Is PLO really the game of the future?

    • suaveplayer
      suaveplayer
      Bronze
      Joined: 08.08.2009 Posts: 109
      Is it really the game that will have decent heads up action in the next years?


      I´ve heard a lot from players that made good money from HL HU that now heads up holdem is pretty dead and the action is at PLO.

      If thats the case we HU players are wasting our time if not learning PLO.
  • 24 replies
    • Jehryn
      Jehryn
      Bronze
      Joined: 15.04.2008 Posts: 678
      Well i'm most definately not one of the highstakes players that knows this in practise, but from what I've heared is that NLHE is dryng up in the sense that you have a bunch of regs who dislike playing each other and a rare fish that gets gobbled up in mere mili seconds.

      The advantage of PLO is that it is newer and harder to master then NL, which means there is a larger skill gap between the regs. Also since PLO is extremely variance heavy (when you're AI with 60% EQ you're really happy) fish can win money over a long period time even though they EV wise should be losing money. Which means there are more fish relative to the amount of regs.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      Joined: 02.01.2009 Posts: 1,715
      -EV not to learn it imo. Its what i'm currently doing..
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      Joined: 04.05.2009 Posts: 1,888
      more like the game of now
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Joined: 22.11.2009 Posts: 6,944
      High rake + high variance. Sounds great. :f_thumbsup:
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      Joined: 02.01.2009 Posts: 1,715
      one of the few games where Ive seen people 5betting all in when drawing dead deepstacked though...

      higher skill ceiling as handreading is much more important.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Joined: 21.01.2010 Posts: 1,193
      Originally posted by jbpatzer
      High rake + high variance. Sounds great. :f_thumbsup:
      The rake % and the rake cap is the same as in NL. The only reason you pay more of it is because you play looser and bigger pots on average.
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Joined: 22.11.2009 Posts: 6,944
      Originally posted by MatejM47
      Originally posted by jbpatzer
      High rake + high variance. Sounds great. :f_thumbsup:
      The rake % and the rake cap is the same as in NL. The only reason you pay more of it is because you play looser and bigger pots on average.
      Well, that's OK then. Silly me.
    • mancikaa
      mancikaa
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.01.2010 Posts: 354
      PLO is the game of the present :)

      i think game of future will be high stakes stud, at least here in Vienna in live games PLO is nothing new, but now the real big money is going on the stud tables
    • verneer
      verneer
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.08.2009 Posts: 366
      Originally posted by Targetme
      more like the game of now
      My first thought exactly.
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Joined: 09.07.2010 Posts: 10,511
      PLO is the "trend" game now. Everyone is learning it, and Party Poker Premier League has it in. And as nearly all nosebleeds are PLO, fishes will play it too. At the moment there is huge value in PLO, but eventually same thing will happen there what happened with holdem -> games will get tougher.

      If we look PLO10 now and what it was 2-3 years ago, the difference is HUGE. So in couple of years, it will be harder and harder to make money. And that goes to HU games too. I am pretty sure that at some point PLO HU will be like NL HU today, lots of regs waiting for fishes. The thing is that there will be more fishes in PLO. Two reasons for this:

      - It's a lot harder to understand that you are bad player in omaha. So there will be a lot of players who think they are a lot better what they really are.
      - It's always easy to gamble in PLO.
    • suaveplayer
      suaveplayer
      Bronze
      Joined: 08.08.2009 Posts: 109
      I just hope PLO stays juicy for a few years, so that my efforts become worth it.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      Joined: 02.01.2009 Posts: 1,715
      regulated play in USA will certainly help to extend the life of PLO even more.

      Hopefully that won't take much longer.
    • vmarqui
      vmarqui
      Bronze
      Joined: 25.01.2010 Posts: 4,816
      nah
    • Jehryn
      Jehryn
      Bronze
      Joined: 15.04.2008 Posts: 678
      Originally posted by Kyyberi
      PLO is the "trend" game now. Everyone is learning it, and Party Poker Premier League has it in. And as nearly all nosebleeds are PLO, fishes will play it too. At the moment there is huge value in PLO, but eventually same thing will happen there what happened with holdem -> games will get tougher.

      If we look PLO10 now and what it was 2-3 years ago, the difference is HUGE. So in couple of years, it will be harder and harder to make money. And that goes to HU games too. I am pretty sure that at some point PLO HU will be like NL HU today, lots of regs waiting for fishes. The thing is that there will be more fishes in PLO. Two reasons for this:

      - It's a lot harder to understand that you are bad player in omaha. So there will be a lot of players who think they are a lot better what they really are.
      - It's always easy to gamble in PLO.
      There was no PLO10 2-3 years ago? :coolface:
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      Joined: 02.01.2009 Posts: 1,715
      don't forget that the fish like murky waters though.

      PLO is one of those games that can make a fish believe he is much better than he actually is. That will certainly make it easier to maintain a healthy poker economy.
    • GraemeDR
      GraemeDR
      Bronze
      Joined: 19.01.2011 Posts: 156
      Originally posted by conall88
      regulated play in USA will certainly help to extend the life of PLO even more.

      Hopefully that won't take much longer.
      Don't you think that the increased popularity of PLO will make it less likely that the US will loosen up on poker? because there is more variance in PLO it is therefore harder to prove that it is a skill game, which is often the problem. If it's seen as gambling then the US is not going to relax on it. There is certainly more "gamble" involved in PLO, and for the laymen who already think hold'em and Stud are just gambling (because they don't fully understand the mechanics of the games, and strategy) it will be even harder for them to see that PLO is not even worse gambling.

      Worse still, it will be harder to prove otherwise if players who are simply gambling and don't know what they're doing get lucky with variance and appear to be beating the so called better players.

      Personally I love PLO, although I'm not very good at it! it is fun to play at the low stakes, and hopefully get better.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      Joined: 02.01.2009 Posts: 1,715
      It's hard to not call PLO a game of skill as plenty of players make their living from it. There is plenty of evidence.

      You say it is harder to prove.

      I suppose you are gonna tell me that showing someone :

      http://www.pokertableratings.com/top-omaha-winners-year/top_winners.php?site=&game=Omaha&structure=&stakes=&timeframe=alltime&search.x=41&search.y=16&search=Search

      is not gonna be proof enough.

      There are people there with over 2.5million winnings over large samples.
      I think that is enough proof...
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      Joined: 19.05.2011 Posts: 834
      Originally posted by conall88
      It's hard to not call PLO a game of skill as plenty of players make their living from it. There is plenty of evidence.

      You say it is harder to prove.

      I suppose you are gonna tell me that showing someone :

      http://www.pokertableratings.com/top-omaha-winners-year/top_winners.php?site=&game=Omaha&structure=&stakes=&timeframe=alltime&search.x=41&search.y=16&search=Search

      is not gonna be proof enough.

      There are people there with over 2.5million winnings over large samples.
      I think that is enough proof...
      For each person won at PLO, I can show you 10 people won as much. At Lottery. Is that enough proof that lottery is a skill game?
    • mkirby
      mkirby
      Bronze
      Joined: 18.01.2011 Posts: 34
      I only play omaha cash now,+ Ive found that starting hands + position are the most underrated things in PLO,By starting hands I dont mean AA?? The best are 9,10,j,q d/suited (my fav.) I see it being around for a long long time.
    • 1
    • 2