[NL2-NL10] JJ lay down RIGHT or Wrong

• punta
      punta
      Bronze
      Absolute Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) Absolute-Poker Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

UTG ($9.98)
      UTG+1 ($12.34)
      Hero ($4)
      MP2 ($6.80)
      MP3 ($8.98)
      CO ($5.54)
      Button ($4.13)
      SB ($4.80)
      BB ($2.40)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J, J.
      UTG calls $0.10, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.5, MP2 raises to $1.7, 4 folds, BB raises to $2.4, UTG folds, Hero folds, MP2 calls $0.70.

Flop: ($5.45) J, 7, 2 (2 players)

Turn: ($5.45) T (2 players)

River: ($5.45) 9 (2 players)

Final Pot: $5.45

They had AA and AK by the way - I would of won the hand :(
  • 6 replies
    • gemgem69
      gemgem69
      Bronze
      Good fold
    • anstaendig
      anstaendig
      Bronze
      easy fold cuz you're sitting 40BB deep. With this stacksize you just play AA,KK perhaps QQ and leave the table :>
    • daeh01005
      daeh01005
      Silver
      BU showed you I had AA or KK.
      Good fold.
    • theloniousbones
      theloniousbones
      Bronze
      Sucks when you see something like that happen, but folding in that situation will save you hundreds in the long run.

NH.
    • bkbart
      bkbart
      Bronze
      I just had a similar situation in a tourney with JJ..... I shoved and the others ended up having KK QQ and 99. Blinds were still small and it was obvious that atleast one of them had AK or better so looking back I should have folded too.
    • theloniousbones
      theloniousbones
      Bronze
      It helps in those situations to remember one of the golden rules of poker:

Big Hands = Big Pots
      Small Hands = Small Pots

JJ is a good starting hand, but becomes a small hand once you've been re-raised, and if another person either calls the r/r or raises again, your Jacks are a very small hand, and should be folded. Learning to read those situations is a big step in moving up and becoming a profitable poker player.

The situation changes in later stages of tournaments, or in a cash game if you happen to have a good read on your opponent. eg, if your 4-handed in a 9 player SNG and you have a 25+BB stack in position and you're faced with a push from a shortie (ie 12BBs or less), then a call or isolation push is +EV generally.

The main point is to become familiar with decent hands that can quickly become marginal hands and not get too attached. My advice is to re-read the articles on SSS and BSS starting hand charts. They're there for a reason and the more familiar you become the better you can read those situations in the future.

Good luck at the tables!