[NL2-NL10] Hand Evaluation Coaching - Homework #20 07.02.12

• veriz
      Hello PokerStrategists,

as some of you may have heard that we have a homework in each of our No-Limit Hand Evaluation Coachings.

Here is the homework for the coaching from Feb 7th, please note:

• Everybody is invited to share his thoughts here regardless if you joined the last coaching or not.
      • Whoever is active in the homework threads can get a free database analysis by us which helps you to improve your game.

Find the hand below waiting for you opinions and analysis posted in this thread. Furthermore do not forget to join our next coaching on Tuesday, February 14th at 6 PM GMT.

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.20(BB) Replayer
      SB ($23.21)
      Hero ($38.20)
      UTG ($19)
      CO ($18.52)
      BTN ($18.84)

Dealt to Hero J:club: Q:spade:

fold, fold, BTN raises to $0.40, fold, Hero calls $0.20

FLOP ($0.90) T:heart: 9:heart: 6:club:

Hero checks, BTN bets $0.67, Hero raises to $2.35, BTN calls $1.68

TURN ($5.60) T:heart: 9:heart: 6:club: J:spade:

Hero bets $4.20, BTN calls $4.20

RIVER ($14) T:heart: 9:heart: 6:club: J:spade: 3:club:

Hero bets $4.40, BTN raises to $11.89 (AI), Hero folds

BTN wins $21.66

58/22/4.3, cbet 85, fold cbet to raise 67 (6), AF on river 1.5,
      hands don't memeber how many in game there was, could be like 50-60, now I have 173 hands so river AF is bit different

I didn't call river because:
      he called raise on flop, which from stats he doesn't do often
      his river AF is low, and he should raise with J8 or weaker hand, but I believe he would just call. Also straigt draw completed. Only there is busted FD, but he should not thinkt that this small raise will work for him as bluff.
      Also I was planning to bet/fold, otherwise if I would want to invest all my chips, I would go allin myself, because as I said he could call with J8 but not raise with it.
  • 4 replies
    • Wurble
      Am I a nit because I'd fold this pre? If it was suited I'd 3bet pre...

As played, given his stats I'd check raise the flop, bet the turn and check\fold the river I guess.

My reason for this is that villain folds cbet to a raise 67% of the time so check\raise is ok + we have some equity but when he calls I think his range is mostly draws.. He should be getting it in there and then with an overpair or better to protect his hand.

The turn gives us top pair but completes KQ and some random 7's. I think we can bet to get value from FD's a lot.

The river is a complete blank so he either has us beat or is folding to a bet imo. Or if he bets less than half pot I can find a call as a bluff catcher but even then I'd want some bet sizing reads on villain, I think check\folding the river is the safest without solid reads.
    • faronel
      Preflop: not much of a 6max player, but I'd say standard call. No point to 3bet here.

Flop: cbet fold to raise is pretty high (despite the small amount of hands). Think he would have played his completed hand (like a set) differently here. So, I'd say villain is on a draw/combo draw (KhJh, QhJh, J8h8h, AhXh etc, at worst, AT).

Turn: well, villain isn't continuing here with air (there isn't much implied odds for him, with his stack). Unless, villain is sure that hero will pay off the flush on river or something... My question, why villain isn't raising here and just calling?

River: Villain's low AF for river. What do we beat here? Me are behind KhJh and hands like that.
    • chocular77
      PF: Calling is fine, if he folds alot to 3B i would 3B

F: semibluff c/r against his high fold value on flop is also fine. Since we are oop we can't just call.

T: Our hand gets some help and we should continue our line to maximize our foldequity.
      If villain is very showdown bound i would not bet since he already didn't fold on the flop so he won't fold the turn.

Thats the downside of c/r flop bet turn. The pot gets way to big. I ask myself if it would be a possiblity to just c/c flop and turn but playing a draw for odds + oop + 2 hearts on board should be a fold on turn.

R: After 50 hands the river AF can't be very accurate so i would just c/c anything less than 1/2 pot so he can bet his busted draws.
    • veriz

Preflop: Against a min-raise I don't mind even calling here, another possibility would even to 3bet.
      Flop: Check/Raise most likely as semi-bluff should be fine here. We have overcards + OESD & we have also fold equity.
      Turn: While we hit some of our outs I would definitely continue betting here and now even protecting our hand.
      River: Just Check/Fold it, there ain't going to be a lot worse hands which are going to pay you and neither you can't Check/Call cause he is pretty passive. Just FD missed. Or either if we expect him to be capable of bluffing then Check/Call.

Best Regards.