experiments in fishing

• gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      I don't recommend this, it's only an experiment to learn a lot and hopefully not lose too much in the process.

from what I've read on game theory, the TAGs and LAGs beat the fishes and maniacs. Between TAGs and LAGs (all else being equal) LAGs are said to have a slight advantage.

there are a lot of players with poor postflop skills in the micros playing a lot of hands.

playing a TAG style at the micros means folding away a lot of equity preflop while poor players get most of the action.

inexperienced TAGs (and others) at micros often make the mistake of trying to bet or bluff the fish and LAGs at the wrong time.

TAGs are often reticent to value bet or bluff shove on the river to fish and LAGs, they rarely call the shove from the fish.

I wondered what would it be like to play an extreme loose style preflop and a loose passive (but explosive) approach postflop, taking superior postflop skills, hand reading, board texture and dynamics into account. be the fish, but play postflop soundly.

what kind of image would I get and what would be the response. How would TAG's react, how would maniacs react.. I needed to find out. Moving down limits to try new things can be a lot of fun.

I planned to play as many hands as possible at NL5 in one sitting. I'd call or raise everything except the worst crap..call down flops and turn bets with any equity and make a big decision on the river. I thought it would be beneficial (and not too expensive) to explore and understand river play a bit more..

I'll update with the stats and some hands if anyone is interested. Just started but now running at 550bb/100hands!! with a 72/30 VP/PFR, flop agg 0 turn agg 0 river agg 9! (I know very small sample but I'm already astonished with the difference in the game play and potential profitability) Knowing your opponent can't call your river shove (whether it's for value or bluff) because their hand is so weak.. and they've seen you shove the nuts on them already. It's really strange and fun to experiment with. I usually don't have the balls to do this kind of thing at higher stakes or live.. moving down is the nuts!

Just now my AA won after KQo in the BB called my 4bet all in.. putting people on tilt is strangely satisfying!

I hope this doesn't screw with my real game and just get a feel for when and how much to bet on the river vs different opponents in different situations!

p.s. I got this idea after reading about the ultimate bet scandal, and checking out some hand histories... I had to see why having a zero flop and turn aggression and high river aggression was a most profitable way to play if you know every hand your opponent has. Of course we don't know their hand but have a good idea of the range, I wondere would the same strategy yield positive results at the lowest limits, where you have the most advantage?
  • 24 replies
    • ukspike
      ukspike
      Bronze
      You didn't say how many hands you had actually played :P just that it wasn't many.
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      Just started now, I've played one table for an hour like this and it's very different than what I'm used to.. I'm noticing some tactics used on me by these players and now see what it takes for a fish to shove on the river.. I'm starting to think that we almost always have it won when we do.

I'll keep you posted, I don't have any expectations except to learn something
    • slipkn6t
      slipkn6t
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gavinonymous
      TAGs and LAGs beat the fishes and maniacs. Between TAGs and LAGs (all else being equal) LAGs are said to have a slight advantage.
      There is an opinion that in terms of $ per hour TAGs show somewhat same amount of winrate (or even more than a LAG) with less tough spots. Let's look at an example:
      TAG plays 18/15 and has a winrate of 3bb/100
      LAG plays 27/23 and has a winrate of 4bb/100
      Yes, sure LAG has higher winrate, but it costs him 50% more hands. And those 50% bonus LAG hands are not as easy to play as TAG's 18% hands. Those bonus 50% are marginal hands and they cost more time because of using popups, taking timebanks, etc. And that's why a LAG cannot play as many tables as a TAG can.
      If you are restricted to only 1 table, then sure, you want to play as many profitable hands/spots as possible to have as much $ per hour as possible.
      PS: I'm not good at explaining such things, those are thoughts from Dusty Schmidt's books: "Don't Listen to Phil Helmuth", "Treat Your Poker Like a Business".
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Apart from the sample size, your stats of 72/30 are more maniac than LAG I reckon.

Still, and interesting experiment, and at micros, your river insanity is definitely giving you profits.
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      At the lowest limits on 6max there are so many bad players that even playing almost every hand doesn't seem so maniac. I can find myself calling pf with the best hand in position when I have Q7o, as there are plenty of other maniacs playing every hand.

I was reading how balancing ranges isn't really important at the micros. I also want to experiment with this, changing my bet size according to position and hand strength, instead of balancing.

I also wondered if by being completely unbalanced that players might even level themselves. i know I do sometimes.

I'll play another session like this soon.. the hand history session would make one of the funniest reviews ever. If anything it's very fun! .. back to the real grind for now.
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      Played another couple hundred hands at NL5 and things were going well enough to move to NL10, and make a few adjustments for the higher limit.

There are NL10 grinder regs and some aren't so bad. Robotic and predictable. There are still plenty of aggros and stations to be had.

For NL10 I tried to keep the LAG style, but tighten up my range considerably. No more offsuit non-connected crap cards, unless it's a blind stealing situation.

I 3bet almost any opportunity that makes sense, and 4bet when players started to play back. I find that I'm getting paid off a lot lighter, also a nice change. Having your AA 3bet from BB is a satisfying result of being a little maniacal.

I played 2 hours as a LAGgy fish on stars using a HUD only for reads, and 6 tabling this time.

just under 1000 hand sample, and damn unlucky. I had the money in real good a lot. As it was I ended up 20bb/100, EV more like 60bb/100...

Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players

BTN: $4.85 (48.5 bb)
      SB: $11.34 (113.4 bb)
      BB: $38.50 (385 bb)
      MP: $10 (100 bb)
      Hero (CO): $10.73 (107.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7 T
      MP folds, Hero raises to $0.30, 2 folds, BB raises to $0.90, Hero calls $0.60

had some history and in position. i'm gambling he pays off if I hit, his 3bet range is not so wide, even from blinds.

Flop: ($1.85) 7 5 6 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.30, BB calls $1.30

I can bet for value against AK, AQ and take down the dead money after he checks. he calls so has something, which is really sweet when I hit the turn hard..

Turn: ($4.45) 7 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $2.90, BB raises to $21, Hero calls $5.63 and is all-in

I'm pretty sure the shove is due to my image over previous hands, I've been playing like a maniac, but what is he thinking? he has an overpair and what exactly is he going to make fold? only better hands will call him and worse hands will fold. his check raise should have been a check call or bet fold?

River: ($21.51) 9 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $21.51 pot ($0.97 rake)
      Final Board: 7 5 6 7 9
      BB showed Q Q and lost (-$10.73 net)
      Hero showed 7 T and won $20.54 ($9.81 net)

Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $9.33 (93.3 bb)
      BB: $10 (100 bb)
      UTG: $17.66 (176.6 bb)
      Hero (CO): $10.10 (101 bb)
      BTN: $10.86 (108.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J:spade: J:club:
      UTG folds, MP raises to $0.40, Hero raises to $1.20, 3 folds, MP calls $0.80

I'm starting to get played back at a lot and need to make adjustments. I can isolate with JJ and get called light, instead of them folding, my 3betting is so incessant. Another outcome could be getting JJ in against lower pairs or worse hands that 4bet me.

Flop: ($2.55) 7:spade: T:spade: K:heart: (2 players)
      MP bets $0.70, Hero calls $0.70

I can't make a K fold, and I don't think I'll make a combo draw fold so I just call.

Turn: ($3.95) 5:heart: (2 players)
      MP bets $2.10, Hero calls $2.10

This changes nothing, I still have equity but a raise seems spewy, turning my hand into a bluff.

River: ($8.15) T:club: (2 players)
      MP bets $6 and is all-in, Hero calls $6

I don't believe him. 3 barrels -- why wouldn't he let me spew my chips at him as preflop aggressor if he had a good hand. closed my eyes and called (I felt myself to be 60/40 ahead)

Results: $20.15 pot ($0.91 rake)
      Final Board: 7:spade: T:spade: K:heart: 5:heart: T:club:
      MP showed Q:diamond: J:heart: and lost (-$10 net)
      Hero showed J:spade: J:club: and won $19.24 ($9.24 net)

The best thing about the session was that I was able to participate in many more hands, along with playing 6 tables and while sooo unlucky, I still made a profit and learned something. Must start thinking about adjustments for NL25. I figure the same thing but tighten up the range a little more, and pay more attention to table/seat selection.

thanks for the comments.
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      update end of day.. played one more session.. swingy, and my luck isn't improving... even had AK vs AK on 2 tables at once!

• gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      Still playing looser than usual and getting results. My NL10 sample size is becoming significant and 20-40bb/100 is better than my tight game. Of course I'm getting played back at and have to practice adjusting (4betting pf and 3betting some flops helps)

here's my graph - only 4 sessions but happy with volume and concentration at 6 tables.
      Finally catching up to EV line

I'll post some of the crazy spew thrown at me later.. . I'm impressed how many players are betting the river with air. even 3 barreling with draws..
    • verneer
      verneer
      Bronze
      Interesting. How many hands are you planning to play?
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      How would you play every hand if you could see all the hole cards? This experiiment came to me as a result of reading about the ultimate bet hole card superuser scanadal. I read some hand histories and had an idea to try and replicate the style for some knowledge and experience at a low cost.

The fundamental theorem of poker indicates that every time you deviate from playing as if you could see all hole cards, you are making a mistake. Of course we can't see the cards, but we can with carefull observation and induction arrive at a range, or set of ranges - this is better than nothing.

The LAGtard experiment has allowed me to gain a lot of experience playing out hands against bad players and as a loose/bad player.

I've gained a lot of insight on the way fish play hands, and especially gained some insight into the river play.

Instead of keeping on with the LAG I plan to slowly incorporate some of my new experience into my play.

My ideal game is a chameleon style where I adapt to the situation and player tendencies involved. This means LAGing some TAGs and TAGging some Fish, and Fishing some Maniacs.. it's not complete without a good idea of how to LAG.

I'm also gaining experience and confidence with 4betting preflop (for bluff and value) but my most improved part of the game from this exercise is the river. I used to check back a lot on the river after firing 2 barrels even seeing that the fish dildn't make his hand.. and find he had beat me with a small pair. Now a 3/4 pot size bet gets a fold almost every time. I'm also more prone to bluff raise the river if I see my range could have made a better hand than yours. So far so good, but use sparingly on the micros for at least semi-thkining non-levelling players. People call too often rather than fold too often.

I've played 10k hands now at NL10 as a LAG and during that time my stats have gone from 70/30 to more like 32/24 and depending on the time of day and table - playing 25/20 seems at my tightest. I'm not playing as many hands, but I haven't changed my range too much, just giving up some spots that I took every time at first. If I play between 35/25 and 20/15 it seems to be the sweet spot for me.

For now the experiment is coming to a close, having gained confidence and experience. I will go back to visit NL5 from time to time to experiment. I really think moving down is +EV. Playing a ton of hands postflop was a really good exercise for me. I especially wasn't getting enough river play experience to learn much before.

Today I played more normal overall 25/20 and more like a fish..but the tables were so aggro I had to adjust. 4k hands and 6 buyins.. 15bb/100 - swingy but steady. At the right table I'll play 35-40 VPIP, but others I'm more standard style. I get a lot more action when I'm loose. People do pay attention to what you are doing at NL10 and you can create table image that pays off even with the NITs. Getting the grinders and NITs out of their comfort zone can lead them to make some very strange plays...

thanks for reading, hope it's useful.
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      poker is crazy. the fish is pissed I'm playing 30/26 AF1.4 with 24% 3bet and is the reason my stack is so inflated. I used to think a minraise from a fish meant AA. sometimes it does..

SB: $9.90 (99 bb)
      BB: $2.05 (20.5 bb)
      UTG: $5.09 (50.9 bb)
      MP: $10.89 (108.9 bb)
      Hero (CO): $26.23 (262.3 bb)
      BTN: $6.89 (68.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T T
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, BTN raises to $0.50, 2 folds, Hero raises to $1.40, BTN calls $0.90

Easy 4bet expecting to have my 3bets challenged and for value/take it down, and ready to get it all in pf if needed. fish is 65/26 with 20%3bet and 1.4AF - has it been reading my blog?? villain has been brutal postflop so probably not on PS.com

Flop: ($2.95) T 2 4 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $3, Hero raises to $6, BTN calls $2.49

Turn: ($13.93) 7 (2 players)
      River: ($13.93) J (2 players)

Results: $13.93 pot ($0.63 rake)
      Final Board: T 2 4 7 J
      Hero showed T T and won $13.30 ($6.41 net)
      BTN mucked 4 8 and lost (-$6.89 net)

Really? Seriously?

Ok.. here's another. 19/15 AF 5.1, 3bet 5%.. 174hands. He's seen me in action and knows I'm a lagfish :f_biggrin:

SB: $10.65 (106.5 bb)
      BB: $14.13 (141.3 bb)
      UTG: $17.88 (178.8 bb)
      MP: $13.20 (132 bb)
      CO: $8.50 (85 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $10.33 (103.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with K J
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, SB raises to $0.65, BB folds, Hero calls $0.35

Again, minraise means AA right? but it's not a fish, just a disgruntled NIT (Not In That-hand) so I call with position and good post flop playability

Flop: ($1.40) 5 3 3 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.85, Hero calls $0.85

the expected c-bet and with some equity (thanks equilator) backdoor flush and overcards isn't enough for a raise, and no need to spew my equity away. I just call.

Turn: ($3.10) J (2 players)
      SB bets $1.90, Hero calls $1.90

My equity improves. Normally I could raise here, but for some reason I think he won't fold a 1 club hand, and I have bad reverse implied odds? call and evaluate the river.

River: ($6.90) 2 (2 players)
      SB bets $4.30, Hero calls $4.30

total blank and I can't see why he doesn't bet the whole stack. it reeks of spew with a busted draw, or AK..then agian it could be AA. hero call.

Results: $15.50 pot ($0.70 rake)
      Final Board: 5 3 3 J 2
      SB showed T Q and lost (-$7.70 net)
      Hero showed K J and won $14.80 ($7.10 net)

looking at this hand again.. I still can't believe villain min 3bet QTo against me like this. is this a result of my agitating play? I can't find any strategy guide that recommends this.

btw.. I'm still making mistakes. mostly I'm still calling too many shoves, but according to stats I'm ahead so it can't be all bad a lot of them are even bluffs.

Another villain, this time 24/15 AF2 stats.. K6 is sooted. easy first in raise

e.
      CO: $14.76 (147.6 bb)
      BTN: $3.09 (30.9 bb)
      SB: $9.10 (91 bb)
      BB: $16.31 (163.1 bb)
      Hero (MP): $10.80 (108 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K 6
      Hero raises to $0.30, 3 folds, BB calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.65) 8 K K (2 players)
      BB bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30

great, I flop trips. chances that he called with a better king are slim, maybe KQ, KJ might call, AK would raise. I think he'd raise KQ even. I don't think I'll be called by a worse hand if I raise tho..

Turn: ($1.25) 5 (2 players)
      BB bets $15.71, Hero calls $10.20

I don't know why I call the shove. It's obviously a made hand. The overbet is designed to look like spew (I know because I used to do it too much) still I can't fold my trips and now I can't think what else he might shove but 88, KQ, KJ, or maybe AA slow played..of course he could bluff AQ or AJ but it's unlikely to push someone off trips. big mistake on my part.

River: ($21.65) K (2 players)

Results: $21.65 pot ($0.97 rake)
      Final Board: 8 K K 5 K
      BB showed 8 8 and lost (-$10.80 net)
      Hero showed K 6 and won $20.68 ($9.88 net)

And that's payback for all the stupid beats I see when I'm 90% to win all in! got back some EV there (not proud but I'll take it) :f_o:

erg.. almost forgot the graph.. been tightening up a bit lately.. depending on how fishy tables are.

NL10 SH
    • Karl0zzz
      Karl0zzz
      Bronze
      Hey gavinonymous!

Very interesting approach. I will follow this for sure...
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      Originally posted by verneer
      Interesting. How many hands are you planning to play?
      All of them!

...but seriously, I'm going to tone it down gradually and take what I've learned to become a more dangerous and unpredictable player.

I started out very loose and since have become more selective and adaptive. my river play has improved phenomenally - as you can see by the red line. I wasn't value betting, bluffing or raising nearly enough. the pots taken down preflop are also very significant and add up.

thanks for reading, your blog is an inspiration. clear skies and wide vistas.. no more panic and confusion.
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Karl0zzz
      Hey gavinonymous!

Very interesting approach. I will follow this for sure...
      Thanks I agree. I'm learning a lot. Again, I don't recommend this, unless you've got money to burn and time to learn at the lowest stakes.

It's ironic looking at my tagline.. it can be taken another way. if you're at the table with a bunch of TAGs and NITs, and can't find a fish, then why not be that fish?

Happy fishing!
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      Originally posted by slipkn6t
      Originally posted by gavinonymous
      TAGs and LAGs beat the fishes and maniacs. Between TAGs and LAGs (all else being equal) LAGs are said to have a slight advantage.
      There is an opinion that in terms of $ per hour TAGs show somewhat same amount of winrate (or even more than a LAG) with less tough spots. Let's look at an example:
      TAG plays 18/15 and has a winrate of 3bb/100
      LAG plays 27/23 and has a winrate of 4bb/100
      Yes, sure LAG has higher winrate, but it costs him 50% more hands. And those 50% bonus LAG hands are not as easy to play as TAG's 18% hands. Those bonus 50% are marginal hands and they cost more time because of using popups, taking timebanks, etc. And that's why a LAG cannot play as many tables as a TAG can.
      If you are restricted to only 1 table, then sure, you want to play as many profitable hands/spots as possible to have as much $ per hour as possible.
      PS: I'm not good at explaining such things, those are thoughts from Dusty Schmidt's books: "Don't Listen to Phil Helmuth", "Treat Your Poker Like a Business".
      I agree, the pots might be harder but you are involved in so many more. With the contributed rake system my rake is going up while the TAG's rake is going down.

The game theory article I remember said that when the game comes down to LAGs opposing TAGs, that the LAG's have an edge. I was finding a lot of table filled with NITs and TAGs so it made sense to me to try and open up my game also for this reason as well as rake. And it's more fun! Also I can only play about 6 tables, whether TAG or LAG so I'm not limited by that..
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      got tilt? i'm in the right place at the right time as maniac to my right is in a generous mood... makes my day

SB: $19.70 (197 bb)
      BB: $14.18 (141.8 bb)
      Hero (MP): $15.61 (156.1 bb)
      CO: $10 (100 bb)
      BTN: $9.96 (99.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with T K
      Hero raises to $0.30, 3 folds, BB raises to $4, Hero raises to $12.05, BB raises to $14.18 and is all-in, Hero calls $2.13

Flop: ($28.41) 6 7 3 (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      Turn: ($28.41) J (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($28.41) 3 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $28.41 pot ($1.28 rake)
      Final Board: 6 7 3 J 3
      BB showed 8 5 and lost (-$14.18 net)
      Hero showed T K and won $27.13 ($12.95 net)

CO: $19.50 (195 bb)
      BTN: $7.53 (75.3 bb)
      Hero (SB): $28.31 (283.1 bb)
      BB: $10.15 (101.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8 J
      2 folds, BTN raises to $0.40, Hero calls $0.35, BB folds

Flop: ($0.90) J 9 K (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $2.30, Hero raises to $27.91 and is all-in, BTN calls $4.83

Turn: ($15.16) 6 (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($15.16) T (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $15.16 pot ($0.68 rake)
      Final Board: J 9 K 6 T
      BTN mucked A 3 and lost (-$7.53 net)
      Hero showed 8 J and won $14.48 ($6.95 net)

UTG: $19.65 (196.5 bb)
      MP: $6.12 (61.2 bb)
      Hero (CO): $35.26 (352.6 bb)
      BTN: $10 (100 bb)
      SB: $4.90 (49 bb)
      BB: $10 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A T
      UTG folds, MP raises to $6.12 and is all-in, Hero raises to $18.51, 3 folds

Flop: ($12.39) 7 J 9 (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      Turn: ($12.39) A (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($12.39) Q (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $12.39 pot ($0.56 rake)
      Final Board: 7 J 9 A Q
      MP showed 2 4 and lost (-$6.12 net)
      Hero showed A T and won $11.83 ($5.71 net)
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      interesting hand.. not that it was so much, but I didn't know what to do deepstacked. posting so I can get comments and look more myself

Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players

BB: $9.80 (98 bb)
      CO: $5 (50 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $28.60 (286 bb)
      SB: $23.10 (231 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 6 Q
      CO folds, Hero raises to $0.30, SB raises to $1.20, BB calls $1.10, Hero calls $0.90

I'm playing Q6 because it's sooted and I'm on the BU, there's a juicy fish in the BB so when the NIT raises I call for implied odds.. the NIT has a hand good enough to pay and the fish adds more value to calling IMO.

Flop: ($3.60) 2 8 9 (3 players)
      SB bets $3.40, BB folds, Hero raises to $8.25, SB raises to $21.90 and is all-in, Hero calls $13.65

bets near pot, the only hand I'm scared of is A K, and I think if he has an A or K of diamonds he could outflush me.

as soon as I raise, I wish I hadn't because I'm giving away my hand...but the thought doesn't last..

villain 3bets all in which is a mistake. if I'm raised on that board it can only be a bluff or a flush.. did he think I was bluffing that much? I probably gave him good reason to. biggest pot of the week.

Turn: ($47.40) 9 (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($47.40) 8 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $47.40 pot ($1 rake)
      Final Board: 2 8 9 9 8
      BB mucked and lost (-$1.20 net)
      Hero showed 6 Q and won $46.40 ($23.30 net)
      SB showed K K and lost (-$23.10 net)
    • Karl0zzz
      Karl0zzz
      Bronze
      You are the guy who sows the tilt seeds, turn people to maniacs in tables, damage mental health and give a psychiatrist job...
      Nice, keep it up! Would like to see your stats and graph...

Karl0zzz
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Karl0zzz
      You are the guy who sows the tilt seeds, turn people to maniacs in tables, damage mental health and give a psychiatrist job...
      Nice, keep it up! Would like to see your stats and graph...

Karl0zzz
      wow, what a huge compliment ...I think :) but you are right on. It's a real bonus feature of the game. the meta-game. I don't mind losing a few small pots with river bluffs - it's an investment. funny, each session seems to start out a little down and then steadly up, so there's something to it even on NL10.

NL10SH, first 27 hours of play. it gets strangely cyclical towards the end.

Sorry to disappoint anyone with my stats. I had to adjust a lot from NL5. Now there's some tables I'm fairly quiet at, while others are full on 45/35 style. It depends on opportunities, cards, position and players how much I can get away with. More creative than I used to play - Here are the stats.