ilovemagic

• ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      hey veriz and company!
      Figure I should take up 1 more spot in the locker room... If there's room of course :P Currently being crushed on NL2, full ring. I'm their favorite tilt machine. tilt is my biggest issue, that i need to get over real soon, or i wont go anywhere in this game. I have a lot of work to do before i get there tho, and lots more bad beats to take to test my meddle.

this is january's stats. i cant understand why i was doing bad. but i am tightening up my range utg and i am playing fewer tables. small screen on laptop forces me to lose my edge when playing 5 or more tables i feel. plus i am still getting a feel for what range crushes the best at NL2, despite the popular opinions about playing super tight. i like to loosen up just a bit more then tight, this month i will start to play like 17-22% of hands, and only 14-15% utg if i can.

• 37 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck ilovemagic,

Hopefully you will enjoy around here. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, we will be around for you. Meanwhile good luck on tables, we will be waiting for your homework.

You can now start with your 1st Lesson:
      Lesson #1

The whole course plan:
      Overview of Beginners Course

Before starting to talk about stats at all here, what's the sample size? :) Couldn't find it. But from first view it seems that you have couple of leaks already there but before going to analyze or anything tell also sample size which is very important.

Best Regards.
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      sorry i thought i told you sample size ! its 9k hands. its my stats for the month of january and a couple days in february.

and thanks for those 2 links, I will be hard at it sometime tonight after my son goes to bed ! :)

:spade: Question 1 :club: : What is your motivation for playing poker?
      my main motivation is having something to do with my spare time (i have a lot of spare time) that is healthy, and doesnt cost a lot of money to play. I used to play magic: the gathering, but now I quit because it cost too much and there's no payoff where I live. I love everything about Poker. I'll never know why I didnt realize this sooner so I could've gotten started seriously sooner...but now it's my time to begin, and I am going 100% effort to get to where I want to be in the future, with everything in my life, not just poker.
      I love how there is a high ceiling for earning potential and also how you can choose your own hours of employment. There is really no limit to how much $ you can make in this game if you want it bad enough, and are willing to constantly evolve your game.
      Having the potential of travelling the world to go to different events and tourneys is another thing that I love about this game.
      I also like the challenge alone of knowing I can acheive something great in life without having to go to formal university or college.

:spade: Question 2 :club: : What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      Everything to do with psychological. Tilt mainly. I lose more on tilt then anything.
      I have a lot of other leaks obviously, like making too many marginal calls/bets, but I need to work on this more then anything right now. Not folding enough when I know I'm beat most of the time in that particular situation was becoming a big issue with me, but I have that plugged seemingly well at the moment. I was playing different games and not using BRM too, but I have plugged that leak as well seemingly well enough for now :)

:heart: Question 3: :diamond: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Tight agressive is playing strong starting hands, playing in position, and rarely flat calling other peoples preflop raises. You play the flop agressively, and are always trying to think, think, think. It works because you become difficult to play against in more situations then any other player type, save but for LAG's, which apparently most TAG's turn into as they progress in their careers, and get more comfortable in their reads, and post flop play.
      TAG style is important for beginner's to avoid many marginal situations, and also avoid playing out of position. Giving yourself the edge by starting with better hands then your opponent and forcing them to make many tough decisions for their chips is key to a beginner's success, I think, possibly even any player's success.
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      JJ NL2 vs tight opponent

QTo NL2 position raise, c bet flop

KK NL2 multiway paired board.

44 NL2 vs loose& agressive but not lag.

QQ vs tight o

AQ BU raise NL2

ATo NL2 vs loose player

I evaluated these hands of other members:
      AA - Fold after re-raise on turn? played by BigZebula

Nl2 Kk 10.02.12 played by dErlUxEr

not much action today...just pretty standard stuff.

Its like 4:15 AST and I've been analysing/sleeping/doing other things since about 2AM this morning. It's time to go donate again :s_cool: wish me luck :)

The session went well :) added about $4 to my BR in 50 minutes playing 3 tables :) lots of fish I love it :) it helped that I sucked out a $4 pot when I called all in on the flop with second nuts and redraw to flush and rivered flush to beat him tho lol :)
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      sorry if u read this before i edited it!

13) Result oriented thinking

12) Afraid of other limits (wont move down and up limit range according to how theyre feeling today)
      intro urself to a new limit by playing 15-50% of ur hands there that month

allows you to get a feel for the limit

11) Dead money
      IS NOT THE FISH SITTING TO YOUR RIGHT..IT IS:

player who opens light and folds to 3 bets
      if they open from CO= 28%
      Bu 35%
      sb = 30%
      they will fold to 3 bet often enough to profit from light 3 bet

fold to steal from CO= 70%+ =I 3bet wide
      fold to steal from BU=70%+=I 3bet wide
      fold to steal from SB=70%+=I bet wide
      anything over 75% is just party time.

if u are the button and utg opens 17% or more, and folds 70% to 3bet ,3bet wide vs them

floating vs regs that 3 bet more then 70% of flops but less then 40% on turn are just asking to be floated on flop and bluffed on turn
      (when your IP of course, when oop a check raise on flop will suffice)

10) redline fixation or non-showdown winnings
      1 stat you should be focussed on is your WINRATE. at microstakes more then 3bb/100 is good . less means you suck and need more work

trying to rep hands vs players who cant handread is a losing proposition

9) leveling

or. thinking too deeply about a hand and at micros in general

level 0 thinking
      complete moron
      clicking buttons
      no rhyme or reasoning
      best dealt with by playing level 1

level 1 thinking
      focus on absolute strength of their hand never folds tptk or overpairs best dealt with by playing level 2

level 2 thinking
      familiar with reading hand and ranges focus on how their opponents play and act accordingy will get outplayed by level 3

level 3 thinking
      rep a reasonable and wide range of hands with dif lines you take very important ur opponent can read hands necessary that the range u rep is wide and believable what does my hand look like when i make this play?

8) bet sizing
      bet sizing starts preflop

on flop ask urself how big a pot u wanna play for.
      base bet size on strength of ur hand at 50nl and lower

build big pot with big hand/ keep small with small hand
      make decision on early streets

7) lack of support

have a core group of players to support and brainstorm with

with failure and challenges
      celebrate sucess
      surround urself with other successful people
      useless iff u dont use it
      easy to rest on laurels
      easy to set up. hard to stay running
      find SERIOUS members
      4-5 is a good number

6) oop play!

Playing weak hands oop often is just asking to lower your winrate

5)blindly cbetting
      opp vs weak agressive c/r lots of flops 70%cbet/40%-cbetturn types

4) level one poker
      shift into thinking not about what ur hand is..but what they have :)

3)calling too many 3 bets
      having position post flop not so important a reason to call 3 bet
      wanting to own people
      "just" wanting to see a flop.
      fear of being exploited

Theory behind above reasons:
      none of these reasons have a post flop plan
      these reasons are mostly emotional, rather then logical ways of thinkin

right reason to continue:
      u have implied odds to continue with marginal hands (22-TT)
      villain 3 bets often but folds to 4 bet often
      happy to get it in on flop, but no pre.
      generate little to no fold equity with 4 bet anyway (ex hes short stack and has to call)

before u call 3 bet ask:
      is it emotional reason or logical reason

2) Tilt
      having plan for recognising emotional spikes is paramount to success

cannot be overcome analytically or intellectually in the heat of the moment

definition:
      any deviation. no matter how slight, or fleeting from your A+ game.

soft tilt:
      tired, hungry , distracted. non emotional not to do with table.

hard tilt:
      emotional link in chain of cause and effect.
      tilt is our brains evolutionary reaction to a threat. (ex. lose big pot and wonder if youll ever get it back)
      Loss of series of small pots lead to tilt ex 5 20-40bb pots in a row.

once the brain is breached by cause, effect is brain shut off optimal thinking and prepares for battle. You start reverting
      To emotional thinking and its something you cant revert back without removing yourself from the situation or until its too late

recognise your own tilt triggers

understand how your game changes as a result of this

develop strategy to keep from crossing over to tilt mode.

EXECUTE THAT STRATEGY AND PULL THE FUCKING PLUG. THE GAME ISNT GOING ANYWHERE. it will be there when you feel better.

session stop loss (its 2 bi for me)

reccomend 1 hr before playing again. if it happens 2 times stop for the day.

prepare away from table to conquer mighty tilt monster

1)table selection

single biggest factor in your win rate and variance will be players you play against.

if you have a clear and defined edge over another dude, your winrate will be high and variance lower.

how do i determine edge?

identify leaks in opponent game
      have a plan to exploit the leaks

look to identify all possible edges when sitting at a table for the
      first few rounds of blinds (3-5 rounds at most)

cant find any good reason to stay?? LEAVE .

figure out who u wanna be involved with the most and the least

go out of your way to become involved in pots with players you think you have the best edge over.
      try to just avoid the player(s) you think u will have the least edge over for the most part.

once the biggest fish (worst player) busts or loses most of his $ consider leaving table
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      :f_thumbsup:
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      I love the info on table selection, instead of just picking tables on vpip, I actually take a lot more notice on how to extract money from players at the table!
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      yeah for sure. im always lookin for a label to give to each player and i play them from then on according to their label. it has been garnering great success for me so far!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Bankroll-management is a common leak for a lot of players. They just don't see how important it's actually to follow the BRM. Without following it you could say that you are just gambling with your money. For that reason we really need to find a way how we going to follow strictly to the BRM and never try to play besides it. It will be hard to make you a good poker player if you don't follow BRM. Try to find a way, just force yourself to follow the rule even if it's hard at the beginning.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

By the way, perfectly well pointed out micro stake players leaks. A lot of them are common and I guess with some of them you are already familiar and have fixed it. Usually when you think about those things it will get you much better and now on the table you will also remember writing down all those leaks and most likely it will be a bigger chance that you don't have them anymore. Good work!

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      thank you for the insight veriz!

I will start with lesson 2 whenever you say.

I was wondering if you could point out any major leaks in my stats i posted about a week ago here in this thread. its the first post. remember, i played 9k hands to arrive at those stats.

thank you veriz! all this training has made me believe this dream of mine is so possible to acheive if i work hard and dont get cocky or complacent :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      You can whenever start when you are ready for next homework.

About the stats I am not used to evaluate Elephant stats but I will give a try. The first huge mistakes you do is that you CB only made hands, CB overall is way too small. Also if you CB then you start CBetting like a maniac and never even give up. CB bigger on the flop, balance your CB on turn & river.

Also why do you open-limp late position and what hands do you open-limp at all? You shouldn't be open-limping on late position.

Also as you may understand 9k hands isn't really a big sample size from which you might even change a lot in future your gameplay.
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      geez. i have so much to learn! why am i only c betting made hands veriz? I dont like cbetting AJ when the flop comes 9 6 2 offsuit...just dunno about that. i will start to post many of my hands where i have the initiative preflop. you can evaluate them for me and we can see where we stand on this issue. I know asking you to look at stats in a vaccum is probably a recipe for disaster...so I wont really do that anymore, unless I start losing A LOT. but right now im winning so we need to plug the biggest leak, which seems to be bad c betting skills, and limpin instead of open raising. chances are if its good enough to OL its good enough for a raise. I open limp a lot of pocket pairs in MP1 and 2 because i like to see the flop rather then get 3 bet and not see flop. other then that i will be throwing garbage hands away from now on :)

Thank you sir :)
      Magic
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hey ilovemagic,

When posting hands you need to post them in the Hand Evaluation Forum

I've moved all the current hands you've posted in the Locker Room, but please post the rest in the Link above :D
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      The main idea why I think you have a small CB and mainly made hands is cause it's 56% on the flop. Which means either you just CB something like draws/made hands or even just made hands for only 9k hands. On higher limits such a play will be easily be exploitable cause.
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      tonight im working on forcing myself to cbet more, and it seems to be working so far! i even get some value when they call flop and fold turn , and im getting more action on my bigger flops! :) trying to pull off a sick bluff sometimes is heart pounding too :D
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by ilovemagic
      tonight im working on forcing myself to cbet more, and it seems to be working so far! i even get some value when they call flop and fold turn , and im getting more action on my bigger flops! :) trying to pull off a sick bluff sometimes is heart pounding too :D
      That's great, so how are things going now?
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze

does this sum up how ive been doing ?
      this is since jan 17th, when i tried to use ur advice as best i could. i think i have my c bet on flop up to 65% and on turn down to 54% . but river cbetting is like 65% lol i need to check it down on the river a bit more lols. i also am trying to simplify my game a bit more. i need to pick my bluffs/outplay spots a bit better. but im working on it as best i can :)

worst cooler in a while happend yester day..guess what he had..

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $5.36
      MP3:
      $5.55

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.106 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with T:heart: , T:club:
      4 folds, MP3 raises to $0.20, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.18, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.45) A:heart: , A:club: , T:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 checks.

Turn: ($0.45) J:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.3, MP3 raises to $0.60, Hero raises to $1.30, MP3 calls $0.70.

River: ($3.05) 8:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.52, MP3 raises to $4.05 (All-In), Hero calls $2.34 (All-In), MP3 gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

Final Pot: $10.77

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP3 shows four-of-a-kind, aces (As Ad)
      Hero shows (Th Tc)

MP3 wins with four-of-a-kind, aces (As Ad)

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $11.22
      Hero:
      $5.53

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.106 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7:heart: , 7:club:
      MP1 folds, Hero calls $0.05, 4 folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.12) K:club: , 8:diamond: , 7:diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.12, BB raises to $0.30, Hero raises to $1.02, BB calls $0.72.

Turn: ($2.16) 5:heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.68, BB calls $1.68.

River: ($5.52) 3:club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $2.78 (All-In), BB calls $2.78.

Final Pot: $11.08

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three-of-a-kind, sevens (7h 7c)
      BB shows (Kh Td)

Hero wins with three-of-a-kind, sevens (7h 7c)

There's a few more nice ones and bad ones too but i wont post them unless u really want me to. anyways It seems to be working as expected! Although last night I got JJ QQ KK AA like 13 times total, and not a damn bit of action preflop lol! but shit happens oh well. I find im making the most off my PP's.

Out of 15 of my most profitable hands since the 17th, only 2 were not pocket pairs. one was AK and the other was QJs.

thanks veriz :)

Magic
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      alright veriz. i finally decided to do this homework!

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

well you see the hands i post in the forums. I'm comfortable raising any 2 vs tighter players and trying to rob them cold of their blinds.

i also like to raise bigger preflop against loose passive and calling station type players.

i will make the odd slowplay with big pairs or AK in certain situations vs maniacs and donks

i love playing in pots vs loose players with pretty well any 2 decent cards (suited connectors, 1 and 2 suited gappers , A-xs type hands) that i would normally fold to a better player.

i like to open with QJs+ utg+ sometimes even KJo+ in utg+ positions just to balance out my range and get more action on my big PP's.

sometimes i'll limp/raise big pp's utg for value.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      there arent really too many preflop questions i have at the limit im at now. i think sometimes i might open too loose or call too big of a raise with weak holdings. havent i posted enough hands on the forums for evaluation? im up to about 100 so far i think. just posted like 5 yesterday heres one of the links:
      this is how to play 69o oop. my fave hand. NL5

question 3:
      whats the preflop equity of AKo vs the top 5% range 88+ AJs+ AKo?

~45%
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Really nice graph mate! Keep it like that. :)

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some tight opponents who give up their blinds either preflop or postflop, why not to adjust? Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

i also like to raise bigger preflop against loose passive and calling station type players.

Against stations who are willing to pay anyways I don't mind such a play at all. But watch out and don't commit too much yourself. :)

i will make the odd slowplay with big pairs or AK in certain situations vs maniacs and donks

Wouldn't advice that either, against maniacs just Bet/Bet/Bet. ;)

i love playing in pots vs loose players with pretty well any 2 decent cards (suited connectors, 1 and 2 suited gappers , A-xs type hands) that i would normally fold to a better player.

You sure that you can also play very profitable with them? :) Try to figure that out if you do and if it's so then why not? But if your postflop skill isn't very good that then you might tighten up your range.

i like to open with QJs+ utg+ sometimes even KJo+ in utg+ positions just to balance out my range and get more action on my big PP's.

Wouldn't really advice unless your postflop skill is very good and you know around how to play being OOP and you know against whom you playing. Especially KJ/QJwhich is way too often dominated when you get called and you play it OOP.

sometimes i'll limp/raise big pp's utg for value.

Never do that! It's one of the worst lines to do. :f_cry: You will never going to earn more money with such a play but rather you will lose.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      thanks for the amazing reply veriz :) i will listen to all of your advice as best I can because it made me into a winning player on NL2/5 ! now if i could just stay off those god damn death-trap PLO5 tables i would be laughing! i just blew ~$60 two days ago because i went on tilt and didnt implement stop loss quickly enough. anyways i banned myself from the omaha tables until further notice ;P

im gonna try out a few tourneys tonight ( i dont feel like playing CG's tonight, my confidence took a big hit the other day and i just feel like having fun and tossing my hat into a few low BI tourneys tonight (nothing over $2).

i still have a full BR for NL2, but with all the withdrawing and tilting that happened over the last couple weeks i went from ~$160 BR down to ~$50. But thats fine because I like playing poker at any limit, so im gonna grind that back up and keep on rocking it baby!!

magic