Bad start to sessions

• Graham28292
      Graham28292
      Bronze
      I have a really bad habit of starting sessions off very poorly. I make a lot of stupid mistakes that I wouldn't usually make. I would usually only come out with a profit if I play for a good few hours. If I do start to play well after my mistakes, I'm spending ages making up for them. And it can knock my confidence and I'm more likely to make even more bad decisions.

Basically I wish I was more consistent at the start of sessions, and I was wondering if anyone has any advice or similair experiences?
  • 7 replies
    • Agiz19
      Agiz19
      Bronze
      start of easy and dont start being to creative the first few hands of a session.
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      Warm up before sessions, either go over your last sessions played hands and see how you did or just hit the hand evaluations section in forum and review other players hands.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Graham28292,

I used to have this problem as well and still do some days! Krishjanis has the right idea, warming up. It's actually a very important and often neglected part of playing.

As an example, have you ever seen a boxer get to fighting without warming up first? Or a gymnast start a routine without stretching and loosening up? I bet you can think of many more examples yourself?
      You may think that yes, that's ok but they're athletes I 'm a poker player; but then what about chess players, or darts players, or...well, you get the picture by now! :)

We all have many things going on in our lives. Have you ever found it difficult to concentrate on a particular thing because there is something else in your head interfering?

Watch a video, review some hands, read some articles; but just get your brain thinking; 'it's poker time!'

So warm up, have fun, take 'em down! :D

Mal.
    • tolari
      tolari
      Black
      Also very helpful is starting session with less tables than as usual ;) e.g. when you normally play 8 tables play on just 4 for about 30 minutes then add 2 after 45 and next 2 after an hour from beginning. Or when you see you are concentrated well enough.
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      In my opinion it's to start a session with poker in mind, and not with just 'winning'. Making the decisions in the present moment without distracting yourself with thoughts of loss or gain.
    • Daenerys
      Daenerys
      Bronze
      I have the same problem, i mainly play my best A game during the middle of a session and do struggle often in the first few hands. Perhaps should look into this "warm-up" suggested above, cheers.
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      A another good thing to do is play lower stakes for your first session of the day.

Ill often start my day playing NL25 then once I feel that im playing well and on my A game ill move back to NL50 or NL100.

If I feel im not playing my best or im just running bad ill stay at Nl25 for the day.