how do i deal with bad beats

• charlieharvey
      charlieharvey
      Bronze
      To say i got stressed yesterday was an understatement. But i guess it shows the importance of bankroll management. With my starting capital i played a few 1 table sit and go's without much success so i thought i would try my hand at the cash tables. Starting off at 1c 2c, i made a few dollars fairly quickly, so moved up to 3c 5c. Again things went well and my hand reading of opponents seemed pretty good.

Now im sure there are lots of other people who have done the same thing here, after getting my starting capital up to $100 i moved up to 5c 10c and after reaching almost $150 moved again to 15c 25c. Yes i know, way way above proper bankroll management levels. I guess curiosity got the better of me as i wanted to see if i could hold my own at that level.

Well after taking $25 to the table after about half an hour i found myself on $32 which i was very happy about. Then i find myself in the co position with pocket kings. Utg raised to 75c, utg 2 and mid 1 both call for 75c, i decided to raise to $4.50, the small blind calls and everyone else folded. The flop came down 2 of hearts, 8 hearts, 4 clubs. Now i had been watching this guy play and my feeling was that he only plays the cards in front of him and gives no thought to what his opponents may have. Secondly i knew he liked to play suited connectors or 1 gappers. So i thought it possible he may have picked up some kind of draw or hit top pair on the board with a 87s. So i bet around two thirds of the pot. I was jumping for joy just a second later as he pushed all in. Of course i called putting all my $32 in the middle. He turns over 6 4 of spades. So he shoved all his cash in the middle after hitting just a four. What happens next? he hits another four on the turn. GUTTED!

But after calming down i reloaded with another $25 and once again was soon back to around $35. Then i get pocket queens in the sb. utg 2 raises to $1 and its folded round to me. Now against the hand range that i put him on, i reckoned there was a good chance i was ahead. so i raised up to $4 and he calls. Again a low, this time rainbow flop of 237. He made a pot size bet, but i reckon my queens are still good so i raised and he immediately went all in. For one minute i thought i had read his hand wrong and thought maybe he had kk or aa but after thinking it through i was sure he would have got all his money in pre flop. Anyway i called and he turned over 99 and i was over the moon thinking i was about to recover my earlier losses. That was until the river! Yep he hits a 9 on the river.
      Another two bad beats later and my bankroll is now down to $32. However a very important lesson has been learned. It really doesn't matter how good a poker player you are or think you maybe, If you don't have the bankroll to support the level you are playing at, you will probably get crushed, not because you are a bad player, but because you wont have the funds to recover from runs like the one i had yesterday.
      So don't do what i did, follow the bankroll management guide lines and give yourself a chance. Remember, bad beats like these happen at all levels. Had i only been playing 1c 2c or 3c 5c i wouldnt have lost so much and even more importantly, many players dont like playing at micro stakes because they think its full of facebook type players. Well im afraid you get them at the higher levels as well and after all, thats the kind of player you want to be up against because if you can overcome the bad luck i had, then you will take their money and it will be happy days. As for me im going back to 1c 2c while i still have some of my bankroll left. Good Luck Everyone.
  • 7 replies
    • Justin37
      Justin37
      Bronze
      bad beat do happen...
      That y i stop playing cash game , move to SNG.
    • staktas
      staktas
      Bronze
      There's no bad beats in SNGs? Srsly.....
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Originally posted by Justin37
      bad beat do happen...
      Wha? Is this sarcasm or serious? I hope sarcasm!

Meh bad beats are the reason we have such a thing as BRM. It doesn't matter if you are a better player than everyone else at the table, you can still lose 10 stacks in no time at all, potentially in ten hands.

I've been moving up and down the limits with aggro BRM trying to get away from the micro's once and for all and that takes some serious discipline... Last night I had a whale to my left shoving any ace. Three times round the table I found myself on the button with KK, AJs, ATs... Each time I raised first in and sb shoves every time... Each time he has a suited A and each time he either hit his flush or spiked a pair to beat me. 3 stacks down in 3 orbits, I was running pretty cold anyways and this put me 3 stacks from moving down a limit. Luckily I got some run good and ended my session 2 stacks up after about 1200 hands.

Don't let bad beats get you down, in fact, be happy that you made a +EV play and make sure that if you're going to use aggro BRM you have set rules for moving up\down.

At the micros I'm using 50 Euros as my break point, at 50 I move down to NL2 with 25 stacks but up from there I take shots with 15 buy ins moving back down if I lose 3. This means moving up and down a lot which does hurt so make sure you know your rules and stick to them otherwise you'll go broke.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi charlieharvey,

that does sound like a rollercoaster ride! and you might think it ended badly but i wouldnt be so sure. for one thing, seems like you learned a lesson which could possibly save you thousands in the future. also, you actually managed to stop before you were completely broke. as long as you have a roll and brm, its not game over yet. bad beats are inevitable, everyone knows this in theory but many players starting out dont really think it would happen to them. it happens to everybody and the earlier you can protect yourself from them with proper brm, the better off you will be. :)

let us know how you get on!

smiles,
      wendy
    • charlieharvey
      charlieharvey
      Bronze
      thanks everyone :)
    • Justin37
      Justin37
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Justin37
      bad beat do happen...
      Correction : that y i move to SNG where i will only lose my "buy in".

Bad beat do happen in any kind of poker n also in real life...
    • deezer79
      deezer79
      Silver
      Variance in SnG kicks my arse. But I do feel for you regarding good BRM at those levels, I just can't play 1/2c cash. Don't care enough about the stakes. Rough beats. Swallow it down and take a little rest. You'll love poker again in a couple of days. As much as shove-monkey donks are good for the game - hurts so bad when they're rewarded for their antics.