AxsisHalon

• AxsisHalon
      AxsisHalon
      Bronze
      Hi,
      I'm 30 yeras old from Poland. I learnt to play poker as 5 yeras old kid, but it was 5draw version. Since then I like playing any card games not only poker, I'm also chess player so I'm familiaraised with my own games analysys, but I find it hard to do with no pr0 help. That's why I'm here. I recently lost some money in cash games and I realized I really suck and I need to fix leaks in my game.
      I hope to do this with this course :)

Q1:What is your motivation for playing poker?

I like competition and I find it really entertaining playing poker. But it is only 1% of my motivation 99% is for money. I'd like to become solid player who knows what he is doing, I wanna play live tournaments in the future and I know there is huge work in front of me, but I wanna go for it.

Q2:What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Leaks? there are here: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/407/statyo.jpg/
      90% is 6-handed play.
      I think I have problems to fold PPs and I overplay TPTK and top pairs or even medium pairs.

Q3:What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Tigh - means that u play selected hands which give u the most chances for winning
      Aggressive - dont limp! raise! put pressure on your opponents as under pressure they make mistakes. According to Sklansky any time your opponent makes mistake you GAIN, and this is what you want GAIN.
  • 10 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Based just on 5k hands we can't really say much but so far as I see you have couple of leaks, lets start from the very basics as starting hand chart, your VPIP/PFR gap is way too big. Afterwards you fix them we can continue with other leaks and if you have more hands. :)

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • AxsisHalon
      AxsisHalon
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

I'd limped medium pairs from EP,
      I dont like fold AQ if there is 1 limper, I would call or raise that hand
      depending on opponents I would steal with looser range

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation

already there :)
      NL10 quads value betting size

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

AK vs 88+ 45%-55%
      AK vs KK 30 - 70
      AK vs AA 18 - 82
      AK vs AJs+ 70 - 30
      AK vs KQs 70 - 30
      AK vs AK 50 - 50
      thats what I learnt from books, I never used programs to calculate equity.
      I'd like to learn how to calculate equity by table in my mind as I like more live poker then online one. I dont know how to calculate specific hand against hole range of hands.
      I downloaded Equilab but I cannot use it coz of errors :(
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Playing PPs can be in long run be very profitable, we could even say that you earn the most money with them. You can always try out either you play them profitable or not by check the programs either you are doing great on early position with PPs or not and base according to that.

I'd advice rather isolate with such hands as AQ, no way to Call with it since it's too strong vs 1 limper. :) Also AQo ain't good in multiway pots.

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some tight opponents who give up their blinds either preflop or postflop, why not to adjust? Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • AxsisHalon
      AxsisHalon
      Bronze
      Yes, I am coach!
      How to calculate equity of specific hand against hole range of hands? Is there any formula? I really dont like to lay on programs, I would like to calculate it myslef by the table.

Question 0: Download and install the Equilab

I did, but i cannot use it coz some errors appera and I cannot fix it.

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?

I assume here I'm not playing against 22,33,66 as he shouldn't give free cards which may beat his set. so or 1.he hit set 55 and he gives me ~4:1 odds for flush as he knows I'm ~6:1 coz i have to discount 2clubs or 3 diamonds(he doesnt know which draw i could play) so if i call here i need another ~0.42 from him on the river, I think I could get this from him if I hit on the river not discounted club. So implied odds let me call here.
      If I play against 44 = straight its almost same situation.
      Against 77-1010 and any other 2x 3x 5x 6x i have 15 clean outs, call.
      vs 2pairs as set, call.
      So i think Hero should call and see what will happen on the river, but its close fold situation as we dont beat anything on the turn and we facing raise

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation

hands already on forum, hardly discussed :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

Yes, there is a method which you could use, for example the formula which I will also mention in the 4th Homework after you post it again:

(Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • AxsisHalon
      AxsisHalon
      Bronze
      Hi coach,

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop

AJs nl10
      Jj Nl10
      JJ + monster draw NL10

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

Hl10 Sh Qq

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?

PF connectors against pp 45-55% and I dont know how the fact that they are suited affects equity.
      in the spot we can count 3xK,3xQ, and 4xT (as we completing K high straight with any T) as outs. Using the formula we have 10x4 - (10-8) = 38% equity
    • AxsisHalon
      AxsisHalon
      Bronze
      Hi coach,
      upadated homework.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you.
    • AxsisHalon
      AxsisHalon
      Bronze
      Hi,
      question 3 was not so difficult coz I've already known the formula and I knew the hand we played against, but I really enjoy the course and I read carefully your comments from hand evaluation forum, I try to evaluate other hands by myself but I dont think my comments have any value as I am begginer :)

about last week homework:
      Hand Evaluation Coaching - Homework #24 06.03.12

I'd say we cannot call the turn as we wont know where we stand on the river and we just have 12% to improve to nuts FH, so or we fold and give him a credit or we shove with hope he has AK or bluffs.
      I'd put him on 66-77 AJs+ on the flop and 66-77 AK on the turn since I think even so passive player would open-raise KK-AA preflop.
      Pretty tought decision here when passive gets aggresive.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Well, you can easily just evaluate the hand and see what others say afterwards. :) But of course don't forget to post your own hands as well, cause we want to fix our leaks not others. :P