNG means Sit and Go Tournaments. :)

Also, you collect points, known as StrategyPoints, by registering at one of our partner rooms and playing poker at the real money tables. The game type does not matter.

At Betfair Poker you receive 3 per $1 Rake.

Hope this helps
      Ingrid
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      I wanted to add that we're all very helpful here and don't be shy to ask away. Have you thought about joining our beginners course?
    • happyrichyyy
      happyrichyyy
      Global
      Originally posted by IngridN
      Originally posted by happyrichyyy
      Hi happyrichyyy,

Yes, SNG means Sit and Go Tournaments. :)

Also, you collect points, known as StrategyPoints, by registering at one of our partner rooms and playing poker at the real money tables. The game type does not matter.

At Betfair Poker you receive 3 per $1 Rake.

Hope this helps
      Ingrid
      Hi Ingrid, thank you for the information! Now I usually play cash game in micro stake type, however, for couple of days already, I ain't receiving any pokerstretegy point, I wonder why? Thanks.
    • 107e5
      107e5
      Basic
      Hi, i play 1.20 SNG turbo exclusively and i am profitable :)

If i can do it, you can do it. :)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Originally posted by 107e5
      Hi, i play 1.20 SNG turbo exclusively and i am profitable :)

If i can do it, you can do it. :)
      Nice one and so true :)
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      wow, you bumped a fairly old thread! :) How come you're still basic?

And happyrichyyy, how are the points coming along? You will be able to accumulate StrategyPoints if you're account is tracked via PokerStrategy.com.