tilt?

• secreit
      secreit
      Bronze
      sup guys. i am pretty new to poker and started playing with the 50$ bonus about one week ago. i started with playing sit & go 1$ games, until i was at 38$. then i played microstakes on multiple tables, got up to 52 and then dropped to 28$. yesterday i started playing NL10 SH went up to 58$, now im playing since about 2,5 hours and im down to 18$. im really afraid of losing all of my 50$.

Why do i do very well sometimes and verybad other times?
  • 11 replies
    • staktas
      staktas
      Bronze
      Answer to your question is simple: variance. It will be too big for you to handle because you are playing to high stakes, and you will definetly loose your starting capital, whatever you will do.

One peace of advice: READ ARTICLES. If you won't like what you read, believe me, poker is not for you then.
    • delhi2011
      delhi2011
      Bronze
      Hey mate

First thing first >> where is your bankroll management ???
      then we will talk :D :P :evil: :tongue: X( ?( ;)

cheers...
    • michel2311
      michel2311
      Bronze
      BANKROLLMANAGEMENT = THE NUTS!!!!!

Begin at the lowest limits, read documents, watch videos, visit coachings, play, post hands on the forum, read documents, etc.......Study is a must if you wanna be a winning player. A good start is Beginners Course.
    • secreit
      secreit
      Bronze
      you guys are right, i should play microstakes again. i dont know why i stopped, i just wasnt patient enough. well thanks for reminding me.

also, do you think holdem manager is useful on microstakes? i've been using it but it doesnt help me alot. or any other general tips for microstakes fr?

i've been using the big stack strategy shown on this site, and also fpcoach. i dont know which strategy is better, they are pretty similar.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hey secreit,

Firstly, as others have kindly pointed out, you need to be following BRM (Bankroll Management) With your $50 Bankroll you should have at least 25 BI's at the limit you choose to play, in your case this is NL2. $100 is NL4 and so on :) Its easy to lose several Buyins due to Varience ad whilst you're playing NL10, your Bankroll could be gone very fast, wether you play your A Game or not.

Do you post any hands in the Hand Evaluation Forums? If not I'd suggest you post some. If the Hand Reviewer comes back and says you played it right, then sweet! If not, you know where to improve, its a win/win situation ;)

For the tilt, I have a Stop-Loss Strategy in place for myself and find it works very well! I'd suggest you give it a go if Tilt is effecting your game at all because of the constant bad beats.

We have numerous Artciles on Tilt, take a look in the Psychology Section

Best of luck!
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      As you asked about Holdem Manager (HM), I'd advise the following:

If you are a beginner, keep HM just for session review purposes. It's good to have a database with all your hands etc. and reviewing it on a regular basis to find your mistakes. With time if you mess enough with it you can find spots where you are losing money etc.

BUT as for the HUD, DON'T use it. There are many reasons to it, but for me the main is this:

You must have a TAG ABC game, aka, a standard game. This game *will* get you through the lowest stakes. AFTER you master what is a standard ABC game (i.e., you not only know what to do on most common spots but also WHY you are doing it), only THEN you should start to change your strategy based on opponents.

Well... think with me: it's only when you change your strategy based on the opponents characteristics that a HUD makes sense. However, if one does not even have a very clear and solid strategy in the first place, how do you think one could make (correct!) adaptations based on other players tendencies? Impossible.

Thus: first learn ABC poker. Without a HUD. Learn a "jack of all trades" style that will get you through your first games. Master it. Learn the whys of each movement (why do you bet? Why do you check? etc.). Not the why as in "I have a strong hand" but the "technical why", look at the concepts behind the different types of bet (value, bluff, protection, dead money). It's a long way.

THEN, after you master all that, start to study how to adapt this ABC game (slightly and slowly) to get advantage of other people's mistaken tendecies. Only then a HUD starts to make sense.

There are other reasons not to use a HUD at first, but as you saw I write to much, so I'll state just this one (which, for me, is quite important).

Good luck. And like said before, follow bankroll management (BRM). You simply can't beat poker without it, period. You will win a lot and lose a lot in the long run; all that matters is winning a bit more than you lose. You can't get to this long run if you blow up your bankroll in the first mistake or unlucky spot you get into.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hey there secrit,

Wow, this is what makes our community so superb! Someone having trouble and don't know how to fix it gets surrounded help. Brilliant stuff. :heart:

failing with people like these around is tough! :D

Take heed of the top class advice and have fun,

Mal.
    • michel2311
      michel2311
      Bronze
      Originally posted by secreit
      you guys are right, i should play microstakes again. i dont know why i stopped, i just wasnt patient enough. well thanks for reminding me.

also, do you think holdem manager is useful on microstakes? i've been using it but it doesnt help me alot. or any other general tips for microstakes fr?

i've been using the big stack strategy shown on this site, and also fpcoach. i dont know which strategy is better, they are pretty similar.
      Follow my link to the Beginners Course (or look in the bronze strategy section). This is a step by step course to learn BBS. It really helped me a lot!! :s_biggrin:
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      omg in love with this thread!

i :heart: this community! lots of awesome suggestions and links from the guys. be sure to check it all out :)

smiles,
      wendy
    • secreit
      secreit
      Bronze
      thanks alot for your advice guys, its helping alot. I didn't expect to get such long and good replies. I hope I'll be as helpful one day.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by secreit
      thanks alot for your advice guys, its helping alot. I didn't expect to get such long and good replies. I hope I'll be as helpful one day.
      No problem, we're here to help you out :)

How is your tilt coming along now? Following BRM too? ;)