Fixed Limit Micros - Mark

• overson
      overson
      Bronze
      Hi, my name is Mark and I have played poker for 6 years. I had trouble getting volume in, but now I have more free time coming up.

So I just started playing again at .25/.50 and sometimes at .5/1 Fixed Limit SH on PokerStars. I stopped playing when full tilt went down since my entire bankroll was there. I decided to start playing again just a few weeks ago.

I am Canadian and write programs in assembly language for fun as well as play Starcraft Broodwar for fun.

My short term goals are to maintain gold and increase my skill.
      I wasn't table selecting good until the last 2 days, which shows in the graph. I just realized that playing Pokerstars peak hours allows best table selection. That time is 11am-10pm GMT.

Also the results seem a little buggy in elephant. My last computer was stolen along with all my data, books, and all my tools. So now I use elephant but it is only an approximation. I actually have about a breakeven result and not +$39.

But 6BB/100 seems quite good if it holds.
      Oh and my bankroll is about $300
  • 25 replies
    • overson
      overson
      Bronze
      So with good table selection it seems a bad session can be break even.
      My bankroll is now at $320. Even though I had many coolers I still exceeded my win rate.
    • Tarhonya
      Tarhonya
      Bronze
      Hi!

Nice to see a fellow FL player/SC fan!
      +Subscribed

Good luck at the tables!
    • overson
      overson
      Bronze
      Thanks for the support Tarhonya!

So today I continued to have success. I play about 30 minutes 2-3 tables unless the tables are too good to leave. Also I'm sticking to .25/.50 until I have 10k hands to make sure I know the limit. Here's the graph:
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      cool, nice to see more FL blogs popping up. :f_thumbsup:
    • overson
      overson
      Bronze
      So I continue to be careful table selecting and it is working. I started running cold but my new approach of being more passive when behind their range slowed my fall. It seemed I was doing better, but I continued to have many coolers. Also I played .5/1 along with .25/.50 because there were better games at the time I was selecting tables.
    • overson
      overson
      Bronze
      Feel free to ask questions or make suggestions.

I played many more hands today, sticking to .25/.50, 3 tables.

there were unbelievably good tables today. Once I was play 4 handed vs a nit, a calling station with 0.1 aggression and a maniac with about 76/50/3.0. I called with overpairs when 0.1 aggression calling stations donked or raised in reasonable pots just to see if they might bet worse, but I saw one check back a straight.

also I made bad laydowns too, the turn was 3bet or capped 3 way and i folded top pair and they both had second pair when the board was not scary.

I plan to play for 4-8 hours some days within the next 2 weeks.
    • Tarhonya
      Tarhonya
      Bronze
      Originally posted by overson
      also I made bad laydowns too, the turn was 3bet or capped 3 way and i folded top pair and they both had second pair when the board was not scary.
      I wouldn't call that a bad laydown at all. With TP after that much action you can't really see yourself ahead and you'll be beat almost everytime. It's really rare to see that you would won a huge pot with a weak hand like that and it might be annoying, but it's fine imo.

Nice winrate! :f_thumbsup:
    • Borisian
      Borisian
      Bronze

I am Canadian and write programs in assembly language for fun as well as play Starcraft Broodwar for fun.

Assembly language is fun?! Pull the other one!
    • Borisian
      Borisian
      Bronze
      Originally posted by datsmahname
      cool, nice to see more FL blogs popping up. :f_thumbsup:
      +1
    • overson
      overson
      Bronze
      Assembly language is probably not fun for many people. But I like to analyze crash dumps and reverse engineer code including packers and viruses. It gives me a thrill.
      Since assembly runs extremely quick, and the programs I reverse always seem to do things the slow way, I like to make things that run fast. I just finished making a complicated roulette system tester in assembly and am very satisfied. I'm about to start a much bigger, potentially commercial program soon and it is exciting for me.
    • Borisian
      Borisian
      Bronze
      Sounds like you have quite a talent for coding!

The only assembly language I liked was ARM due to the simplicity.

BTW how about reverse engineering the Stars client & network protocol ;)

B.
    • overson
      overson
      Bronze
      Unfortunately all the .25/.50 tables had huge waiting lists so I went to 1/2 and .5/1.

On top of that, I had some of the worst variance yet where all my top pairs didn't hold up.

I think a big part of the problem was that the tables got bad much faster than at lower limits, and I didn't notice fast enough.

But 100bb downswing isn't all that bad, just unfortunate it was at higher stakes.

• overson
      overson
      Bronze
      So today I played many hands but all at .5/1. This is because last time was so bad, I thought today was more likely to be good especially if I stayed on top of table selection, Which I did. I 3-4 tabled and as soon as the fish left or I realized the vpip was under 30 I left.

It wasn't as good as it could have been either. My AA and KK got cracked and my variance was still on the low side. But if 8bb/100 is close to my winrate at this stake, I'm happy.

And I looked into reversing poker clients out of curiosity, but a quick look revealed its all server side.

Here is my best hand of the session, I found it quite amusing:

Known players:
      Position
      SB
      BU

0.5/1 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.106 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:club: , T:club:
      2 folds, BU raises, SB 3-bets, Hero caps, BU calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12.00 SB) 6:club: , 5:club: , 2:spade: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets, BU raises, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.00 BB) 8:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets, Hero raises, BU 3-bets, Hero caps, BU calls.

River: (16.00 BB) Q:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets, BU raises, Hero 3-bets, BU caps, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 24.00 BB

Results follow (highlight to see):
      BU shows (8d 2d)
      Hero shows a flush, ace high (Ac Tc)

Hero wins with a flush, ace high (Ac Tc)

Here is another fun hand with a maniac in the hand:

Known players:
      Position
      SB
      CO

0.5/1 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.106 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:diamond: , 6:diamond:
      2 folds, CO raises, Hero 3-bets, SB caps, BB folds, CO calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (13.00 SB) 8:diamond: , 8:club: , 7:heart: (3 players)
      SB checks, CO bets, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (8.00 BB) 5:club: (3 players)
      SB checks, CO bets, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (11.00 BB) 4:diamond: (3 players)
      SB checks, CO checks, Hero bets, SB calls, CO calls.

Final Pot: 14.00 BB

Results follow (highlight to see):
      CO shows (Ah 7c)
      Hero shows a straight, eight high (Ad 6d)
      SB shows (As 4s)

Hero wins with a straight, eight high (Ad 6d)
    • Borisian
      Borisian
      Bronze

Here is my best hand of the session, I found it quite amusing:

I bet you did, lol, nice pot!
    • overson
      overson
      Bronze
      I am only going to post every few sessions because i think i was posting too much.

I have made a big discovery. After watching boomer's video and thinking more about optimal play, I realized it is possible to calculate optimally exploitive play based on combos vs individual players. I did some calculations with equilab and then applied it to my next 2 sessions.

Poker now makes precise sense in all situations. It is 100% dependant on my opponent. Doing it with combos is slightly inaccurate because of equity from outs, but I think it's much more profitable than not knowing what to do.

I then worked out optimal ranges in heads up limit and have been practising with play money since mistakes cost so much in heads up. Surprisingly there are some decent players there, and the practice is helping me to become comfortable and am wining.

the first 2 sessions are when i had just calculated 6max ranges. The 3rd session i didn't review my optimal combo ranges and was not as comfortable.

I played some cash heads up and won also.
    • overson
      overson
      Bronze
      So I have switched to LHE HU after some time practising and putting ranges in equilab.

Most guys leave quickly taking 10-50bb and quitting me or got broke with 10-20bb and leaving. It's a little frustrating when i just get a read on a guy and then he leaves.

the movement at the end of the graph was caused by playing a tight passive player who became loose passive after reacting to me, then became slightly more aggressive. I had extreme difficulty putting him on a range at that point because he seemed to be running so hot I couldn't tell how many bluffs he had in his range. My guess is not enough. I tried re-bluffing and calling down with the right frequency, but I tend to think now that I reacted to much to bluffs that just weren't very frequent and he was just running extremely good.

• overson
      overson
      Bronze
      I was checking the rake, and at this limit it is 9% So I am actually crushing this limit, but the rake is crushing me. I need figure out how to adjust my play to consider the rake(maybe partly by picking opponents very carefully), or wait until I can play a higher limit with less rake.

I figured out the rake I paid is about $1300 and im only down $400 now, so without rake I'm up $900 (That's 17BB/100!!)
    • overson
      overson
      Bronze
      I think I overestimated the amount of rake I paid. I experienced variance, and because of taking shots at heads up limit sngs without knowing the risk of ruin because I thought the reduced rake was allowing me to win with such a huge winrate (turns out I probably needed 50 buyings and I had about 4).

So I played heads up cash with a risk of ruin of 80% and I went broke.

But i knew that, so i planned to reload. For some reason the money is not going into my account.

In good news after playing and thinking about heads up, 6max seems much easier, and every time i play I have a steady and good winrate. I will post a graph when i get more hands in.

I will play a small amount of cash heads up(taking a shot), and if it goes bad I will fully switch back to 6max. Either way I'm avoiding the sngs, unless i calculate a good low risk of ruin.
    • Borisian
      Borisian
      Bronze
      I'm loving 6 max since I switched from FR.