[NL20-NL50] sh 25 nfd 3bet pot barreling turn and getting raised

• DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Poker Stars $25.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 1625200
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

CO: $61.86 - VPIP: 8, PFR: 8, 3B: 0, AF: 1.0, Hands: 13

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero is BB with A :spade: J :heart:
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.75, 2 folds, Hero raises to $2.50, CO calls $1.75

Flop: ($5.10) 8 :spade: K :spade: 5 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.50, CO calls $3.50

Turn: ($12.10) 2 :club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $6.80, CO raises to $13.60, Hero folds

Board: K:spade: 8:spade: 5:spade:  2:club:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    17.15%  17.15%   0.00% { AsJh }
      MP3    82.85%  82.85%   0.00% { 88, AKs, QsJs, JsTs, Ts9s, 9s7s, 7s6s }

Ran this simulation. 0.17*50 - 0.82*12.2 ==> -1.5. Put in only 88 and AKs since I would expect him to usually raise his sets on the flop and discounted AK because he would play many of them differently, either pf or on the flop.

Reasonable range?

Should I consider other play on the turn?
  • 6 replies
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      Why the hell are you 3betting PRE? His range will be often way too strong.

As played: I'd bet the flop bigger, overshove the turn (if he called flop means he usually is on something marginal on this wetboard).

But not 3betting preflop is MUCH BETTER. MUCH BETTER.
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      There were only 8 hands on the guy and we were 100bb deep.

Is pretty standard for me to 3bet pre, blinds vs LP reggish opener AJo. You strongly advise against this ? If the answer is positive I would appreciate a little explanation.
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DeMarcohsp
      There were only 8 hands on the guy and we were 100bb deep.

Is pretty standard for me to 3bet pre, blinds vs LP reggish opener AJo. You strongly advise against this ? If the answer is positive I would appreciate a little explanation.
      3betting AJ from BU against CO is not standard. What do you think he will call you with? Without any reads he won't call with weak hands, especially since he is OOP. What do you want to win here? We want to keep his JT+ in range. We have position and we can even raise a turn when the board is wet for example.

The only time I would 3bet is when the blinds have very high SQZ (10%+).

Play the AJ in position, aggressive for value (and semibluffs) is the best way to go.
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      I am BB in the hand. I clearly see your point in calling AJo IP BU vs CO.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I don´t see any reason why not to 3-bet there AJ, likely we also not get called by worse hands if we 3-bet with AK, but that would build up nice dynamic, so we can defend our big blind against steals easily on the next times

And how we should exactly play aggressively AJ postflop-c/r on Jxx or Axx boards? or c/r there with bluffs.

So I think 3-betting make your hand easier to play both pre-flop (since very likely we´re not dominated if get called) and postflop, c-betting with initiative is often better than just start c/c.

Postflop I´m not folding my hand. I think your turn bet size is fine and likely I would bet/shove turn, since he may always try to bluffraise me and even if he has smt like KQ then my A might also be good out.

best regards,
    • DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      I would also bet/fold turn. I don't believe people bluff this kind of board in 3bet-pot vs unknown. And if he bluffs, I doubt it would be a minraise.