[NL2-NL10] A9s

• carrapa
      carrapa
      Bronze
      IPoker, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $5.61 (140.3 bb)
      MP: $5.69 (142.3 bb)
      CO: $5.36 (134 bb)
      BTN: $6.42 (160.5 bb)
      Hero (SB): $9.41 (235.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A 9
      MP folds, CO calls $0.04, BTN folds, Hero raises to $0.20, BB calls $0.16, CO calls $0.16

Flop: ($0.60) 5 J 9 (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.45, BB calls $0.45, CO folds

Turn: ($1.50) 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.12, BB calls $1.12

River: ($3.74) 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.80, BB calls $2.80

What do you think?
  • 3 replies
    • katrin0303
      katrin0303
      Bronze
      Hello!

I play those cards very carefully. And if i don't hit two pair or flush draw on flop, i never second barell.

So i would cbet and check/fold on turn.

No matter what type of player he is, for me it's to risky and EV-.

Hope it helps!
    • michel2311
      michel2311
      Bronze
      Originally posted by katrin0303
      Hello!

I play those cards very carefully. And if i don't hit two pair or flush draw on flop, i never second barell.

So i would cbet and check/fold on turn.

No matter what type of player he is, for me it's to risky and EV-.

Hope it helps!
      +1

Raising A9s out of the SB is -EV. As played I always should check/fold the flop not much you're gonna beat here.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, carrapa.

Position is a major factor in poker.

If you were in position I'd say your preflop raise is perfect. Being out of position, I'd at best complete if I knew the BB to be passive. If the BB was a good aggressive player I'd even muck since he might raise us often if we do complete.

Postflop you are in a very thin spot and it depends quite a bit on who's the player you're up against.

One important thing: you have to ask yourself why are you doing what you're doing.

Why are you betting again on turn? It's very thin but against some players you might have indeed a valuebet against straight draws and weaker 9x. And that's about it.

If that's the reason you bet on turn, why do you bet the river? Straight draws will not call anymore. So you're basically expecting the called you three times with a hand like T9 or 98 (you are showing strength since preflop). Against most players, I think that's unrealistic. Add that often he'll have TT and Jx and you don't have a profitable spot at all.

I think you can only play like that with very good reads on your opponents or your putting yourself in unprofitable spots too often.

edit: oh, sorry, I forgot to add that even if the guy called three times with T9 or 98, we're betting to split on the river as both of us have a full house. So no value there at all in betting vs. 9x; straight draws that missed won't call us (but could bluff if we checked), but I don't think he'd call twice with a gutshot. Maybe KQ since his overs might be good too.

Unfortunately when we bet river we're just valuebetting against ourselves.