Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $4.21
      MP2:
      $5.06

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.106 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:spade: , Q:spade:
      MP1 folds, MP2 raises to $0.25, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.52) Q:club: , T:spade: , 5:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.5, MP2 raises to $1.00, Hero calls $0.50.

Turn: ($2.52) 4:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.21, MP2 raises to $3.81 (All-In), Hero calls $1.75 (All-In), MP2 gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

River: ($8.44) 8:heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: $8.44

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP2 shows a pair of kings (Kh Kc)
      Hero shows (Ks Qs)

MP2 wins with a pair of kings (Kh Kc)
  • 5 replies
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, bharatgarg78!

Interesting spot indeed.

I'll not evaluate it yet and will even ask for Veriz's help in this one, even though I have some ideas.

However, why do you donk potsize on the flop? And why do you call his raise (instead of either re-raising or folding)? What hands do you expect he raises you the flop with? Once you bet again on the turn (after potting flop and him raising you) and he raises you yet again, what do you think he might have?

(I'm not saying you shouldn't have played like that, I'm just asking to understand your thought process in the hand. That way I think we can evaluate it better and you can improve your game more).
    • bharatgarg78
      bharatgarg78
      Bronze
      I hit the highest pair, so to protect it I went potsize on the flop. Should it have been 3BB instead?

Why I called his raise (and not raised or folded) - Not sure, probably I was not too confident of my hand.

On the turn - I bet because he had missed his flush draw if he was waiting for one.

I am still repenting why I called his raise on the turn. I think I should have folded there, but just fell in love with my high pair.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello bharatgarg78,

Add to full stack if playing BSS.

Preflop: Why do you Call here vs 5xBB raise + being OOP?

As played
      Postflop: Why do you donk here? You ain't even PFA, why don't you let him CB? After your play it doesn't really make sense to Call like that, if you even want to continue then rather just ship the flop but most likely I would Check/Call myself and reevaluate further actions. If you get raised in that kind of spot then more likely you are beaten.

Best Regards.
    • bharatgarg78
      bharatgarg78
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice veriz.

But can you elaborate a bit on your preflop comment.

code:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by bharatgarg78
      Thanks for the advice veriz.

But can you elaborate a bit on your preflop comment.

code:
      It means that you are mainly against dominated hands like AQ/AK and rarely will see a lot of worse Kx/Qx hands from his MP raise which is most likely tight. Plus we are out of position which is hard to play. Do you really think you have postflop advantage on the opponent?