zbigiam

• zbigiam
      zbigiam
      Bronze
      Hi everyone,
      I'm starting to write here to get my course started.
      I'm writting just to say hello and to start the whole process of my education and to raise my poker skills to a higher level.
      I'll post my homework here in the near future.
      Wish me luck;) ZbigIam.
  • 7 replies
    • zbigiam
      zbigiam
      Bronze
      homework#1

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

My best motivation for playing poker is earning money;)
      I think that poker could improve my life. Money from poker can give me better life standard and also can improve my poker skills (participating in personal coachings). In poker besides making money I like to compete with somebody, to beat other players using my skills. Good poker also gives me lots of fun.
      So to sum all the things up I'd like to play better poker to give myself all the things that I can't efford playing as I play now. I expect the beginners' course to be the first step of my proper education.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I started to play poker about a year and a half ago and I think that I am still a begginer and I can't play good poker. I would like to change it.
      I play nl4 fr and when I sit at the pokertable with other players I think that I am better than they are. I'm able to win some $ but after some time I can lose all the money I won and even more. In such situations I simply play when I'm tired of the game. And this is probably my main leak. The second stupid thing that I do is that I can't fold some hands. For example it's hard for me to fold a top pair even if I know I might be beaten. I just can't fold in some situations.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Tight aggressive is the most profitable style while playing microstakes. So it's the most profitable style for me. It means that a player playing this style plays just a few hands but the hands he plays usually beat the range of hands that other players play. Agressive play is important to get from good hands as much value as it's possible. Tight agressive player is also hard to beat because of the strength of the hands he plays.
    • zbigiam
      zbigiam
      Bronze
      Nobody aswers my post (probably because of lack of time) so I'm posting second homework.

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

There are some hands that (for maximize ev) should be played differently than it is suggested in SHC. E.g. QQ, KK, AA are in the chart in the same category and I don’t think that I should play queens in the same way I play aces and kings. In my opinion stacking off with AA and KK preflop is a normal thing but e.g. in situation where sb 3bet us, stack off with QQ against unknown opponent is rather -ev. The same thing is with TT and JJ. JJ is better hand than TT and should be played a bit differently. I also thing that besides having different hands in the same category SHC has another negative aspect. I think that SHC tells us to fold to often. In some situation, e.g. when one of the players in the early position minbets and the rest calls, it is rather +ev for us to call with a little worse hand that SHC tells us to call. SHC is just a help for us and we should not forget to use our brains when playing poker and we should act more wisely rather than act like bots.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      FR nl4 K9s
      FR nl4 AA
      nl4 AKo

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 53.68% 45.27% 8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
      BU 46.32% 37.92% 8.41% { AdKh }
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

I don’t think that I should play queens in the same way I play aces and kings.

Totally agree about QQ cause at the best we are flipping anyways against AK if the opponent is rather tight, we can also play that kind of hand even passively and against tight UTG range for example just flat. :)

I think that SHC tells us to fold to often.

The main reason is because it tries to avoid complicated situations and those what are too difficult for beginners. It teaches you basic steps and later on you will understand yourself when you are ready to open up your preflop & postflop play. :)

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • zbigiam
      zbigiam
      Bronze
      What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example: Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Well I haven't adjusted myseld against tilt. This may be my another problem. I have never made a BI line which I shouldn't cross. Thanks for your advice, I will try to keep this in my mind when I'll be playing.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session).

I started to post my hands ( in the Polish section(I'm Pole)) an for no reason I stopped. I know I should post my hands but it's a hard thing for me to convince myself that it would be a good thing for me. I prefer practical things in poker-playing rather than learning -theoretical part. I know It's not a good thing. I'll try to convince myself that I'll be better player when I'll be learning. I'll try to post more hands and to learn more. Successes of other players participating in this course motivate me to do this. I think I' motivated enough to change things in my play.
    • zbigiam
      zbigiam
      Bronze
      I've just read the article about patterns in poker. It's a very good article.
      I think I became a average player because I learned bad patterns in the past.
      The reason why I played bad was caused by my bad thinking. The mindset articles are very important for a players who start the adventure with poker.
      I haven't been awared of this.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      All the articles are actually good, they contain some secret in them which you can use in poker to make more profit. And about posting well, you practically just have to click few buttons in your tracker and will be able to post easily. Session overview is a must!