[NL2-NL10] NL10 Bluffcatching

• rudders93
      rudders93
      Bronze
      Hi,

In this hand, my main question is about whether my call on the river was a good decision and about my turn play. I think my preflop play and cbet were fine, but that I should have second barrelled on the turn to represent an ace (I think he would have folded with any cards other than an ace or pocket 4s or 8s - so if he'd called/raised I would have had to fold). Would that have been better?

Secondly, with my river call, my thinking was that this looked incredibly like a bluff. If he had made a strong hand (say a straight, full house or if he'd had an ace), then why would he have over-bet AI? At NL10 I'd seen some similar plays where people just push with nothing, hence my hero call. If he had bet pot, or anything larger than half pot I would have folded. But what would you recommend in general with these "weird" situations?

Thirdly, I was looking to some poker maths explained. How can I calculate the % of times he needs to be bluffing in order for me to make this call profitable. Is there an article that explains this? I've been trying to figure it out, sadly can't see to be able to though :(

Thanks heaps for your advice!

Poker Stars $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 1640467
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

CO: $26.99
      BTN: $10.00
      SB: $46.39
      BB: $10.00
      UTG: $6.65
      Hero (MP): $14.30

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is MP with Q :club: Q :heart:
      UTG raises to $0.20, Hero raises to $0.70, 4 folds, UTG calls $0.50

Flop: ($1.55) 8 :club: 4 :diamond: A :diamond: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $1, UTG calls $1

Turn: ($3.55) A :spade: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero checks

River: ($3.55) 5 :spade: (2 players)
      UTG bets $4.95 all in, Hero calls $4.95
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello rudders93,

Preflop: 3betting for value vs min-raise is totally fine.
      Flop: Well, why do you CB the flop? Most likely I would Check behind cause there ain't going to be a lot worse hands which pay you anyways.

As played
      River: Nah, I don't really like that much the Call, he most likely ain't bluffing while it's a 3bet pot.

Thirdly, I was looking to some poker maths explained. How can I calculate the % of times he needs to be bluffing in order for me to make this call profitable. Is there an article that explains this? I've been trying to figure it out, sadly can't see to be able to though

Well, just calculate the equity needed. :)

Best Regards.