FearedBeing

• FearedBeing
      FearedBeing
      Bronze
      Hey!

I'd like to join this NL Beginners' course! I've been playing on and off for the last two years or so with PokerStrategy's 50$ starting capital. In this time, I tried SnG, Limit Hold'em, Pot Limit Omaha, some 2-7 single/triple draw, but I finally got hooked on 5 card draw, beating the 0,10/0,20 limit and now playing in 0,25/0,50.

Recently, lots of my friends also started playing poker online, playing almost exlusively NLHE. That's why I'm getting interested in Hold'em right now, and also to take some breaks from regs at the 5CD tables.

While this course focuses on NL cash games, I'll also be playing some SnGs as those were pretty fun and I used to do good in them. But I'll make sure to play enough cash games to put in practice my learnings!

Before I began this course, I played some hands to put myself in the mood, and here's the result:

This is all at NL2, of course. From this small sample size, I really feel like I have a lot to learn, as right now my playing has mostly been "Wait for a good hand, c-bet the flop if I'm the agressor (I c-betted 22/24 opportunities..), hope I improve or the villain fold".

Thanks in advance to the coaches for making this course, and for taking your time to read and analyse my answers and problems!
  • 5 replies
    • FearedBeing
      FearedBeing
      Bronze
      Lesson #1!

Articles

I've only skimmed through the articles since I'm not new to Poker nor PokerStrategy. I really liked "Putting theory into practice", as I haven't done much theory while playing 5CD. I know there is alot more theory available on Hold'em, so there's no reason for me to not take some time for it.

Video

I listened to the first part of the video (until the presentation of the site, which I already knew about). Makes a good reminder of why it is important to have a good BRM and to think long-term rather than short-term.

Live coaching

I've listened to the podcast while having some tables opened myself.. I probably won't do that again since I was more focused on my tables rather than the coaching..

Homework

Q1) I'm playing poker first and foremost for fun. Sure, I'd like to make some money playing poker (who doesn't???), but I don't know how much time it'll take until I play limits that are worthwhile in terms of making money or if I'll ever get there at all.. So I'd rather not worry too much about money.

Also, I'm playing poker so I can play with my friends, and not actually getting crushed (because they're better than me right now, and losing ain't fun, right?).

Q2) My biggest weakness at the tables is that I don't think much while playing. Unless I sit at a single table and make an effort, I have a hard time classifiing my opponents into categories (tight/loose, passive/agressive). While I'm playing a hand, I don't really have a plan to go through all the hand. I'm thinking about the decisions as they come during the hand. Also, I'm not thinking about possible villain hands while playing, I'm just thinking "Fold, Call or Raise??".

Q3) To play Tight Agressive means playing mostly in hands where I have a high probability of being ahead and where decisions are rather simple to make, while dodging the more marginal situations and the difficult decisions. Being Tight Agressive also means that a player carefully selects his starting hands so that he has generally stronger hands, while putting pressure on his opponent so that he's the one having to make the tough decisions.
    • FearedBeing
      FearedBeing
      Bronze
      I thought it would be nice to get a headstart on lesson 2, so I started reading the related articles.

Articles

How to play before the flop: I printed the Starting Hands Chart, and I mostly agree with it. One thing I found missing however is multi-way hands adjustment. Even though the aim of an agressive pre-flop play is to get in a one-on-one situation at the flop, many hands go multi-way anyway since many players call too often. In these kind of pots, I like to play hands like suited connectors, suited one-gappers and suited Aces, since they can all draw to a straight or a flush, which is the kind of hand I want in multi-way play. I'll play them if there's been a raise and at least a caller (in which case the chart would normally say to fold that hand).

Mathematics of Poker: Odds and Outs: I was already paying attention the odds I was getting and giving while playing, so this was mostly a recap for me. One thing I had forgetten however was to discount odds in certain situations (so I was always giving myself 8 outs to a straight when I really had 6 for example). I'll pay even more attention to my outs now..

Crushing NL50: I loved this article! It shows us clear, simple examples where some basic analysis of the situation can make us choose an action over another. That's really the kind of article I was looking for! I'll make sure to re-read this for a while before playing and try to start applying this to my game.

The 8 player types - How to get their money: Nice basic introduction to how to classify your reads. I think I was already doing this sometimes when some hand gets my attention (because of a weird play, or just someone being very very agressive).

[B]Questions[/B]

1) When sitting at new table, which opponents are best to start getting reads on first? Personally, I tend to look at the two players to my left (since they'll be in the blinds when I'm on the button)

2) When sitting at new table, is it best to assume all players are good standard players until they show otherwise? I think yes, but I was wondering if it was different at the lower limits...

3) When playing BSS, how much should we buy-in for? I'm currently buying-in for 100bb, but the max buy-in is 250bb..
    • FearedBeing
      FearedBeing
      Bronze
      Small update on my play up to date:

My biggest trouble have been all-ins.. Most of the time I went all-in, I was behind. I might be calling all-ins too loose both pre and post-flop..

Also, is most of the money won in NL cash games (with the BSS) supposed to come from all-ins or small/medium pots??

For the next few sessions, I'll try to play only a single table, and focus more on my reading skills (trying to identify player types and spots where deviation from the SHC is +ev, as shown in Crushing NL50 article).
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Watching a podcast while tables are open is actually really bad, you don't concentrate enough and most likely are losing at some point more money because of that. :( Try rather to start playing poker and just to concentrate the only one thing which you came to do there, play poker.

Also, I'm playing poker so I can play with my friends, and not actually getting crushed (because they're better than me right now, and losing ain't fun, right?).

Well, yeah. That definitely will work out if you become better, you will crush them. :D Especially if they don't play that high limits.

Lack of concentration is a common leak for beginners. They just play with music, watching TV, reading forums. But those kind of distractions really will just make you loose more money. Ain't ya there for win money? :) So act like that and force yourself always close all kind of distractions and try to stay concentrated on the tables. Everyone will find their own way how they are able to concentrate more.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      1) When sitting at new table, which opponents are best to start getting reads on first? Personally, I tend to look at the two players to my left (since they'll be in the blinds when I'm on the button)

Most likely the opponents who are the most active on the table. :) And of course who are near you. With very tight opponents we just will know that he plays just very few hands. :)

2) When sitting at new table, is it best to assume all players are good standard players until they show otherwise? I think yes, but I was wondering if it was different at the lower limits...

If you sit on new table then assuming that everyone is unknown and treat them as that. Which means rather not going broke very loose, trying to get some more information.

3) When playing BSS, how much should we buy-in for? I'm currently buying-in for 100bb, but the max buy-in is 250bb..

100bb for the very beginning is good, especially if your bankroll doesn't allow it.

My biggest trouble have been all-ins.. Most of the time I went all-in, I was behind. I might be calling all-ins too loose both pre and post-flop..

Try maybe posting more hands and lets see what we could change in your game. :)

Also, is most of the money won in NL cash games (with the BSS) supposed to come from all-ins or small/medium pots??

Not really, you can win money from non-showdown winnings, you can win money from stealing the pots, there are different ways to win the money and not only from going all-in.