Profitable... from when?

• WillyD
      WillyD
      Bronze
      From about how many hands cam I clearly confirm that i'm a winning player?

I've been winning for 40K hands on NL2, NL4 and NL10 but i just wondered with how many hands behind me can i clearly say that i'm a winning player?
  • 10 replies
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey there :)

First off, i've moved your thread to beginners questions hope you don't mind

Secondly 40k hands i think is a nice number to look at to see how you are doing vs the games its not a big enough sample to say you are a solid winning long term player but i guess its enough to start to see where you're at.

Some players like to play anywhere from 50-100k+ hands on each limit before they can comfortably say they are beating it, to be honest i don't think you need to play this many hands per limit at the micros if you have the bankroll just move up to the next limit (as long as you feel comfortable and are ready to move back down if it goes wrong) and get a solid sample of hands when you reach NL25 or NL50. This is how i would do it anyway.

You have any pretty graphs to show us?

Keep up the good work and let us know how you are get on with the next 10/20/30k+ hands too :)

Carl
    • WillyD
      WillyD
      Bronze
      Thx for the super duper answer :)

I don't know how to post my graphs but i'm hitting a bit of badluck lately... i know it won't be forever so i'm not complaining!

If i have the bankroll to move up i won't extend my time in lower limits :)

Thanks again :)
    • Justin37
      Justin37
      Bronze
      when u can easily win a lot of $$$ from that limit continuously for months...
    • ilrasso
      ilrasso
      Bronze
      That really depends how much you are winning. If u play 40k hand and you are up 50bb you would probably be around break even player. If u on the other hand can show a 10bb/100 hands profit over 40k hands i would say you are beating the limit.

Tell us how much u won and we can give a better answer :D
    • WillyD
      WillyD
      Bronze
      Well for NL2 i had 41bb/100 for 6k hands

for NL4 i had 30bb/100 for 9k hands

for NL10 i currently have a mediocre 1bb/100 for 20k hands...

2 options explain this :

1- i finished my heater

2- i started a downswing

But with my absolute objectivity i am pretty much destroying these guys i just had a little bad luck followed by a couple of tilt periods :D

Trying not to make these frustration mistakes again!

I also played a couple of SnG's and have a ROI of 22.3%

Imo i would say i'm clearly a winning player :D
    • ilrasso
      ilrasso
      Bronze
      There might be a significant skill gap between nl2-4 and nl10, which explains your lower winrates.

Consider these 2 points.

At nl10 its actually possible to win significant money, especially for people who live in low income countries nl10 can be played professionally. This is not the case at nl2-4. (i believe) This means you will play against tight multitabling regs in some of the seats. If u dont spot them and adjust you will loose some big pots shoving AJ AQ and mid pairs.

At nl2-4 people often come to tilt/experiment/play drunk etc. because the losses are so small.
    • WillyD
      WillyD
      Bronze
      I agree there's a big skill difference between these limits and i usually try to sit to the left of a super donk deluxe :D

Against fishes i can go all in with JJ+ AQ+ but against regs it's KK or AA and sometimes AK when there's some dynamic running

However last few day's i've been up a couple of stacks so no worry :)
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ilrasso
      At nl10 its actually possible to win significant money, especially for people who live in low income countries nl10 can be played professionally.
      good point.

I'm currently grinding NL10SH and given enough discipline and a solid 10bb/100 plus winrate I think it's possible to play 150-200k hands a month for a solid monthly wage for any country (especially tax free in Canada) At a 30% tax rate you're looking at the equivalent of a 35k/year job with all the freedom.

NL10 has many multitabling regs, but they can;t be very good (or they'd be at NL50-100) also there are plenty of drunk players. or seems so sometimes. I think it's very popular with all types of players.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      I think the skill difference between nl4 and nl10 is very small but noticeable as long as you keep working at your game you shouldn't experience too much difficulty vs the players there.

for 20k hands yes it could just be a bad run, some players go for 50k hands breakeven so keep putting in the volume and studying your leaks after each session to make sure it is just variance :)
    • WillyD
      WillyD
      Bronze
      Yup just watched some motivation vids and i'm ready to grind it for real :D

Maybe it's because NL2 and NL4 were almost the same but i really found a significant difference between those limits and NL10