[NL2-NL10] NL10: 99 OOP against reg 3barrel

Bronze
      IPoker, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $10 (100 bb)
      BTN: $2.23 (22.3 bb)
      Hero (SB): $10.73 (107.3 bb)
      BB: $11.10 (111 bb)
      MP: $15.02 (150.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9 9
      MP folds, CO raises to $0.30, BTN folds, Hero calls $0.25, BB folds

Flop: ($0.70) 6 7 6 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.65, Hero calls $0.65

Turn: ($2) J (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $1.15, Hero calls $1.15

River: ($4.30) 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $2.45, Hero folds

Results: $4.30 pot ($0.28 rake)
      Final Board: 6 7 6 J 2
      CO mucked and won $4.02 ($1.92 net)
      Hero mucked 9 9 and lost (-$2.10 net)

Opponent's stats:
      VP/PFR/AF/StealfromCO/WTSD/hands
      25/23/5.7/20/22/289
      playing at 3-6 tables

No special reads on the opponent as of yet.

The problem here in this hand for me lies in the fact that for a reason unknown to me I have heard from reliable sources here on PS.com every now and then that in situations like this one should not call the turn if he is not willing to call the river. This is a statement that I do not agree with completely but I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

The reason I folded on the river was that even he has quite a high AF, I have no other reason to believe that he would 3-barrel with a hand that I beat on this particular board (what can he expect to represent on such a turn and a river if he is to consider bluffing in that spot?)

Would you say that a fold on the turn if I have no intention to call the river is the correct play?
  • 6 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

If I am Calling the turn then definitely calling also the river, such an opponent has a lot of bluffs in his range there. :) And most likely I would have done that as well. Or either just Check/Fold the turn, although doesn't make sense even against such an opponent if he is CBetting so often. Would be also nice to see CB stats.

Long time no see, took a break from poker and as I see you moved to NL10. :D

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      such an opponent has a lot of bluffs in his range there.

1. When profiling this opponent as someone who has got a lot of bluffs in his range do you make this assumption based on his AF + wide CO steal range stats?

2. In general, why is it such a popular belief that in spots like this it is not good to call the turn without the intention of calling the river? Is the average reg on NL10 really so prone to 3-barrel bluff on such boards e.i. dry boards that he cannot represent much on? My hand should be rather readable to him in a sense that it is a medium-made hand that I am playing for pot control/bluff induce. Would he really give himself such high FE?

Indeed quite some time has passed since my last posted hand here. I chose to follow your advice and work on my theory by reading articles, starting some discussions in the strategy forum section. If you just knew how my game has improved! Basically thanks to you. Yeah, I also expect to be less a pain in the ass here in the hand evaluations section thanks to that new knowledge, so expect to see a much better corporation in future! Thank you a lot!

It should also be just a matter of time when I reach NL25 and, quite likely, NL50 as well. If my own assessment of my play is correct, of course!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      1. When profiling this opponent as someone who has got a lot of bluffs in his range do you make this assumption based on his AF + wide CO steal range stats?

AF mainly, CO stealing range ain't that wide. And of course doesn't make sense to Check/Call the turn and then fold on blank river.

2. In general, why is it such a popular belief that in spots like this it is not good to call the turn without the intention of calling the river? Is the average reg on NL10 really so prone to 3-barrel bluff on such boards e.i. dry boards that he cannot represent much on? My hand should be rather readable to him in a sense that it is a medium-made hand that I am playing for pot control/bluff induce. Would he really give himself such high FE?

Because you will be exploitable by playing this way and as you see he was capable of 3barreling there. :) Good card for him to do also and represent the Jx. He doesn't even have to win so often there with his bet sizing, was perfect play from him and in long run you going to lose a lot money with such play.

It should also be just a matter of time when I reach NL25 and, quite likely, NL50 as well. If my own assessment of my play is correct, of course!

Have to put volume into the play. :)
      Bronze
      Because you will be exploitable by playing this way and as you see he was capable of 3barreling there. Good card for him to do also and represent the Jx.

The fact that he 3-barreled does not say too much about his range as we did not see his cards, imo. Is a blank 2 really a good card for him to bluff on? The dryness of the card was that which prevented me from calling in the first place because really, all that he can represent is a J or overcards. Do you think I am overestimating my opponent in the sense that I assume that he would know that bluffing there should not be the best idea given the board?

As much as I can be convinced that in this particular spot I probably should have found a call, I still don't think that there can be a set rule in poker like "if you call the turn you have to call the river as well". It seems absurd. There can easily be opponents with very low river AF, opponents who 2-barrel a lot but usually switch off on the river, the community cards are also of great importance. There are probably even many more other factors that could speak for a call on the turn but a fold on the river. I thought that it is common knowledge that poker is not about set rules e.i. -> do this and that.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      His CO range is most likely wide & this board doesn't make really sense at all for him to hit hardly! So ------EV play to Check/Call turn & Fold river.
      Bronze
      Ok, thanks a lot!