[NL2-NL10] Nl10 Sh - Qq

• numbnutter
      numbnutter
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $5.03 (50.3 bb)
      SB: $13.70 (137 bb)
      BB: $10.51 (105.1 bb)
      UTG: $2.70 (27 bb)
      MP: $6.91 (69.1 bb)
      Hero (CO): $11.99 (119.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q Q
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, BTN folds, SB raises to $0.95, BB folds, Hero calls $0.65

Flop: ($2) 3 J 9 (2 players)
      SB bets $1.05, Hero raises to $3, SB raises to $12.75 and is all-in, Hero calls $8.04

Turn: ($24.08) K (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($24.08) 7 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $24.08 pot ($1.19 rake)
      Final Board: 3 J 9 K 7
      SB showed T A and won $22.89 ($10.90 net)
      Hero showed Q Q and lost (-$11.99 net)

SB played 26/18 over 99 hands with 10% 3bet (25% from SB).

Was this a fold? I didn't think he would play his made hands like this so put him on a draw. Maybe I should just call the flop and re-evaluate instead of raising?
  • 1 reply
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, numbnutter!

Those are insteresting questions.

I'm usually not calling here with QQ unless I have more info on villain's pre and postflop (99 hands is not really a sample).

I think once we decided to call it is to let him bluff... then again, problem is both by calling and raising we cut a bit the action. By raising he folds his A high (which we beat) but will prob. shove AA/KK anyway; by calling he might not second barrel an A high with no draw but certainly will AA/KK and we will call etc. So street by street we isolate ourselves vs. a stronger range.

Once we raise flop we turn our hand into bluff as he won't call with anything worse but we can't expect him to fold anything better. And even if he has Ax of spades he still has ~50% equity against us.

So all in all I wouldn't call with a strong hand like QQ preflop and would rather call with suited connectors and medium pairs if it is to outplay him postflop.

If I'm flatting strong hands (usually more like KK and AA, not QQ since it's a bit more vulnerable) then I'm calling down because I know the opponent will at least two barrel bluff in most spots with a big part of his range. Other than that it doesn't make much sense to call pre (imo) and 4betting is much better...