BB ($7.61)
      UTG ($9.40)
      UTG+1 ($10.66)
      UTG+2 ($12.21)
      MP1 ($9.40)
      Hero ($10.59)
      BTN ($27.77)

Dealt to Hero A:spade: 5:spade:

fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.30, fold, fold, BB raises to $0.60, Hero calls $0.30

FLOP ($1.25) Q:diamond: Q:spade: J:spade:

BB checks, Hero checks

TURN ($1.25) Q:diamond: Q:spade: J:spade: 8:diamond:

BB bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30

RIVER ($1.85) Q:diamond: Q:spade: J:spade: 8:diamond: A:heart:

BB bets $1.85, Hero calls $1.85

i called river only because i had feeling it may be bluff, so i based that call only on my intuition. Are there any logical arguments to do so? i dont beat many hands here and board really hit his range
  • 10 replies
    • BogdanDr
      BogdanDr
      Bronze
      Actually you don't beat anything here, and I don't think he will be bluffing in this spot to often.
      The A probably hit him and you are likely beat. There is a big possibility that he has AK there and in the best case scenario you will split the pot.

Why did you bet so small on the turn?
    • AxsisHalon
      AxsisHalon
      Bronze
      I didnt bet turn, I called. I called river coz he didnt show strenght on previous streets and it looked like pure bluff to me
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello AxsisHalon,

Rather Bet the flop already and will get the point what he is doing. Usually such a Check could easily mean a trap. ;) So I wouldn't Call the river as played. :P

Best Regards.
    • AxsisHalon
      AxsisHalon
      Bronze
      i agree that he could plan c/r on the flop and it didnt work as i chose to passivly play my draw, but why he didnt bet larger on the turn? 1/4 of the pot? for me its just pot sweetener. he doesnt protect his hand from draws, he doesnt get value if he has nuts (QJ JJ even 910) and on the river, what could he expect i call? missed flush?
      I luckly got 2 pairs AAQQ with J kicker, so with all A2-AJ i tie, I dont put him on any nuts as it would be sadly played and he would miss a lot of value by playing like he did, and even if he has nuts and i lose this hand i actually gain coz of that value he didnt get.
      Is there any logic in my thinking? or i still dont understand what I'm doing :) ?
      btw i got blamed for slow/stupid playing quad of 8s OOP, so in this case if he had nuts that would be stupid play from him, isnt it?
      I didnt think he is stupid, and i called
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      but why he didnt bet larger on the turn? 1/4 of the pot?

He maybe was inviting you to come along? :) Could have already FH?

Well, if you did get blamed to slowplay quads OOP then it doesn't mean that he wont do that. :D Don't over-level yourself in those spots and not a spot where to hero-call.
    • AxsisHalon
      AxsisHalon
      Bronze
      I dont buy that story about FH on the flop, even if thats the case, it's sad play. I dontt buy story about trips there, what is that: BB call, hit his Q and on drawy board doesnt protect it, doesnt want money in the pot?
      maybe im result oriented but he has shown: KdJd
    • cozacu
      cozacu
      Bronze
      You see in my opinion what you did was an absolute hero call witch i don't think it's going to be profitable in the long run... it's true he doesn't make much sens with his play... will he play a Qx like this?most likely not but it's not totally out of the question,we have no stats on this guy so you had more info then what we have,even so i`ve seen players play Qx like this (because they have no notion about words like protection or value) but more importantly he could have the nuts here... doesn't bet flop giving you the chance to take a stab... bets very small on turn to induce a bluff..when river comes he has to get some value and because of missed value on previous streets he`ll go pot size on river.

Instead of getting into spots where you have to make hero calls i would prefer to raise the turn like 3x at least... this way you`ll get better hands to fold like small pairs that right now beats you... and you`ll get most likely a check on river if he calls the turn.

Again by calling you`re getting your self into trouble what if Ad hits...?you lose... what if you get your flush and he does have the nuts(you don't know)you lose...what if a brick comes?are you calling pot size with A high? ;)

I hope that was of help.It's just a point of view
    • AxsisHalon
      AxsisHalon
      Bronze
      I like ur argumentation, it got the point now. thx :)
      one thing, I call river with 2 pairs not A high, now i see i could lose more then win
    • cozacu
      cozacu
      Bronze
      when i said about A high in the end i was talking about the scenario where a blank comes on river instead of the A.

You are welcome :)
    • AxsisHalon
      AxsisHalon
      Bronze
      u kidding? i would never call so large bet on the river with A high, im not pr0 to do hero calls like that. I called turn coz I aimed flush and he gave me odds. If there would be A diamond, I wouldnt call pot bet (coz it would be pretty obvious backdoor flush), but I maybe call less the 1/2 pot bet, maybe coz I usually dont call river with just pair, where there is flush and FH on the board.