How does the game change from 6max to 5max and 3max

• Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      I'm talking about preflop. Let's say I have some standard opening ranges to fall on whenever I play against unkowns @6max. If play a 5max table can I still keep those opening ranges, now playing without a UTG position?

Let's say I open 35% of BTNs, 25% of CO and 15% of MP in a 6max game. In a 5max should I loosen up my opening ranges just because the blinds come by much faster? Should I defend the blinds more often?

How about 3max?
  • 2 replies
    • vmarqui
      vmarqui
      Bronze
      the only difference between 5 and 3 handed is that there is a MP position. you should open the same from BU in both (which should be more than 35% btw)
    • verneer
      verneer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gabinr1
      I'm talking about preflop. Let's say I have some standard opening ranges to fall on whenever I play against unkowns @6max. If play a 5max table can I still keep those opening ranges, now playing without a UTG position?
      This is a good general rule.

Let's say I open 35% of BTNs, 25% of CO and 15% of MP in a 6max game. In a 5max should I loosen up my opening ranges just because the blinds come by much faster? Should I defend the blinds more often?

How about 3max?
      I would focus much more on who is still left to act and expand/tighten my opening ranges accordingly.

3-max, is kind of like Heads Up but with a twist. It's ALL about your opponents there, and not nearly as much about your hand. So instead of thinking "I am going to open 35% on the button", you should think "My opponent is playing 40% of their hands when I open from the BTN and three-betting 15%. Postflop, he is folding to 40% of c-bets. My best play is to open ____ and then do ____ if he ____ ."