Climbing the Limits

• tdust89
      tdust89
      Bronze
      Hi all,

My name is Travis and I am currently finishing my last semester at the University of Waterloo where I am studying Mathematics and Computer Science. I have been playing poker on and off since about the time I started University (about 4 1/2 years ago). Over the Christmas holidays I found Poker Strategy and decided that I wanted to take poker a little more seriously and in the last month I have competed in 160 SNGs (where I have done fairly well) and played 8k hands of FL (where I have not done well).

The purpose of this blog is to keep track of my progress as I move up through the limits and to set goals to motivate myself to improve my game so without further ado here are my starting goals.

I will be mainly be playing 3.50 SNGs and .25/.50 FL at PokerStars. In addition I intend to play the Big $2.20 3 or 4 times a week.

Goals for the rest of January

[ ] Reach Gold Status on Poker Strategy (I noticed today that I am less than 50 points away so it would be a shame if I was that close but didn't make it)

Goals for Feburary
      [X] Maintain Gold Status at Poker Strategy (assuming I get it)
      [ ] Read all of the Fixed Limit, SNG, and MTT gold article
      [ ] Achieve SilverStar VIP status at PokerStars
      [ ] Add 1 table per week (I currently play with 4 tables)
  • 5 replies
    • inlovewithamsterdam
      inlovewithamsterdam
      Bronze
      most interesting, fixed limit not often seen as one's default game! keep to your goals, maintain that mindset and you're certain to succeed.

grind away! today's the 31st (it's past 12am) and thus your last chance to get enough points for Gold. I'm pursuing gold myself atm but I don't think I'll manage to grind enough points out on this last day.

best of luck.
      Matt

edit: is it the FR 1 Table SNGs you're playing? If yes, you might want to think about switching sites to something less Reggy than Stars (for instance Party or Betfair), it'll be easier to grind the limits. But of course it's just me blabbering about on what I think is right, you're the decision maker!
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi Travis,

Wish you bets of luck at the tables and welcome to our blogs section! :)

Ingrid
    • tdust89
      tdust89
      Bronze
      Just a quick update,

I did not get to play that much last night because of school work (which must take priority over poker unfortunately) but I have 480SP before counting any points earned on the 30th or 31st so I think I am in good shape to reach gold status.

Originally posted by inlovewithamsterdam
      most interesting, fixed limit not often seen as one's default game! keep to your goals, maintain that mindset and you're certain to succeed.

grind away! today's the 31st (it's past 12am) and thus your last chance to get enough points for Gold. I'm pursuing gold myself atm but I don't think I'll manage to grind enough points out on this last day.

best of luck.
      Matt

edit: is it the FR 1 Table SNGs you're playing? If yes, you might want to think about switching sites to something less Reggy than Stars (for instance Party or Betfair), it'll be easier to grind the limits. But of course it's just me blabbering about on what I think is right, you're the decision maker!

Technically I started with SNGs so FL is not my default game :P . Having said that I may try my hand at the NL cash games at some point this month.

Stars is indeed quite reggy (I often have 3+ regs at each table) but thus far most of them don't seem to be all that good. I took a look at PartyPoker at the start of the month and the traffic for SNGs there seems to be pretty abysmal. Having checked out BetFair last night it looks pretty promising and I think I may have a go there to see if the micro SNGs are even easier there.

Thanks for the welcome Ingrid :)
    • taavi1337
      taavi1337
      Bronze
      Hi and good luck crushing the FL field!
    • tdust89
      tdust89
      Bronze
      Well it is now February and as you can I see I made gold status :) Time to get to reading the new articles and watching the new videos.

In order to achieve my goal of maintaining gold status I will need to receive 25 points a day for the entire month. Assuming that I manage to play enough each day to get the 10 bonus SPs I feel that I can probably achieve this (especially given that I will have plenty of time in my upcoming reading week).

I have played 37 SNGs (A mix of $1 and $3) so far this month and unfortunately I am down $2.30. I made some bad pushes and my opponents managed to suckout on me a couple of times.

Graph:

I'm hoping to get in about 20 more games tomorrow after class before going out to play board games with my girlfriend and some friends