This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH - KJs

• numbnutter
      numbnutter
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

UTG: $3.55 (35.5 bb)
      MP: $12 (120 bb)
      CO: $16.09 (160.9 bb)
      BTN: $6.69 (66.9 bb)
      Hero (SB): $14.36 (143.6 bb)
      BB: $10.40 (104 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K J
      2 folds, CO calls $0.10, BTN folds, Hero raises to $0.50, BB folds, CO raises to $1, Hero calls $0.50

Flop: ($2.10) 3 2 4 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $1.70, Hero calls $1.70

Turn: ($5.50) 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

River: ($5.50) Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $5.50, Hero calls $5.50

Results: $16.50 pot ($0.81 rake)
      Final Board: 3 2 4 9 Q
      CO showed A Q and lost (-$8.20 net)
      Hero showed K J and won $15.69 ($7.49 net)

Villain was a fish, 51/13 over 45 hands. His limp raise is pretty strong but for a minraise i'm not folding there. On the flop I pick up the flushdraw and it's unlikely he's hit anything except the gutshot, so I think I can call one bet here (maybe my overcards are good too). I'm probably folding to further aggression on the turn though.

River play: I don't always expect him to bet here but I don't think there's too much value in betting it myself. It's a very good card for him to represent though as his line can easily look like either the flush or he spiked a queen.
      Is there much value in raising it here, or do I just get called by the ace high flush and folds from everything else?
  • 1 reply
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, numbnutter.

Your line is a bit questionable here and there but since you are almost 150BB deep I don't mind it that much.

I do like your reasoning on the river and I do agree there is not much in checking to a passive player. He is bad but not all that passive though, as we can see from preflop and flop (then not betting the turn).

Anyway, I think *if* we decide to check here there is no other play but to check/raise or even check/shove (especially with his bet size on river).

Yes, the A high flush is out there... BUT the K, J and Q are already known so that cripples his nut flush combination (he only has A4 to A9) to have played like that).

I don't think a bad player he is ever folding any, any queen, and he might even call with TT/JJ since your line is so bluffy with the check/raise on the river.

So imo it's def. a shove for value.