Skraggy

• Skraggy
      Skraggy
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I enjoy the challenge and I guess I have dreams about doing it for a living and basically working for myself rather than 'the man' so to speak.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Since I work full time I tend to not play overly long sessions in my free time since I work on a pc all day. Live poker games I tend to have a few beers and a good time while still trying to play as best I can.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

To play a select few(range) of starting hands, and to play them aggressively. This is generally a better and more profitable style than the others since betting and raising gives you 2 ways to win a pot(basically taken from Phil Gordon's little green book :-) )
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

I wouldn't say it's bad that you ain't playing long sessions. You can always make some smaller sessions and more of them. Depends really what suits the best for you, if you are busy with other work and stuff then sure, this way works also fine.

With poker it's practically the same as with driving, why it's not allowed to drive with car then you drink? Because you can more easier lose concentration and the same goes for poker. You will most likely not concentrate enough and make a lot mistakes. Of course you can play drunk when you just want to have fun but when you want to take it more seriously then I would rather recommend not drinking beer during poker. :) But obviously it may also vary from people to people, some may even still keep their A-game even with few beers.

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • Skraggy
      Skraggy
      Bronze
      Thank you for taking the time to post a reply in my little thread Veriz :]
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Skraggy
      Thank you for taking the time to post a reply in my little thread Veriz :]
      You are welcome, hopefully you enjoy being around here. :) Wish ya good luck in the future homeworks & poker.
    • Skraggy
      Skraggy
      Bronze
      Lesson 2

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why? (Are there any hands you would play differently? Do you have a problem or question about how a specific hand or hands should be played?)

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. ( Post your hand in the Hand evaluation forums and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)

Answers to follow shortly(hopefully tonight when I get home from work) :)
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Welcome back to the course Skraggy.

Let me know when the answers are up and we can talk about them.

Best of luck at the tables.