The Big Stack Strategy (Summary)

• jetocumen
      jetocumen
      Bronze
      I have been playing for a while and realized that I was not implementing the strategy articles well. Sometimes I forget important points and worry that I might be missing out or misinterpreting the articles.

So anyone who would like to help is welcome to post your comment on the summary or stress important things that has helped you improve your game. If you are starting out as well the summary may make your readings easier, (but I still suggest you still read the whole article). I'm starting with the Big Stack Strategy and hope to do this as consistently as possible.

WHAT IS THE BIG STACK STRATEGY?

25 BUY IN BANKROLL MANAGEMENT

• Play a limit if you have 25 buy ins or more
      • Join a table with 100 BB (Full Stack)
      • Move up a limit when you have at least 25 buy ins
      • Move down a limit when you have less 25 buy ins

MAKING PROFit

You gain if your opponent makes a mistake and the opponent gains if you make a mistake. Make as few mistakes as possible and maximize profits from opponents mistakes. Study what mistakes other people typically make.

Common Mistakes

• Playing passively
      • Difficulty folding
      • Bluffing too much, inflating pots with bluffs and bluffing at the wrong time
      • Not factoring position
      • No bankroll management

How to Profit

• Play agressive
      • fold if the situation is unprofitable
      • bluff at the right time. Don't bluff in big pots and with a lot of opponents.
      • Adapt game relative to your table position.
      • Practice good bankroll management

THE TIGHT AGGRESSIVE STRATEGY

Perfect for mistakes in low to mid limits!

• Play tight - few hands are selected for play.
      • Play agressive - bets and raises often - has initiative.
      • In position - last to act.

Tight

• Select hands (follow the starting hand chart)
      • Know when you are beat
      • Know when the price is too high

Aggressive

• Mistakes are made when people are forced to make important decisions under pressure.
      • Force opponents to make decisions and make mistakes.
      • Avoid making decisions under preassure.
      • Avoid cold callling

Position

• Position is everything!
      • Be the last to act
      • Information is a valuable commodity

That's it for my first summary. If you have tips, advice, experiences you want to share or comments about the topic please post on this thread. Let's learn together!
  • 6 replies
    • katrin0303
      katrin0303
      Bronze
      Hi!

Your post looks very organized and methodical!

I just have one question. When would you recommend cold calling? I believe we have some exceptions to the rule. So what are your's?

Thx for response!
    • jetocumen
      jetocumen
      Bronze
      Originally posted by katrin0303
      Hi!

Your post looks very organized and methodical!

I just have one question. When would you recommend cold calling? I believe we have some exceptions to the rule. So what are your's?

Thx for response!
      I'm not very familiar with cold calling rules but when some one raised and another person re-raised I would cold call with AA, and KK. With AK I would think twice before cold calling if the re-raiser is a tight player I would probably fold, same with a loose original raiser I would fold too since I would have 2 opponents on the flop and I have no initiative.

If both players are loose and I am in the CO or BU I would probably call with AK, QQ or JJ. I would fold on the SB and BB.
    • cpers
      cpers
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jetocumen
      I'm not very familiar with cold calling rules but when some one raised and another person re-raised I would cold call with AA, and KK. With AK I would think twice before cold calling if the re-raiser is a tight player I would probably fold, same with a loose original raiser I would fold too since I would have 2 opponents on the flop and I have no initiative.

If both players are loose and I am in the CO or BU I would probably call with AK, QQ or JJ. I would fold on the SB and BB.
      Why are you cold calling if someone make a 3bet when you have KK+? 4bet them and try to go broke. Unless you play on higher limit, you probably gonna lose money if you play like this.
    • MancaMulas
      MancaMulas
      Bronze
      very nice!

I would enphasize: Position is everything.
    • doctorkgb
      doctorkgb
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cpers

Why are you cold calling if someone make a 3bet when you have KK+? 4bet them and try to go broke. Unless you play on higher limit, you probably gonna lose money if you play like this.
      If bad player opens, reg iso-raise it is sometimes ok to call with nuts to keep fish in.
    • cpers
      cpers
      Bronze
      Originally posted by doctorkgb
      Originally posted by cpers

If bad player opens, reg iso-raise it is sometimes ok to call with nuts to keep fish in.
      Oh, okay. I'll keep this in mind. Can I still do this profitably on NL2? Don't see many reg.