Stucked with SSS

• das
      das
      Bronze
      I've lost the $50 + RB from FTP.
      Now i deposited $50 into FTP.
      However, after playing for the past 4-5 days, my BR is not moving up nor down. There is only a very little changes in winning and losses each day.
      I was playing 3-4 tables but thinking of changing to 8 tables now. I am playing strictly to the SSS SHC just that i'm not selecting tables strictly.

Is this normal?
      Will there be any difference if i increase my tables to 8?
  • 19 replies
    • punta
      punta
      Bronze
      I have nearly packed it in at FT -$35 so far - I just cant beat the boys playing SSS.
      Moved to another cardroom and have improved my bankroll by 50% so far.
      I will be back at FT, when I think I can beat the tight buggers :)

GL

Paul
    • daeh01005
      daeh01005
      Silver
      I've been playing at FTP. But I've lost with BSS before I didn't know PS & SSS.

But I've won with SSS since I've been useing it. I play with 16 table.
      The more table you play, the more you can get premium. It's good.
      Also rakeback will help to build ur bankroll very much.

But be carefull. The rake of FTP NL10 is twice than above NL25. So playing above NL25 is much better.

And you would get used to play with lots of table soon.

Good Luck :D
    • matkov
      matkov
      Bronze
      after how many hands of sss, is one expected to make profit? I've been grinding 5 tables last month, and made some 20 bucks profit (huge upswing ->well I thought it was skill and sss working at that time haha), then I went breakeven for I dunno 7k hands (patience slowly abandoned me). So I tried grinding some more :) I opened 8 tables, and due to some mistatakes (it was happening so fast) and bad luck (cracked aces,kings, jacks, you name it...everything was cracked) made down to zero. Thankfully rakeback saved me, and I had enough to start grinding 8 tables again. Now I'm playing without problem, it's not too fast for me anymore , but I'm not making any profit, and I'm about breakeven again, well slightly in the red numbers :tongue: (JJ vs KK, QQ vs AA, QQ vs A3o :evil: ). So, my patience is slowly but surely killing me, as after about 27k hands I went broke once (rakeback saves lol), and didn't make such great profit that it would be worthy to stay grinding sss. 20bucks after 27k hands is hardly anything :rolleyes: Well let's leave about 7 k hands out. It was a learning process, and I admit I didn't follow sss stricly then (that is what led to going broke) I was really an awful player then :D .

But let's say after 20k hand of solid play, following sss strategy strictly, selecting tables carefully, making notes on opponents, posting hands on pokerstrategy,it's right for me to say, sss doesn't work for me (well at full tilt at least ->heard it's one of the toughest pokerroom for sss?).

So I'm thinking, to start playing bss (yeah I know BRM -> but sss is leading me nowhere). So before I start throwing my money away ( :tongue: ), has anyone else experienced SSS not working after about 20k hands. And how many hands should I play, to give SSS one last chance? It's a great strategy in theory, but putting it in action on full tilt it just doesn't work. I'm not finding a lot of donks that would blindfully call my 4XBB raises (well i know there are a lot of donks playing at 4.a m (gmt+1), but I can't play then cuz I have school in the morning. Thanks pokerstrategy
    • das
      das
      Bronze
      ^
      that is exactly the problem im having right now.
      I'm thinking of switching to BSS too or maybe try SSS on NL25.
      playing SSS on Fulltilt is really tough.
    • SunWukung
      SunWukung
      Bronze
      I'm glad I'm not alone with similar problem. I'm playing 4 tables for about a month now at Full Tilt and I just improved my BR by 10$. I had a nice upswing at the beginning but usually I finish my sessions in red. Of course I'm making some mistakes but the most of my losses is when my premium hand is called by better hand or when slightly worse hand of my opponent improves on river :-D
    • theloniousbones
      theloniousbones
      Bronze
      Don't fret too much guys. I've been through the ringer and back on Full Tilt over the past 4 months. There was a stretch of time when every move I made was wrong. Runner-runner beats, one-outers, and donkey's calling PF raises with 86o and hitting 2 pair.... every moderate hand I'd fold would hit huge just to add insult to injury... it was awful.

But I'm showing a profit now, slowly but steadily (minus a great run at NL10 SH BSS where I won $150 in 5 days, only to drop $100 when every river gave villain a set or full house or some other bad beat). I've learned that it takes a lot more skill to play SSS on Full Tilt than one would think.

What I've seen is basically break even poker on average (playing SSS NL25), hitting cards, then dropping down with bad beats, but then all of a sudden once every few days I'll hit a magic table. Just the other day I went from $5 to $42 in 20mins! Bad BRM I know, but I just hit every hand I saw in 2 rounds, and each time I had a villain more than willing to stack off when drawing dead. That's $37 profit in 3 hands that I played.

I don't suggest it's like that for everyone, but the key is to stick to the strategy and focus on the long term picture. You will lose money. You will suffer bad beats. You will scream. But there will be situations where you hit and find that value, and that is how you build your bankroll...

Good luck all!
    • carbonpom
      carbonpom
      Bronze
      I tried SSS on Titan Poker.

I got my $50 from here, and $50 from another site (which is in Absolute Poker). I decided to follow SSS on Titan (as advised on this site), but my normal strategy on Absolute (which generally involves buying in at 40x BB, and being slightly looser than SSS).

The result was that SSS lost half my bankroll on Titan. Every good hand I had was beaten, even when I flopped trips and was called by someone chasing or with high pair, I'd be beaten by the river every time. During this time, I was steadily increasing my bankroll on Absolute (have doubled it there, though it has stagnated around that point for a while now!).

So I stopped playing SSS on Titan, and went back to playing the way I usually do (which has come about from around 400000 hands on Carbon Poker - I haven't had to deposit on Carbon Poker for well over a year). I have made up 33% of my losses already (in three sessions).

The only thing I can't decide is whether SSS doesn't work, or it just doesn't work for me!!
    • armo
      armo
      Bronze
      From what I've seen is that SSS players sometimes play too recklessly. For example if SSS player raised blinds and got reraised then most of the time he will push with the hands that they should not push - AJ, KQ, AQ, 99, 88. Another thing is that SSS players will almost always c-bet into two or more active players even if he completely missed the flop and then will be commited to call villains check-raise Anyway thats what I've seen a lot on NL10, NL20 on titan.

edit: when I wrote "SSS player" I meant tight 20BB shortstacks that play SSS-like game.
    • punta
      punta
      Bronze
      I play SSS on FTP as well - my bank is up and down like a bloody yo yo. I have 4/5 days making small profits, then bang lose the lot in one session.

Just break even for me after 5000 hands :( playing 4 tables at a time. X(
    • c4ught
      c4ught
      Bronze
      Originally posted by carbonpom
      I tried SSS on Titan Poker.

I got my $50 from here, and $50 from another site (which is in Absolute Poker). I decided to follow SSS on Titan (as advised on this site), but my normal strategy on Absolute (which generally involves buying in at 40x BB, and being slightly looser than SSS).

The result was that SSS lost half my bankroll on Titan. Every good hand I had was beaten, even when I flopped trips and was called by someone chasing or with high pair, I'd be beaten by the river every time. During this time, I was steadily increasing my bankroll on Absolute (have doubled it there, though it has stagnated around that point for a while now!).

So I stopped playing SSS on Titan, and went back to playing the way I usually do (which has come about from around 400000 hands on Carbon Poker - I haven't had to deposit on Carbon Poker for well over a year). I have made up 33% of my losses already (in three sessions).

The only thing I can't decide is whether SSS doesn't work, or it just doesn't work for me!!
      If you are winning player over 400k hands then why did you need Pokerstrategy's $50?

I am moving up from NL10 tomorrow as i have hit $150 with SSS over 4.5k hands. Maybe i run gooood hehe. I play on Mansion though and we all get hands where we lose. Just got to ride it out.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      i've never heard of winning sss player) it migh be working for some random luckboxes, not for a solid player though)
    • matkov
      matkov
      Bronze
      sarcasm right ? :D
    • ThESoNiC
      ThESoNiC
      Bronze
      double rake on ftp nl10

greetings from germany
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ThESoNiC
      greetings from germany
    • matkov
      matkov
      Bronze
      double rake?
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Originally posted by matkov
      double rake?
      10%, rather than 5% on most other limits
    • carbonpom
      carbonpom
      Bronze
      Originally posted by c4ught
      If you are winning player over 400k hands then why did you need Pokerstrategy's $50?
      Winning on microlimits doesn't give me huge payback. I have used the profits to enter tourneys, in which my performance is very variable, so while I haven't paid any money into Carbonpoker, I also haven't taken any money out!! Also, I think I added one too many 0s to the figure, oops! I have played less than 100k hands (difficult to work out as for Carbon I can't import the stats to PokerTracker, and when I play Havana tables I don't get comp points so can't tally anything that way...).

Free $50 is free $50 and gives me bankroll (albeit small) in two other sites, on both of which I am increasing it. I'd like to learn how to increase it quicker though!
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      I will try and show you that sss can be profitable on all limits:

SSS project by a SSS-hater
    • Muggs
      Muggs
      Bronze
      Usefull topic!