[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH - KJs

• numbnutter
      Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

UTG: $3.55 (35.5 bb)
      MP: $12 (120 bb)
      CO: $16.09 (160.9 bb)
      BTN: $6.69 (66.9 bb)
      Hero (SB): $14.36 (143.6 bb)
      BB: $10.40 (104 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K J
      2 folds, CO calls $0.10, BTN folds, Hero raises to $0.50, BB folds, CO raises to $1, Hero calls $0.50

Flop: ($2.10) 3 2 4 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $1.70, Hero calls $1.70

Turn: ($5.50) 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

River: ($5.50) Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $5.50, Hero calls $5.50

Results: $16.50 pot ($0.81 rake)
      Final Board: 3 2 4 9 Q
      CO showed A Q and lost (-$8.20 net)
      Hero showed K J and won $15.69 ($7.49 net)

Villain was a fish, 51/13 over 45 hands. His limp raise is pretty strong but for a minraise i'm not folding there. On the flop I pick up the flushdraw and it's unlikely he's hit anything except the gutshot, so I think I can call one bet here (maybe my overcards are good too). I'm probably folding to further aggression on the turn though.

River play: I don't always expect him to bet here but I don't think there's too much value in betting it myself. It's a very good card for him to represent though as his line can easily look like either the flush or he spiked a queen.
      Is there much value in raising it here, or do I just get called by the ace high flush and folds from everything else?
  • 1 reply
    • luizsilveira
      Hi, numbnutter.

Your line is a bit questionable here and there but since you are almost 150BB deep I don't mind it that much.

I do like your reasoning on the river and I do agree there is not much in checking to a passive player. He is bad but not all that passive though, as we can see from preflop and flop (then not betting the turn).

Anyway, I think *if* we decide to check here there is no other play but to check/raise or even check/shove (especially with his bet size on river).

Yes, the A high flush is out there... BUT the K, J and Q are already known so that cripples his nut flush combination (he only has A4 to A9) to have played like that).

I don't think a bad player he is ever folding any, any queen, and he might even call with TT/JJ since your line is so bluffy with the check/raise on the river.

So imo it's def. a shove for value.