Favorite Poker Book?

• martiangoblin
      martiangoblin
      Bronze
      Hey guys,
      With the plethora of poker literature out there i was wondering which books are your favorite.

Of course most of them are good and worth reading, but a few definitely stand out, usually because of the impact they've had on your technical game or the refreshing psychological perspective theyve provided you with at the tables.

I still love Phil Gordons little green book... whenever i get off my A-game, it always brings me back to the basic framework of playing solid poker.

Also worth mentioning are Dusty Schmidts "Treat your poker like a business,"
      Sklansky's "Theory of Poker," "Super System I & II," and "Caros Fundamental Secrets of Winning Poker."

What about you... what book holds a special place on your shelf?
  • 38 replies
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Moving to the Poker Media forum :)

There are also many other threads similar to yours, some are worth a read if you're interested in more books :]
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Hello,

Would the book "Sit n' Go Strategy" by Collin Moshman be applicable to the 18-90 man Sit and Go tournaments at PokerStars?

I wouldn't say I'm a great SnG player, But I have made some decent money from it. I plan on reading all the SnG articles on this site and others to have a better understanding of SnGs.

In case, this book isn't. What book would you recommend? (I don't consider myself a beginner, but also not a expert).

Thanks,

MB
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      read harrington if ur doing MTT
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      I was pretty excited about this book, but shipping and currency conversion was making the total cost a little unpalatable.

Since a few people here already have it can you post a few reviews. I'm particularly interested in what you found to be better about this book compared to other books you've read.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      I just got this book in the post yesterday, have spent most of my day at work reading it :)

From what I have read so far, this book is for poker players like myself that cannot quite beat the micros and small stakes up to about nl100.

I have only read a couple of poker books before, but they were just basic books with the usual type of advice for begginers ie pot odds, charts etc.

This book is not like that as it presumes you have basic knowledge and helps you to move on from that point.

The first main article chapter 2 after the introduction explains about variance and helps you to work out if you are going through a downswing or just playing badly, I found this really helpfull today and did not realise just how many hands we may have to play just to breakeven because of variance swings!!

chapter 3 is about bankroll management and taking shots, this is fairly standard although the taking of shots concept I had never considered before. also there is some interesting concepts for buying in when moving to a higher level.

Chapter 4 is about developing reads and using HUD, this is very interesting and I learned a lot from this today. There are strategies for beating different opponent types and how to spot your edge at the table. Verneer also adds in hand histories to explain the concepts which are very good!

Chapter 5 is about playing solid poker, with dynamic ranges to use against the opponent types you learn about in chapter 4 ( i like this :) )
      I found this really helpfull today

chapter 6 is 3 betting, I have only skimmed this and the rest of the book so far so will have to let you know!!

I have skimmed through the rest of the book and there are chapters on c betting, facing c bets, playing turns and rivers ( I found a big leak of mine here!!)
      Tilt control, praticing at the tables and off them etc.

For a breakeven/losing player at the ssnl like myself, I think its a great book :)

let me know if you have any more questions?

Did you know you can read a sample pdf of the book on verneers website?
      Reading this swayed me into buying it

Roo
    • NoMistakes
      NoMistakes
      Bronze
      Seems to be a good book. I am wondering about buying it.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by roopopper
      Did you know you can read a sample pdf of the book on verneers website?
      Yes, it's just so darn expensive. I could get two and a half months of his videos at that training site for the price it would cost me.

For now I just settled on Dynamic Full Ring Poker. At $10 it is just a far better value right now.
    • deivid2
      deivid2
      Global
      I play SH you think this book is good for SH player?
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      [*]The format of the book is great for learning. If you haven't owned a poker book before and are playing NL25 or lower I think this would be a great first purchase.

[*]As we read we are introduced to variance, Open-raising, Isolating, 3betting, cbetting, facing a cbet, steal situations, turn/river spots, mental game and a starting point for working on our own game.

[*]Something that is better about a book like this over watching a video is that you can go through at your own pace and are much more actively involved in the learning process. How many times have your eyes glossed over while watching and only later have you realised none of what the coach was saying actually went in?

[*]Whilst reading this book I had a chance to think about all the fundamental aspects of poker that you need to have set in stone to make a really good foundation for climbing the limits and developing your game. The advice given makes you think and develop an understanding rather than just providing you with a "you must always 3bet AA" style of teaching.

[*]Everything is clear and concise, Verneer doesn't get bogged down in anything too complicated and there are some excellent points raised in all sections.

[*]There was a lot to cover and whilst it felt like we were almost skimming over some sections of the game I think the balance was pretty much spot on and we did not get too bogged down in any section.

[*]My particular favourite chapter was the one on remaining a student with some basic advice for dissecting your game, and a section of the stealing chapter where Verneer filters his Holdem Manager to differentiate between calling a steal in the blinds and 3betting them.

[*]I leave off by saying I am now hungry for more knowledge and reading this book has helped me to re-affirm the good old basics of my poker game. The price is definitely worth it for someone battling their way up the micro limits. However if you are already extremely familiar with the standard ABC "solid" game and are crushing NL100 this book will likely not surprise you with anything too new.

Oh, and re SH. Almost all of the content is applicable to SH, only the opening ranges in the opening chapter I think are not applicable.

PLUS - ITS SIGNED!!!!!
    • HunterBran
      HunterBran
      Basic
      Phil Gorgons little green book is also my favorite poker book.I love this book so much.This is one of the best book of the poker.
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      favorite poker book?

none
    • verneer
      verneer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DaPhunk
      Oh, and re SH. Almost all of the content is applicable to SH, only the opening ranges in the opening chapter I think are not applicable.[/SIZE][/B]
      Thanks for the review! I will say that if you just take away the first two positions, the rest of the opening ranges should apply to SH poker.
    • michel2311
      michel2311
      Bronze
      Is Harrington also recommended if you play STT?
    • Maloco87
      Maloco87
      Bronze
      I just went on to Amazon and bought Phil Gordon's little green book and Mike Caro's secrets of winning poker, I already have Doyle Brunson's super system

Im starting to put together a nice collection
    • grindtolive
      grindtolive
      Global
      lord of the rings
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Originally posted by grindtolive
      lord of the rings
      Not sure if serious?

As for my choice.... The Poker Mindset
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Mine is Anthony Holden's 'Holden on Hold'em'. It was the first book I ever read and I learnt sososososo much from it! Read it around 4 times so far :rolleyes:
    • grindtolive
      grindtolive
      Global
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      Originally posted by grindtolive
      lord of the rings
      Not sure if serious?

As for my choice.... The Poker Mindset

You dont like lord of the rings????Oh harry potter's books are also very good
    • Mikus8
      Mikus8
      Silver
      The raiser's edge