[NL2-NL10] Two similar situations that confused me. (Overcards hit the flop)

• MaxerMax
      MaxerMax
      Bronze
      0.05/0.15 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q:club: , Q:heart: . MP2 posts a blind of $0.15.
      2 folds, MP1 calls $0.10, MP2 checks, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.60, BB folds, MP1 calls $0.50, MP2 folds.

Flop: ($1.45) 5:diamond: , A:heart: , K:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 checks.

I wasn't sure what to do here, with 2 overcards I figured I'd surrender the hand, but he didn't take it... so I decided to feeler out on the turn... but I was absolutely confused as of what to do with this hand. I'd really appreciate some help with this.

Turn: ($1.45) A:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, MP1 folds.

The second acemade me believe I actually DID have the best hand, so I put a feeler out to stop him from buying the pot from me, if he raised I was ready to muck the hand... again feedback is appreciated.

Final Pot: $2.15

and number 2:

0.05/0.10 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with T:heart: , T:diamond:
      2 folds, MP2 calls $0.10, MP3 calls $0.10, CO folds, Hero raises to $0.60, 3 folds, MP3 calls $0.50.

Flop: ($1.45) A:spade: , 5:club: , 7:heart: (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $0.75, MP3 calls $0.75.

Tried a contibet since he checked. But I wasn't sure how much to bet, I figured half pot because I wanted to leave enough chips to fold to a raise. Correct betsize or incorrect... or maybe even my reasoning was incorrect.

Turn: ($2.95) 8:spade: (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.55, Hero raises to $0.55 (All-In).

River: ($4.05) Q:diamond:

He hit a Q from his QJ here. Ouch.

Final Pot: $4.05
  • 3 replies
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      I guess I would have decides on both hands, if I either push or give up the hand, since I´m pot committed any way.
    • MaxerMax
      MaxerMax
      Bronze
      looking back on the hands I think actually on the first hand I did the right thing checking the flop and the small bet on the turn might scare a conservative player holding a king more than an all in bet would, but I think an all in would have been acceptable.

On the second hand I think I should have pushed on the flop. There's more fold equity to draws and hands like KQ, KJ, KT, QJ, QT, etc. Plus it may seem like a bluff to someone who falls in love with their pocket pair or pair of 5s or 7s.

Live and learn.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      easy push flop for me (both)