bankroll for $22 sng's

• 23 replies
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      i don't think it matters how many tables do you play i think the standard rule its 100 buy-ins $2200 , $800 is way to low for the $22
      variance its big in SNG's
    • thatscrazy
      thatscrazy
      Bronze
      it says in the strategy articles that they recommend 30-50 buyins?
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      yah for lower limits on, 2plus2 they recommend 100 buy-ins
    • thatscrazy
      thatscrazy
      Bronze
      ok thanks for the advice.
    • roshe40
      roshe40
      Bronze
      I don't know why people think there is MORE variance playing SNGs. It is in fact totally the opposite. You don't need anywhere near 100 buyins. I find 60 to be plenty, and some sources say 20 - 26 is adequate for SNGs. I have played over 200 SNGs so far on FTP, mostly at the $22 level, and I have yet to have a swing over more than 5 buyins in a session.

It is just important to find a level that you are comfortable with. Some find 40-50 enough, while I still prefer a little more, but not that much more. I would move up before I reached 100 buyins at any level. You are limiting the potential growth of your bankroll by that point.
    • sw0ldo
      sw0ldo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by roshe40
      I don't know why people think there is MORE variance playing SNGs. It is in fact totally the opposite. You don't need anywhere near 100 buyins. I find 60 to be plenty, and some sources say 20 - 26 is adequate for SNGs. I have played over 200 SNGs so far on FTP, mostly at the $22 level, and I have yet to have a swing over more than 5 buyins in a session.

It is just important to find a level that you are comfortable with. Some find 40-50 enough, while I still prefer a little more, but not that much more. I would move up before I reached 100 buyins at any level. You are limiting the potential growth of your bankroll by that point.
      This is completely untrue, sngs have the most variance besides MTT's. If you haven't had a downswing over 5 buyins then you havent had a real downswing. I played $16 sngs for ~3 months and had a 60BI downswing and I've had friends who have had ~80-100 BI downswing.
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      ZOMG 200 s&g's?? What a big sample size you got there! I played over 5000, and 80 BI downswings are easily possible. 35BI downswings are just normal, everyday business. I played 20 S&G's yesterday, and my ROI over those was over 300. So, S&g's aren't swingy??

For 22$ I'd recommend 100BI, but at least have 75 (1700$ or so), so you can deal with some serious swings.
    • kajzr
      kajzr
      Bronze
      Is it ok to move on 5+0.5 usd tourneys with only 150 usd bankroll? I want to move out from 2+0.4 because of rake, it makes big difference with 10% rake...
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kajzr
      Is it ok to move on 5+0.5 usd tourneys with only 150 usd bankroll? I want to move out from 2+0.4 because of rake, it makes big difference with 10% rake...
      What you can do is take a few shots; set yourself a stop-loss of say, 5 BI, so if you lose 27.5$, you move back down. You really have to be ready to move down as soon as you lose though!
    • finchybg
      finchybg
      Bronze
      Nobody mentioned that the amount of buy-ins depends on their type - whether they are turbos or slower structure..

The turbos with their 3 min blinds of course require maybe close to 100 buy-ins in my opinion, but the regular ones - 50-60 is just fine, at least at 22 and below levels..
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      i think they play speed with the 5 min blinds
    • roshe40
      roshe40
      Bronze
      If you have more than a 20 BI downswing, then you are not skilled enough for that stake and should drop down. There is no reason to have a downswing that large if you are capable of beating a given stake in the long run. No offense intended, just my opinion. Good bankroll management in itself should avoid major downswings like that.
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      If you have more than a 20 BI downswing, then you are not skilled enough for that stake and should drop down. There is no reason to have a downswing that large if you are capable of beating a given stake in the long run. No offense intended, just my opinion. Good bankroll management in itself should avoid major downswings like that.
      that's complete nonsense
    • gemgem69
      gemgem69
      Bronze
      Ino I havn't been here long but I have played over 1000 sngs. And I don't feel fit to make a comment but I can see big swings in sngs remember alot of the time you are getting your money in on 60-40, 50-50, 70-30 shots. If you don't hit all of them due to a string of bad luck even the best cant avoid that
    • finchybg
      finchybg
      Bronze
      It's true that most of the time you end up 70-30, 50-50 or 60-40.
      But to lose 80 times in a row - in theory it is possible but what are the odds about it?
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      SNG sample hands week #6
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      nominated for most full of **** post of the year
    • gemgem69
      gemgem69
      Bronze
      Originally posted by swissmoumout
      nominated for most full of **** post of the year
      agreed
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Especially when you're talking about sit and go's I'll quote it for being funny.

Every sng player that plays quite a lot sit and go's will get those 20 BI downswing a lot. I'd like you to show me your graph where you have never got a 20 BI downswing in a sample size of 2k+ sngs.

And -20 BI doesn't mean you lose 20 in a row... Just that you lose 20 buyins over a relative small amount of games.