How do you look at good flops after you fold?

• Odieone
      Odieone
      Bronze
      Hi...

I have been playing Poker for a little over a month. I aint going down by much but I ain't going up. But I hope at least that I am learning...

I have read the strategies a couple of times and I have see the sample posted hands and I keep the SHC on small cards that I try to memorize and I keep a copy nearby when I play just in case. But I know I am tilting and leaking...

This question comes up in my head more than it should be. I am a super noob. the best way for me to illustrate is thru an example.. sorry hadnt had time to hook up the hand poster yet.. I will this weekend.

Example: You hold A9o. UTG+2, UTG raises. No doubts you fold. Its just smart. Sitting in the early positions, there are too many unknowns yet to come. The flop comes: A A 9... I know the chances of that happening are pretty slim and i definitely made the right choice. I am new so sticking to the SHC and BRM is my best play.

But I was wondering how do you seniors - I mean in a respectful way :D , deal with kind of flop? I have been seeing alot of my hands turn out that way.

My pocket cards are not good enough (at my skill level) to play especially against callers and raisers so I fold but here comes the flop or the turn and I threw away a straight or a flush..everything looks great in hindsight.

I was hoping to get some insight what goes thru your mind when you see these kinds of hands?

Be Gentle :)
  • 16 replies
    • Petrificus
      Petrificus
      Bronze
      If you are multitabling you might not even see, if something like that happens. But it happens, you have to get used to it. You said yourself that you played right, and so you did, i'd say. I'm always thinking about my good hands that still will come, so ... :D
    • Drakhor
      Drakhor
      Bronze
      Well, let me show you some of my numbers. I've played 8243 hands on NL10 and these are my Misc. Stats:

Three of a Kind: Total Times: 207 - Went to Showdown: 31 - Hands Won $: 37
      Straight: TT: 153 - WTSD: 13 - HW: 10
      Flush: TT: 100 - WTSD: 9 - HW: 17
      Full House: TT: 90 - WTSD: 19 - HW: 19
      Four of a Kind: TT: 8 - WTSD: 4 - HW: 4
      Straight Flush: TT: 3 - WTSD: 1 - HW: 2

As you can see, I often threw away winning hands, and I don't even play the SSS 100%. Poker is one hand at a time, and that's also how I treat it. When someone sucks out on me on the River, I sneer and roll my eyes in disgust, but as soon as the next hole cards are in front of me, I'm already concentrating again on what to do this time.

You did the correct thing with throwing away A9 in such an early position. That the flop came this way is unlucky, but it happens. And who says you would have won? What if UTG held 88 and the third 8 appeared on the Turn and the fourth 8 appeared on the River? Then his Four of a Kind would have beaten your Full House and you would have lost your stack.

Poker is a game of patience. Don't get mad at your opponents when they beat you with worse hands, don't fret over missed flops. Your time will come. Just sit tight and wait, and eventually you will wake up with Pocket Aces in the BB and have 2 guys raise and re-raise in front of you... ;)

[EDIT]: I just saw that this is a thread in the Fixed Limit sub-forum, which I don't play. My numbers are No Limit ones, but I guess there's not such a big difference. :P

[EDIT2]: What edit? I didn't change nuttin! Nuh-uh! It wasn't me... The quote below is wrong! It's fake! Nuuuuuhhhh.... -_-
    • Odieone
      Odieone
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Drakhor
      Well, let me show you some of my numbers. I've played 8243 hands on NL10 and these are my Misc. Stats:

As you can see, I often threw away winning hands, and I don't even play the SSS 100%. Poker is one hand at a time, and that's also how I treat it. When someone sucks out on me on the River, I sneer and roll my eyes in disgust, but as soon as the next hole cards are in front of me, I'm already concentrating again on what to do this time.

You did the correct thing with throwing away A9 in such an early position. That the flop came this way is unlucky, but it happens. And who says you would have won? What if UTG held 99 and the fourth 9 appeared on Turn or River? Then his Four of a Kind would have beaten your Full House and you would have lost your stack.

Poker is a game of patience. Don't get mad at your opponents when they beat you with worse hands, don't fret over missed flops. Your time will come. Just sit tight and wait, and eventually you will wake up with Pocket Aces in the BB and have 2 guys raise and re-raise in front of you... ;)

[EDIT]: I just saw that this is a thread in the Fixed Limit sub-forum, which I don't play. My numbers are No Limit ones, but I guess there's not such a big difference. :P
      Thanks man... I think I just needed to hear it. Even when you know you did the right thing. Sometimes it hard to stomach. I know that my odds were bad and it would mean certain doom for me and my bankroll if I played too many of these hands.

I was afraid if I didnt hear somebody's else takes and words of wisdom from you all more experienced guys. I know I would be caught doing something dumb. I would've been tempted to play and I would have lost.

Thanks for the advice guys :D
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Odieone
      Originally posted by Drakhor

You did the correct thing with throwing away A9 in such an early position. That the flop came this way is unlucky, but it happens. And who says you would have won? What if UTG held 99 and the fourth 9 appeared on Turn or River? Then his Four of a Kind would have beaten your Full House and you would have lost your stack.

Thanks man... I think I just needed to hear it. Even when you know you did the right thing. Sometimes it hard to stomach. I know that my odds were bad and it would mean certain doom for me and my bankroll if I played too many of these hands.

I was afraid if I didnt hear somebody's else takes and words of wisdom from you all more experienced guys. I know I would be caught doing something dumb. I would've been tempted to play and I would have lost.

Thanks for the advice guys :D
      how can the 4th 9 come? he was holding A9 :)
    • Drakhor
      Drakhor
      Bronze
      Errr... brain fart? :O Nevermind me... I was just rambling... Full Houses can be beaten! I've seen it! *runs off crying*

[EDIT]: Umm... what are you talking about anyway? I never said anything about a fourth 9! Read my original post! ¬_¬
    • Odieone
      Odieone
      Bronze
      Cannell .. yeah. sorry. he's got you there. He said 8s.

Anyways.. back to me reading.. thanks again
    • fermion314
      fermion314
      Bronze
      And remember one thing, if you had called, the game would have been slightly delayed and the RNG would have produced something completely different :P
    • PatMood
      PatMood
      Bronze
      There was nothing about 4th 9. Why would you fake a qoute? lmao. Yeah, it sucks when you fold the outright winning hand, no questions asked. But it's better to fold the "I gotta call" hand and lose the most chips possible in that situation.
    • arjun2001
      arjun2001
      Bronze
      this might be hard to believe, but I actually missed a King high straight flush.

Holding QKs, get 3 raise-re-raise-re raise all in front of me and I folded. The flop actually gave someone a full house which means I could've got 3 player's chips.

But does that make my fold a bad fold? Of course not, if I am in a similar position again I will fold again with no doubts in my mind, unless I am rich enough :tongue:
    • mudkip
      mudkip
      Bronze
      Originally posted by arjun2001
      unless I am rich enough :tongue:
      You should probably still fold ;)
    • Odieone
      Odieone
      Bronze
      After reading the replies from this post, i decided to head back to basics. for me, even if I knew I was doing the right thing, sometimes I get caught looking and wondering and I knew eventually I would bite and lose.

So i needed confirmation. Also at the time, I was in the middle of a 150 BB downswing and I wanted to find out where my weaknesses was.

Thanks to Cornholio and all the threads including this one.

I was able to fold hand after hand and actually came up on the positive side for a change.

so a huge thanks to you guys. :D
    • c4ught
      c4ught
      Bronze
      Think this is a pretty good topic and maybe could be mentioned in the beginners article?

Its amazing how often you notice that the trash you have thrown away hits 2 pair on the flop etc...
      I have always wondered is this because i just dont notice when i miss only when i hit? I dont have a problem with this anymore not even sure if i used to.

Have you started playing more tables yet OP?
    • mudkip
      mudkip
      Bronze
      Originally posted by c4ught
      Its amazing how often you notice that the trash you have thrown away hits 2 pair on the flop etc...
      I have always wondered is this because i just dont notice when i miss only when i hit?
      The answer is essentially yes.
    • Odieone
      Odieone
      Bronze
      When I started this thread, I was in a downswing but as of this morning, I have all but erased my losses without even noticing.

I find that I am enjoying my game so much now. Even though I am playing uber micro limits at the moment. I am never ever bored. I am figuring my odds, looking at past hands, looking for mistakes that I made and things I did right. I even started looking at how others play and if they made the right choices. Not that I tell them about it. :P

I am trying to decide if I should go up in limits (if my BRM allows me to of course) or play more tables. I tried playing two but i find that I wasnt enjoy it as much as I was playing one. The fact that I was winning didnt even help me to enjoy it. Weird huh?

Just to give you guys an update:

Last night I was playing this incredible table..

I actually threw away 3 consecutive trips. its burned into my mind only because I was laughing about it. The old player in me would have gone nuts.

The situation was I was holding small pairs; 2s, 4s and 7s. But I wasn't in a position to do anything but fold. Then the third card came on the flop. The amazing thing about this table was it was defying the odds. two hands later, I was on BB holding onto pocket 7s again. this time because there were calls, I could only check. I hit trips on the flop and four of kind on the turn.

But wait there is more, the next hand, the player next to me, did the same thing four of kind 4s. haaha. man that was soo much fun.
    • Hawat
      Hawat
      Bronze
      About the original hand. What if UTG+2 holds AK/AQ and a K/Q appears on the board? It would have cost you a lot.

lol @ fermion
    • Odieone
      Odieone
      Bronze
      Yeah good point.. I guess I was suffering from what most do. People always see what they want to see.

I am glad I asked this question when I did.. It seems my vision seems to go thru a upgrading trend. :D

I went from seeing a lot of triples, straights, flushes and now for some weird reason I seem to "see" a lot of full houses and quads. Now I see the upside more though of playing smart and dealing with a whole mess of new issues post flop. Like getting steamed that some players were stealing blinds playing crazy then watching as their keep cashing in after busting out over and over again.

The game is a foot. Back to studies and more and more questions..