~Poker QT's Blog~

• p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      Okie, I thought I'd start writing a blog of my (up and coming) poker career.

I first started playing last August when a friend introduced me to the game, I was pretty clueless on the game n would ask what seem like stupid questions now - "What's better, a low flush or high pair" :tongue: And had to keep looking at the hand rankings 'till it stuck in my head.

When I started playing I didn't really have good bank roll management, If I lost my money I'd just put more on when I got paid. I'm not a big gambler though! I mostly played $1 sng's and the occasional $2-$5 tournament.

In November last year I joined another poker site and started doing better, I was ITM about 40% of the time and doubled my bankroll by January (slowly but surely?) after that I made a withdrawal and still had more money on than when I started.

I think I am starting to understand the game a lot better and this site has definitely improved my game!!

I haven't followed the BRM entirely, as I hate $1 sng's, so I've played $2 ones - But haven't been below -$2.5 in profit playing sng's.

After coming 5th in an MTT a couple of days ago I boosted my BR to $120 and it is nearly $150 now so I'm hoping to move up to $5 stake sng's soon!!

I will keep updated with my progress!! (Hopefully which is good)
  • 89 replies
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      :spade: after a bad day yesterday, not making ITM in 1 sng or tournament (out of about 7), I am definitely gonna stick to the 2.20 sng's until I build my bankroll/confidence back up. :diamond:

:club: I think the best thing for me to do is reread the sng articles and follow it more strictly, and not let myself TiLT!!~! :heart:
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      Originally posted by p0kerQT
      :spade: after a bad day yesterday, not making ITM in 1 sng or tournament (out of about 7), I am definitely gonna stick to the 2.20 sng's until I build my bankroll/confidence back up. :diamond:

:club: I think the best thing for me to do is reread the sng articles and follow it more strictly, and not let myself TiLT!!~! :heart:
      Nice plans... keep us informed and good luck!
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      im out of tilt now :D i made itm last 3 sng's i played (1st, 3rd and 2nd), and also I hit a straight flush playing PLO10 :O i felt a bit bad for the guy coz he flopped the ace high flush, n I rivered the straight flush, but thats where most the money went in.

:club: 7 :club: 8 :club: 9 :club: 10 :club: J

I think i love people who bluff a lot (in sng's) coz when I hit a big hand I can double up off them easily as they bluff away their chips (which they made by bluffing)... I do it a bit myself, but they bet nearly every pot theyre in and win some small pots coz everyones too scared to call them buttt with patience eventually you can take their stack down (unless they get really lucky -_- )
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      im doing pretty well playing the 90 man KO sng's, they're quite fun to play and well within my bankroll. I've increased my BR to $190 now, I think I could afford to play the $5 sng's more regularly but I can't seem to win at those, so I'll stick to the 3.30 90 mans.

So far I have came 2nd, 5th and 4th in them, lost a few (2 which I had to leave my pc :( ) But overall doing well!!!

I should be silver by tomorrow :D so I can read some new articles.

My aims for the future; Continue building my BR at a stake level I can afford, Then move up to the next level,
      Hopefully make $2k+ profit in the next few months so I can pay off my debts lol
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      ouchh... had 18k chips playin a 90 man n shorstack pushed (about 4k chips) so i pushed to try isolate it with JJ and the only person that could knock me out at the table called with KK :(
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by p0kerQT
      ouchh... had 18k chips playin a 90 man n shorstack pushed (about 4k chips) so i pushed to try isolate it with JJ and the only person that could knock me out at the table called with KK :(
      Yupp I've had that all too often - but happens.

Otherwise good luck on continuing to increase your BR (and on improving your game ofc!)

Best regards and keep us posted!
      SoyCD
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      thanks soy, i was 6 off itm too but £$!% happens eh. had a few days break from poker so i hope i havent forgotten how to play :P , 1 point off silver too! :)
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      I think I have become a weak player :( , when I come to think of it, It happened when I started playing omaha PL cash games. Being a holdem player I usually raise good hands like AA AK.... etc which I still do, but after being sucked out on so many times, my post flop play has become weak and I've started calling more than I bet,
      Example hand I got KJ :diamond: on my BB and utg raises 2xBB (60 chips)

The flop comes J 6 8 (rainbow) they bet 100 chips n I called, 2 other preflop callers fold, then comes a 5 and they bet about 200 chips, which I called, then a 7 comes up on the river, I check again, they bet around 300 chips (a 3rd of the pot) n im thinkin they probably have a 9 ( I put them on TT in the first place, which I should have raised ) but I called n they turned over 44 - 8 High straight. So I'm thinking WTF?! how did I let them catch that?!?!

Past 2 days im down $30. Also I got QQ on the bubble in a $5 18 man, a pretty loose player raised, so i pushed all in, they called with AQ n hit an ace :( I probably win 1/10 times with QQ
    • RMB
      RMB
      Bronze
      well i was in the same position as yours a couple of hours ago, until I won 3 SnG and 1 tournament in a row today . :)

The cure is quite simple, read the SHC, don't play as many hands even though you want to, to stay alive in a tournament you have to fold some strong hands..

Think of it this way, if you have a hand , Question yourself if you are ready to go all in with that certain hand. Calling with top pair isn't always good.

The cards will come, just wait and be patient, i've folded pocket queens and pocket kings in tournaments, and I'm glad I did so.
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      I kinda came back from my bad few days, my BR went down to $160ish but managed to win a $5 18 man and come 3rd in another.

I was lookin to final table a 90 man KO, had the chip lead with about 30 left then I started bluffing my chips away :( (bad idea as I'd played it pretty solid until then) so I came 18th.

At least I'm not tilting anymore :D I was reading an article in the forum about how to control tilt, n it helped me. Just look at the ROI of the people that suck out on you, n its mostly in the negative I've noticed. *giggles*

I'm not too keen on the 90 man's anymore though, I did well in them at first but can't seem to make ITM now. Gonna continue playing $5 sng's (9/18) n see how well I do in those.
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      great day on poker today :D only played a couple but won an 18 man.. the poker godss were lovin me today, had AA 3 times n won all 3, KK which I won, n hit a straight flush with KT hearts, also QQ (i won with QQ wtf?!? they had 66 though), n JJ hu when we were pretty even.. they pushed with T8o *giggles*

Also came 2nd in a 9 man, was down to 330 chips at one point TPtk beat by a rivered flush, But I managed to come back n they lost before ITM :D

BR's at $270+ now :D Hopefully my good luck *and skills* will continue lol
    • anstaendig
      anstaendig
      Bronze
      nice progress, keep reading articles to improve your game
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      I am doing very well at the moment, especially playing $5 sng's, they are much more worth spending my time on than the $2 ones, and I find they're easier than the $2 ones too. My bluffs get through a lot more easily (I think people are more scared to lose $5 than $2) but mostly just playing solid poker as I don't like to bluff a lot cos I'll get called eventually lol.

Current roi from sng's is 49% :D + MTT + cash table wins putting me at $290BR now. I also took a copy of my sng graph and you can see the difference in how well I am doing at $5 stakes as oppose to $2 ones. Started playing 3.30 90 man KO's around 70 games, n $5 sng's at around 100 games.

ok i dunno how to put the graph on here off sharkscope -_-

• p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      weirrd... I never even thought about this before, but noticed a reply to a post in the sng forum by purplefizz "...6. keeping track of my stats (much easier to win on mondays i noticed. )..."

Looking at my day by day stats Tuesday is a bad day to play for me, and wednesday even worse... On tuesday's I've made profit from 1 game out of 22, and wednesday's made no profit at all out of 17 games... Maybe I shouldn't play on these days? The rest of the days I seem to do well, could this just be a coincidence *confused*

My best day in terms of roi seems to be sundays, having played 10 games with 95% roi, my most profitable day is fridays with 70% roi over 25 games, and monday isn't a bad day for me either. I dunno how much difference the day of week can make?! but there seems to be a pattern there.

Oh snap -_- tuesday IS a bad day for me, firstly had to leave an sng coz of my mum moaning (hate stayin at my parent) then I become shorstack in an 18 man, 2 pair on my BB beaten by rivered higher 2 pair, then I get called on a total bluff by Ace 4 high... dunno whether I should try tackle the problem, n put it down to coincidence, or just not play on tuesdays (and wednesdays)
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      rofl maybe i always lose on tuesdays coz imd runk :D rolflllfofllfll decided to play $1 /2 sng's n lost every 1 i played first hadnd i played so funny.... not a goodi idead tho rofl ... was fun tjho lol made 0/7 itm today... im so pro:df
      fkn callin macheens -__- :) )

yeh anyway...nt a good idea to play drunk
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      meh... playing a 90 man $5 tourny i came 23rd.... I was't even shortstack either but tried to resteal with AK... they had KK -_- and I hardly ever suck out on people so yeh.. I lost. Bad move 5 before ITM.

Really bad day I'm down to $200 :( I staked a friend $50 just waiting for it back.... I should be ready to play $10 sng's by now but guess I'm havin a downswing, n it got into my head that tuesday's n wed's are bad days for me. Anyways I'm gonna shutup.. I type too much lol.
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      just worked it out n I lent my "friend" $90 altogether, don't think I'm gonna see that again. Lesson learnt: Don't send people money.

I'm over that now though, if anything its made me more detirmined to do well in poker and win more $$. The way I see it if pokerstrategy didn't give me the $50 and all their great advice I wouldn't got to $300+ in the first place.

Along with the decrease in my BR I had a downswing for a couple of days n went down to 190$ but made ITM last 5/6 sng's I played.... in 9 mans 1st 2nd and 3rd, and 1st n 2nd in 18 mans, so im +$70 past 2 days :D

I wanna do well in MTT's n I play maybe 1 or 2 a day but I dunno if I have the patience.... When I'm card dead for so long n its so far off itm I start playin stupid... like with 4 cards to a flush I'll check call then push on the turn and lose... Theres so many bad players too, I think that might have an influence on the way I play.
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      decided a change today from my usual sng games, played a couple of cash tables SSS @ NL25, 1st table made $1.50 profit lol, 2nd -$5 AA cracked by 77.

Then played a KO trny which I lost... knocked 1 person out tho.. they only had 15 chips lol so made 50 cents :D ... Tried a 45man sng and lost with trip Q's to a straight.

Just now played a $1 tourny, It was a bit of a rollercoaster lol, I almost doubled up pretty early, then lost 2 pots vs shortstacks where my sets were beaten by a straight and flush.
      I sat tight for a while then playing only KQ oop once, then when the blinds increased I was down to 11 BB's, on the BU with AQ, a smaller stack than mine raised so I pushed all in and hit 2 aces :D

I moved tables then and got KK first hand on my BB, with about 5 callers, I raised it up and everyone folded to me. The next hand I got QQ... sum1 raised from early position so I pushed all in, they had AQ n I won the pot, then I got 44 which I folded, n the next hand AA which was folded round when I raised.

I was loving the dealer then, I got AA again a bit later, sum1 reraised me, and a shortstack called all in, so I pushed, they had AK shorstack had 88 with an 8 on the flop but I still won a big pot.

I managed to get up to 16000 chips then I picked up AK which I raised, JT called, I bet the pot on the flop n they called, I stupidly checked the turn, n they hit their J on the river :( So I was down to 5000 chips @ 600 chip blinds n I pushed with AT got called by QQ and lost.

It was still fun to play though and good experience, even if I didn't win.
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      Nothing much to update really, broke even past couple of days. -$ playing sng/mtt's, n +$ in omaha.

I think my sng game has gone downhill a bit, either that or a bad run of cards +bad play by me... calling a reraise with TT when I had a feeling they had AA, but then thought they might be trying to steal with Ax, coz I had been raising preflop a lot.

Also bluffing into a pot BB vs SB, they had minbet so I raised, which didn't work coz they held the hand I was trying to represent lol.

Lack of sleep doesn't help either.

Current BR's at $275.

Targets for poker this week; reread sng articles and make notes of where I think my leaks are, print off SHC's.

Get upto $330 and try an $11 sng and see how that goes. I didn't even like playing the $5 ones at first when I had the BR for it, so I'll change over after a bit, as long as I'm progressing.

Read the NL cash game strategy articles more thoroughly and see if I can do well playing cash games.