Playing NL4 and NL10 at same time? sugestions.

• flexurmind
      flexurmind
      Bronze
      Hello. I have been playing NL4 (BSS) for some time ( around 40K hands) and did manage to develop a good and solid bank rool ( from 80€ to 200€ more 40€ from rakeback) and i would like to retry playing NL10 ( which) i had already tried but it didnt went very well cuz i coundn´t hang the varience and entered on Tilt very easily. Now i think i'm ready psychologicly.

My question is:

A) should i only play NL10 and ignore NL4

B) Should i still continue playing NL4 and do separe sessions ( one day NL4, another NL10)

C) or Should i play NL4 and NL10 at the same time ( 2 tables for each)

Sugestions please

thanks
  • 8 replies
    • Angstzweet
      Angstzweet
      Bronze
      Imo just play 10NL when u have the bankroll for it and move down when u lose several buyins and have a bad feeling abuot it.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      D) Play NL4 until you have the correct Bankroll for NL10.

Or convert your € into $ and you already have a NL10 Bankroll, providing the Poker Room you're playing only allows $ Play?

I wouldn't advise playing N4 & NL10 at the same time, just doesnt make much sense :D
    • MJPerry
      MJPerry
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MattDenness
      I wouldn't advise playing N4 & NL10 at the same time, just doesnt make much sense :D
      I would actually disagree here, I think that mixing up your stakes makes the process of moving up faster.

Say OP usually 6-tables NL4. With a bankroll of around $150, providing he is willing to take a hit and move down, it isn't too detrimental in my eyes to take a 2x buy-in shot at NL10, with 1 NL10 and 5 NL4 tables open.

If the shot goes well you can increase the number of higher v. lower stakes tables.

Of course, the best advice is simply to grind until you have enough to take a real shot at NL10 ($200+) but when you do want to move up, I find mixing the tables makes life easier financially and psychologically.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MJPerry
      I would actually disagree here, I think that mixing up your stakes makes the process of moving up faster.

Say OP usually 6-tables NL4. With a bankroll of around $150, providing he is willing to take a hit and move down, it isn't too detrimental in my eyes to take a 2x buy-in shot at NL10, with 1 NL10 and 5 NL4 tables open.

If the shot goes well you can increase the number of higher v. lower stakes tables.

Of course, the best advice is simply to grind until you have enough to take a real shot at NL10 ($200+) but when you do want to move up, I find mixing the tables makes life easier financially and psychologically.
      I agree with this.

When i'm moving up in stakes during shot taking I just table select the higher limit to play on the best possible tables then play the rest on my usual limit. As your BR and confidence grows you can add more tables of the higher limit and take away the lower limit ones. Good way to transition imo.
    • flexurmind
      flexurmind
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MJPerry

Right now i'm playing only 4 tables at the same time so i can focus on the readings and not play a automatic poker, thus, you think i could add 1 table of NL10 and 3 tables of NL4 and as i get grinding on NL10 and feel more confident of the game i will add more tables and remove nl4 tables?
      i think it's a good way to improve without being hit too much with variance on NL10.

Thanks for the suggestions ;)
    • flexurmind
      flexurmind
      Bronze
      When i'm moving up in stakes during shot taking I just table select the higher limit to play on the best possible tables then play the rest on my usual limit. As your BR and confidence grows you can add more tables of the higher limit and take away the lower limit ones. Good way to transition imo.
      i dont quite understood. You'r saying that you devide the stakes, i.e, you play first on the higher limit then you finish playing on the lower one? but how many tables at the time each limit??
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Basically if I want to play 6 tables, I first check the higher limits and if there are really juicy tables I make them my priority, so let's say there's 2 really nice tables on the higher limit. I will get them opened up then open up the other 4 tables on the lower limits.
    • verneer
      verneer
      Bronze
      In 2011, I played all my hands at one limit before moving up to the next level. In the past however, I have kept my options open and have played a range of limits. I would base my decision on what kind of games were running, where I perceived the fish to be playing, and how I was feeling.

There are plenty of heads up players who sit at tables ranging from 200NL to 2000NL across different sites, waiting to see what kind of action they get. Sometimes they will be playing on a 200NL table on PokerStars and a 1000NL table on Party Poker.

This works both for full ring and for six-max. If your range of limits is 50NL through 200NL and there are few 200NL games running, you could sit at one 200NL table, two 100NL tables, and three 50NL tables.

If you play on sites which don’t run many games, this is particularly applicable. If you play on PokerStars, the liquidity of games is seldom an issue. On the other hand, if you are playing on the Merge network, liquidity can definitely become an issue. Further, different times of the day offer a higher percentage of weaker players and thus an incentive to play higher. That is assuming your bankroll allows for it of course.

An added benefit of playing a variety of limits is that you shed any “I’m a ___NL player” labels. This is a positive since labels have the potential to consciously or to subconsciously limit your full potential. For example, if you have a range of limits from 25NL to 100NL and you lose a few buy-ins at 100NL, you won’t suffer the sting of feeling like you “took a shot” and failed. You simply didn’t have a good session at the upper-end of what you are able to play.