BTN ($41.33)

Dealt to Hero A:heart: Q:club:

fold, fold, CO raises to $0.30, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.20

FLOP ($0.65) K:spade: 7:club: 9:heart:

Hero checks, CO bets $0.46, Hero calls $0.46

TURN ($1.57) K:spade: 7:club: 9:heart: 4:club:

Hero checks, CO bets $1, Hero folds

CO wins $1.50

Vilain is 22/19/1.5AF/100 Cbet in 70 hands.

This type of hands gives me a headache, how to behave optimally. Obviously, this is the board where he c-bets his whole range. But by c/r'ing him I rep not too much, if not nothing at all.

So I decided to float and hope for his check on the turn. Doesn't happen, and the card itself is not that great for a 2nd barrel from his point of view, so I give it to him.

Is it ok?
  • 6 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Pkrpains,

Doesn't make sense to float the flop like that, you are OOP, what you going to achieve with it? Neither you didn't point out his 2nd barrel %. So either Check/Raise the flop or just fold the hand.

Best Regards.
    • Pkrpains
      Pkrpains
      Bronze
      Umm, I see.

So what are generally good spots to float? Can you give an example or two?

Thank you for your work!
    • sausage646
      sausage646
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Pkrpains
      So what are generally good spots to float?
      obviously the best spot to float is on button :f_biggrin:
    • Pkrpains
      Pkrpains
      Bronze
      I don't mean position... I mean the type of opponent, the board texture, etc..
    • sausage646
      sausage646
      Bronze
      tagish straight forward player who cb flop and instantly gives up on turn
      obviously dry boards and mainly you need to be in position,
      because floating op against unknown players on which you have small hand sample ( ~imo 70 is not enough ) is not profitable.

obviously you need to know his tendencies - cb flop/ cb turn (at least 10 cases),
      what hands he limps and open raise in late position

--> and than looking at board ask your self: "does his pre flop opening range
      hits it" --> if not float.

But general things you need to know is his cb flop/turn/ | position | dry boards (552r, Axxr, K27r and so on..) | a good feel on his playing tendencies |

Problem about this hand we are out of position and we don't have that big sample so just give up on flop, if you are not planning to check call flop and check raise turn (but for that we need bigger sample).
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Pkrpains
      Umm, I see.

So what are generally good spots to float? Can you give an example or two?

Thank you for your work!
      Floating is more advanced stuff and it's nothing that you should be doing in basic steps. There are couple of articles about that in PokerStrategy, would advice you to read about. :)

Floating is usually towards that you also have to have a plan, you must know the opponent and you must of course know what you doing with your hand. :D Not just hope I am ahead with my Ace high. Also float rather IP than OOP.