[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH - KJs bluffcatch

• numbnutter
      numbnutter
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $5.77 (57.7 bb)
      BTN: $10.18 (101.8 bb)
      SB: $7.68 (76.8 bb)
      BB: $10.22 (102.2 bb)
      UTG: $11.26 (112.6 bb)
      Hero (MP): $13.84 (138.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J K
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $0.40, CO folds, BTN calls $0.40, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.95) T K 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, BTN raises to $1.40, Hero calls $0.70

Turn: ($3.75) Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($3.75) 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $3.50, Hero calls $3.50

Results: $10.75 pot ($0.52 rake)
      Final Board: T K 4 Q 8
      BTN showed J 7 and lost (-$5.30 net)
      Hero showed J K and won $10.23 ($4.93 net)

Villain was playing pretty loose, 36/22 with 33% cold call over 82 hands, and an AF of 3.17. Fold to cbet was only 33% (raise cbet 17%) so i'm expecting him to continue on most flops.

On the flop I think he's only repping a draw or air with his minraise. It's a fairly drawy board so i think made hands are gonna be raising bigger here. When he checks the turn he's repping either AJ/J9 that just hit and want to slowplay it, or nothing. River is pretty much a blank so when he bets so big i'm putting him on nothing most of the time, sometimes he has the straight but I have a jack so block a few combos. Is this a fair assumption?
  • 1 reply
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, numbnutter!

Your line is interesting. I just think the only assumption you can't make without reads is he will not minraise strong hands because the board is drawy. Many players don't even recognize a drawy board and can only see their own holdings (if they have two pair or a set etc.). Some can also raise top pair there like that, hands like KQ that beat you.

Since the price is good, your hand is ok and you even have the straight blocker, you can go on and peel - especially if you think he is rather passive and will shut his bluffs down. A good player could likely 3barrel that board and put you in a very tough spot to call with most of your range. But if he's rather passive and will give you an easy time, calling can be an option to bluffcatch.

Once he checks turn and bets big on a weird river I think you can find a call indeed - especially considering the :diamond: s missed.