[NL2-NL10] Playing a top pair out of position againts a mid stack

• gg12gg

In this hand I was playing against a man with 40bb. I think, my hand was worth 20-30bb, but his small stack made me put too many chips in the pot.

How would you play this hand?

Known players:

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:heart: , T:diamond:
      3 folds, CO raises to $0.40, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.30.

My opponent is tight but he raises from late position, so AT is worth a call.

Flop: ($0.85) A:spade: , 7:club: , 2:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.7, Hero calls $0.70.

I have a top pair but my kicker isn't strong, I play check-call.

Turn: ($2.25) Q:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $2.3, Hero raises to $7.13 (All-In), CO calls $0.80 (All-In).

A high card lays on the table and the villain shoots the 2nd barrel. Because of his small stack, call here is not an option - either fold or his all-in.

I thought that there were more weaker aces (A3, A4, A5, A6, A8, A9) than stronger aces (AK, AQ, AJ, A7,A2), so I raise.

River: ($12.48) 3:diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: $12.48

Results follow (highlight to see):
      CO shows a pair of aces (Ac Ks)
      Hero shows a pair of aces (Ah Td)

CO wins with a pair of aces (Ac Ks)
      Hero wins with a pair of aces (Ah Td)
  • 3 replies
    • MrJohnAce
      I don't like calling AT OoP against a raise. Actually, I don't like calling with AT at all! I think AT does better when you're the Aggressor. Against a possible steal raise from the CO, I'll 3bet/fold in the blinds with AT and maybe call with ATs on the BTN (if I felt that at least one of the blinds might call).

You're doomed to calling it down if you flop an Ace. A Ten on the Flop would've been better, but would still suck, because you won't really know where you're at and being OoP makes it all so much harder and expensive to find out.
    • gg12gg
      Thank for opinion.
      I think, I call with AT in SB mainly because I myself play pretty loose from BTN and CO. I can open with almost any ace, pairs, a lot of suited connectors, and hands like KJ.

But I think, even taking into consideration his tight image, AT not so bad against his range - it is ahead of high cards and suited connectors (I think, he might open with QJs or JTs) and is coin flip with pairs up to 99.
    • veriz
      Hello gg12gg,

Add to full stack if playing BSS.

Preflop: Snap-Fold! You are against a tight opponent, his range beats you.

As played
      Postflop: Totally overplayed your hand, how many hands do you beat there? :) Doubt that you going to see a lot worse Ax hands, yours ain't that strong either. :D

Best Regards.