Note taking: including the date when the note was taken

• 7 replies
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey,

Yeh this is definitely a good idea and I advocate everybody does it. I also label the gametype too as somebody in 2009 in an MTT may have been super crazy but in 2012 on a full ring cash table it doesn't mean anything.

Example:

$11 MTT

Very aggro, c/r flp, c/r turn with double gutshot, 4x pot shoved river when missed

NL200 20/1/12

Passive, went for a c/c three streets line as the pre flop aggresor with KQ on Q5299
      Bronze
      But is it something that has real, applicable use in the low-mid stakes? How do you utilize this information?
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Avatars91,

I do as pleno1, which helps me sort out the notes I have after say 6 months of playing the same regs. Regs will change, adapt, reinvent or just generally evolve their game over time as we do, so I ditch the notes over 6 months old as fairly irrelevant for a lot of them.

That's just my personal view on notes.

Regards,

Mal.
      Bronze
      Is it necessary for someone who is climbing up the limits and not grinding on a particular limit for profit? Most of the regs I will probably not see in future if I plan to climb up.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Avatars91,

Well we could miss out on the note taking practice that we will certainly need at higher limits, because our reads and notes by that time will certainly require us to be much more detailed in our observations.

I don't know how good you are at reading villains/regs/recreational players etc., but I do know I used to writethings at micros like; ' fish, pushed all in preflop to a raise.' Not much use really is it, even at micro limits?

So all I'm advocating is that you practice note taking where you have enough edge on the villains to be able to keep them comcise and to the point, then go into more detail as you need to later.

You will find that notes and reads work in co-operation with stats and reads and notes are easier to use and more personal.

Sorry it's a bit of a wall, but I think htis is an important topic. I just wish I was more expert at describing it.

Best regards,

Mal.
      Bronze
      No no, what you are saying is great advice and it's hardly offtopic. I am above the "fish, pushes against raise preflop" level but, obviously, not at the top. My notes basically focus on strange lines by villains as well as their ranges in different situations.

So if I got it correctly, a good reason for taking the date down when climbing up the limits is for note-taking practice?
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      Its good to gauge your current dynamic too. I want to know that Mr X 3bet me 5 times one session last wednesday and I 3bet Mr Y 3 times last monday etc