NL50 A3s

• ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      BTN/SB: $62.06 - VPIP: 53, PFR: 32, 3B: 11, AF: 3.1, Hands: 48

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BB with 3 :heart: A :heart:
      BTN/SB raises to $1.50, Hero raises to $5, BTN/SB calls $3.50

Flop: ($10.00) 7 :club: Q :spade: 6 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $5.50, BTN/SB raises to $12.70, Hero ???

Villain fairly aggro but not a real TAG/reg. Semi aggo "good fish". No specific reads at the point of 3bet.

My thoughts:

Preflop: fucked it up abit maybe, coulda call. Think calling is better?

Flop: I played a 3bet pot before him and used the same bet size. I saw him raising/semi bluffing with draws. The point is I have no fucking idea what to do on this flop. I can ship it for the fold equity alone and perhaps a small range of his draws (my ace high is good enough). Or should we check/fold?

I know bet/fold is the worse option?
  • 3 replies
    • Nivlem
      Nivlem
      Silver
      When testing out someone's reaction to 3-bets I usually prefer to not do it with weak aces, since often a decent part of his calling range consists of better aces. Rather try hands like suited gappers/Q8s kind of hands (the hands that are just not good enough to call with)

A hand like A3 suited plays decently well when just calling.

On the flop, his raise doesn't make much sense. A hand like AQ would possibly either 4-bet preflop or otherwise also just call the flop, unless he has a good reason to raise it. KQ/KJ kind of hands would also just call the flop.

Q7/Q6 shouldn't be in his calling range

His value raising range consists of 67/66/77 in my opinion.

His bluff raising range could be Ax, possibly Kx spades or any other kind of spade combination like QJ TJ and so on. Also straight draws like 89 or 45 if these are in his calling range (not 100% sure ofcourse.)

The range I created would look like this:

77-66,98s,76s,54s,AsKs,AsQs,KsQs,AsJs,KsJs,AsTs,KsTs,JsTs,As9s,Ks9s,Ts9s,As8s,Ks8s,98o,76o,54o

Board: 7:club: Q:spade: 6:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      Hero   32.75%  32.48%   0.27% { Ah3h }
      BTN  67.25%  66.98%   0.27% { 77-66, 98s, 76s, 54s, AsKs, AsQs, KsQs, AsJs, KsJs, AsTs, KsTs, JsTs, As9s, Ks9s, Ts9s, As8s, Ks8s, 98o, 76o, 54o }

with $28 in the pot and $40 behind (assuming we are playing 100bb deep), we don't seem to have enough equity, however if we include some random bluffs and our fold equity it might be enough to shove in this specific situation. It really depends on his exact raising and then his call shove range though, this is just my random assumption. If he is fairly aggro, he might have a lot more random bluffs in his range (which I didn't include here)

Check/folding might be an option, but when you don't have information yet I would prefer betting to see how he acts postflop in 3-bet pots.

I like your betsizes throughout the hand.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      1. Call Pre, very standard in HU. I may 3bet if deep, or if its 3-handed and I'm in SB vs BU, would flat BB vs BU.

2. Default is just to cbet 100% until some dynamic develops. I would c/f on this board with my actual hand if the dynamics have reached the stage where I needed to be more balanced. As played I would b/f. You have no equity, you shouldn't even be considering playing back at him. If you had AK maybe there could be an argument for shipping.
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      If hes very fit or fold 3b'ing pre can be good also, but as the guys have said before without a reason prefer calling pre :)

Also I think what Galvin said about flop play is perfect.