[NL2-NL10] AK is SB

• gg12gg
      gg12gg
      Bronze
      Hi.

Another hand I played today. Probably, I shouldn't have called the flop here.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $18.79
      BU:
      $11.02

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (4 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:spade: , K:spade:
      CO folds, BU raises to $0.25, Hero calls $0.20, BB folds.

My opponent is tight and I decide to just call here.

Flop: ($0.60) A:diamond: , K:diamond: , Q:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.38, Hero raises to $1.40, BU raises to $2.50, Hero calls $1.10.

Bingo! I have 2 pairs and he will likely c-bet here, so I check. He bets. The board is dangerous, so I raise.

And he re-raises. What should I do now? Fold?

I called here.

Turn: ($5.60) 8:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $3, BU calls $3.00.

The 3-rd diamond. I'm probably behind but he can fold some hands if he has no diamonds. Unfortunately, he has.

River: ($11.60) 4:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU checks.

Final Pot: $11.60

Results follow (highlight to see):
      BU shows a flush, ace high (Js Td)
      Hero shows (As Ks)

BU wins with a flush, ace high (Js Td)
  • 3 replies
    • numbnutter
      numbnutter
      Bronze
      I would advise 3betting AK here to avoid making such mistakes postflop. You say the guy is tight but his BU opening range is still gonna be pretty wide. Also your sample size is a little small to make accurate predictions of his tendencies.

As played, what do you think is his range for 3betting you on the flop? For me this is leaning much more towards made hands than draws here, and I think the made hands you beat (AQ, KQ) are more likely to call than reraise your 2bet here on such a scary board. For me folding is the best option here, followed by shoving. Calling is the worst option imo, if he's drawing he can fold on later streets without committing himself, and if he has a made hand that you beat then he wont pay you much more if scare cards (i.e. flush and straight cards) hit.

I don't think it's worth trying to bluff the turn either. There's much more chance of him having diamonds in his wide button range (plenty of suited connectors and suited gappers he can be stealing with), than you having diamonds in your defending range (especially with the A and K already on board). Also your flop play represents your actual hand much better than a drawing hand.

In conclusion: 3bet it preflop if you find it difficult to lay down such a hand on this flop :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello gg12gg,

Preflop: 3bet for value against BTN range.

As played
      Postflop: Why do you Call if you said bingo, 2 pairs? Calling the 3bet is worst play you could pick here, you are just giving him free cards! If you want to continue then 4bet and get it in or just fold. What's the reason for donking the turn? You weren't the aggressor.

Best Regards.
    • gg12gg
      gg12gg
      Bronze
      Thank you, veriz and numbnutter.