[NL2-NL10] NL2, Q6o CO limped, Q-set on flop

• londonsystem
      londonsystem
      Silver
      I think this is an example of hand that I played a bad starting hand and got lucky, but did not know what to do.

I have no history on this opponent, but he seems to be just average. I had a nice winning image at this table, so I expanded my range a little far at this point.

Poker Stars $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (CO): $5.25
      BTN: $0.79
      SB: $2.83
      BB: $1.11
      UTG: $1.61
      MP: $8.19

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with 6:heart: Q:club:
      1 fold, MP calls $0.02, Hero calls $0.02, BTN calls $0.02, SB calls $0.01, BB checks

Limp with intention of folding to an open. It was limped around as the table was quite passive.

Flop: ($0.10) Q:diamond: 5:diamond: Q:spade: (5 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, MP checks, Hero bets $0.08, BTN calls $0.08, SB folds, BB folds, MP folds

I might be ahead of anyone, but queen is a card that could be in anyone's range and 5's full is also possible with 4 opponents. I think queen would bet, 5-full house would check/call. Three checked, so less queen-ish. Bet a little less than a pot to reduce the field. BTN calls, it could be anything, but possibly another queen or flush draw.

Turn: ($0.26) 9:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.02, BTN raises to $0.10, Hero calls $0.08

Another suited card, and I min-bet. On higher level, it's a really bad move, but in a very passive NL2, it could make any draws like JTx or pairs to call, not raise. However, BTN raises, but very small size. It means he had either flush or queen and does not want to lose me. I think 50% of the time, I'm behind. I could see the river with implied odds. I got 10 outs for a full-house or a quad (about 4 to 1)

River: ($0.46) 9:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.59 all in, Hero calls $0.59

Another 9. I tried to check/raise for a weak flush or missed straight draw bluff from BTN. However, BTN snap-shipped. I was sure it was a flush, and called.

However, I think I could have done the same thing with one third to a half pot bet. Even it was a missed draw for opponent, I might get a crying call with any pair. If it was a missed straight draw, I would lose my value as he would check back.
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello londonsystem,

Welcome to the NL Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future. I hope that with our help you can improve your play and as well move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

Preflop: Fold preflop! Limping will be never be profitable here.

As played
      Postflop: Why do you Bet so small on the turn? If you even want to Bet then you should bet it bigger, although the question is if we really should? it's very likely that we could be against flush and don't want to get raised big. But now again against his stack? Most likely we wont be able to get away anyways, so if you Bet the turn we also bet bigger and go broke. But as played ship the river yourself! He is Checking behind a lot worse hands.

Best Regards.