[NL2-NL10] BTN ATs

• ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      I would have taken a Free card but I choose to raise with my 2nd Pair/Flushdraw. Should I have bet here, or just taken the free card?

UTG: $8.24 (82.4 bb)
      MP: $10.92 (109.2 bb)
      CO: $13.13 (131.3 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $26 (260 bb)
      SB: $10 (100 bb)
      BB: $11.24 (112.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with T A
      UTG raises to $0.20, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.20, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.55) 7 Q 3 (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $0.40, UTG calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.35) T (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $0.80, UTG calls $0.80

River: ($2.95) 7 (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero checks

Results: $2.95 pot ($0.13 rake)
      Final Board: 7 Q 3 T 7
      UTG showed Q T and won $2.82 ($1.42 net)
      Hero mucked T A and lost (-$1.40 net)
  • 4 replies
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, MattDenness!

You didn't tell us a thing about your opponent here and I think this spot is quite dependant on it.

If it's likely we'll get check/raised often, even/especially by lower flush draws; b) our opponent will fold all trash hands and low flush draws; then checking behind is much better.

If our opponent is a bit of a station that will likely call with a huge range, maybe even 7x and lower pockets, and especially many weaker flush draws, then we must bet to get value out of those.

I'd even think twice about betsizing depending on our opponent. That size you chose doesn't make much sense as the board got even more connected so it could induce some ch/r semi-bluffs from better villains. Against a weak/passive player the smaller bet is good since we might be going for thinner value and will seldom be bluff raised.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      I had only 30 hands on Villian, as it was the start of a fresh table. He was 37/16 over this tiny sample.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MattDenness
      I had only 30 hands on Villian, as it was the start of a fresh table. He was 37/16 over this tiny sample.
      Then I do prefer the bet turn :D

In many cases we still have some 14 outs to beat KQ/KJ, not to mention he could call twice with dominated draws.

And then (and for that reason) I like the bet size.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello MattDenness,

Check the turn behind, there is not much value, from what you protecting the turn? It's more likely that if you Check the turn you will get called on the river rather than 3streets or whatsoever your plan was. :)

He has to be a huge station to Call with a lot worse hands on turn. :P

Best Regards.